They Installed A Smart Meter When My Back Was Turned

Page 4 of 4

I guess I did. I still don't understand the big whoop about smart meters. Frankly, I'm just as happy not to have some meter reader trudging through my yard. My water meter has been remote read for quite some time and it has worked out beautifully.
Cindy Hamilton

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 17:09:37 GMT, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

My utility is also publicly traded but they walk in lock-step with every enviro-wacko initiative of the State gubamint. The Public Service Commission almost always sides with them in disputes. It's hard to 'splain but they've always come off as Big Brother to moi.
On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:26:39 AM UTC-5, Don't smoke; eat well; ex ercise; die anyway wrote:

, per the power co's notification. More importantly, they weren't supposed to install it until you gave your verbal OK when they came to the door, bec ause it's a political issue and potentially litigious. But the contractors are really hustling for the commission that the power co. pays for each ins tallation. Settling aside the allegations that these things emit harmful ra ys and are a riskier fire hazard than the standard meters, I can't see any benefit to the consumer. Can see benefit to the power co., e.g., they will no longer need meter readers. More control from Big Brother exerting his wi ll.
Yes, the FCC rules do apply to smart meters. However, I'm not sure if the Part15 residential rules or the Part 18 Industrial, scientific, and medical rules apply. I would guess the Part 15 residential requirements would app ly for interference to nearby "things". But if a person uses a cellphone f or even a minute a month, they are getting a lot more radio-frequency radia tion than they would get from a smart meter, even if they were inside the h ouse on the wall opposite where the smart meter was located on the outside. I think those people suffer from "electrophobia".
We had a lot of protesters here in Napervlle, IL, when the smart meters wer e starting up. The protesters would even talk on their cellphones while th ey were protesting, it was rediculous.
On 10/23/2013 8:26 AM, Don't smoke; eat well; exercise; die anyway wrote:

The benefit in area where the meters are all behind locked gates is pretty big. Prior to the smart meter I had to read my own meter and put a card in the window with the reading, unless I wanted to stay home and wait for the meter reader and let them in.
In San Francisco most of the houses have the meter facing the street and it's inside the garage but readable through a small glass window. Not the case out in the suburbs.
There is an opt-out option where I live. There's a one-time cost of $75 to put a dumb meter back in, then a monthly cost of $10. Maybe your power company has a similar program that you could sign up for.
<http://www.pge.com/en/myhome/customerservice/smartmeter/optout/index.page
sms wrote:

Hmmm, What? read the meter and jot it down on a card? Our meters(water, NG, power) are all remotely read. Meter reader just pass by the house to read them. Next phase, a big bird in the sky will read them feeding directly into bill computer system. Alas, meter readers will become extinct.