They finally found proof texting bans - does it make a difference

Page 9 of 16

What you said was quite clear.

You're the one wanting to discuss your fucked up paragraph, you go get it.
--
Sex drive: a physical craving that begins in adolescence and ends at marriage.

Yet you got it wrong, and even after being told you got it wrong, you continue to claim I said something I did not say, which says a lot about you.

I was told by the person who fucked up that they didn't fuck up, excuse me if I choose not to believe you.
--
You can listen to thunder after lightning to tell how close you came to getting hit. If you don't hear it nevermind.

This shit is why usenet has so few viable groups left. Do you really want to kill this one too?
On 01/22/2016 01:52 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

--
Cheers,
Bev

--
A group of cowboys were branding some cattle.
While they were out the cook saw a sheep tied to a post. Thinking it was for that nights dinner he cooked it.
On 22/01/2016 22:47, The Real Bev wrote:

That's what killfiles are for. You never need to hear from the trolls/idiots/flamers again.
On 01/26/2016 06:11 AM, chris wrote:

Of course. It's also possible to just not look at things. But when the overwhelming majority of posts are pure trash, reasonable people just stop reading. I'm tougher than most, I don't give up easily, and I know how useless taking a group moderated can be. If people would just stop responding to the shitheads (clearly an impossibility, as history shows) the problem would disappear; unfortunately, it's more likely that the group disappears.
Of the groups into which this is x-posted, I only read comp.mobile.android. I really hope that this crap doesn't kill that group.
--
Cheers, Bev

People have been trying and failing to kill Usenet for a long, long time. I wouldn't worry about it. Anyhow, you can thank "Jack Black", the OP, for x-posting this to misc.phone.mobile.iphone, comp.mobile.android, and alt.home.repair. He's a well-known troll in the Apple news groups who has a habit of x-posting to these news groups and changing his nym on a regular basis.
On 01/27/2016 11:52 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:

The groups that I reallly liked and was involved with are all dead. Perhaps people just find facebook easier to deal with. Or more pleasant. Or something.

I suppose I should add an entry to the killfile, but it's just easier to avoid a thread that has clearly turned to shit.
--
Cheers, Bev
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

What has actually happened is that almost no one has even heard of usenet, so inevitably it fades away as people die off or stop using it.

On 01/27/2016 05:07 PM, Orange wrote:

Few used it even when it was highly active. When I rode on the ski lifts with strangers I asked them if they ever used any of the skiing or other newsgroups. Granted, a small sample -- maybe 100 people, if that -- but you'd think that ONE might have been an addict. Nope.
For swift help from strangers, many of whom are actually qualified to offer it, nothing has even come close. The "forums" are maddeningly inefficient and the users are frequently... of negative utility.
--
Cheers, Bev
I'd tell you a UDP joke, but you might not get it.

And few had even heard about it even then.
When I rode on the ski

And I wouldn’t be surprised if almost none of them had even heard about it.

You clearly don’t use facebook. Even with the most basic question like what shops are open on Xmas day or who is the best vet to get a pet microchipped at most cheaply, you normally get an answer very quickly, even if you ask at say 4am.
The "forums" are maddeningly

Yeah, facebook works a lot better with some questions.
Much worse with other questions like say how to get an iphone to auto answer in speakerphone mode etc. But that one is much better answered with google than either.
On 01/27/2016 08:28 PM, Orange wrote:

Exactly. The closest response was "You mean like myspace?"

Most of my FB friends live in other states and are unlikely to know such things. What do you mean?
--
Cheers, Bev
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I wasn’t talking about facebook friends.

The local facebook group. Ours is called 'xxxxxx community notice board'
On 01/28/2016 12:24 AM, Orange wrote:

In my experience with other 'local' non-facebook groups, 'local' people for my locality are... inexpert.
--
Cheers,
Bev

You don’t need to be an expert in that sort of thing, just to have noticed it or to have experienced it.
And you get the experts there too. In the case of the places open on a national holiday, one of the few places in my town that chose to be open that day did in fact publicise that fact in that group deliberately.
The same thing has happened with those the people who show up in town and will microchip your pet in your own home much more cheaply than the vets will do it for, in a blitz town by town. That is in fact by far the best way to get the word out when you are doing something like that, now that so few bother to pay for the town newspaper anymore.
Same with those whose pet goes missing, plenty post a picture of it in that facebook group and quite quickly have someone say where they have seen the pet. And the reverse, post a picture of a pet that has clearly got lost, to have others say whose pet it might be and have the owner show say that it is theirs and thank the original poster.
That's in a town of about 26K people.
On 01/28/2016 11:05 AM, Orange wrote:

I was trying to be diplomatic. What I really meant was "too dumb to actually have a useful opinion about anything including the current weather".

I canceled ours a few years ago (after having read it for over 50 years) because it had degenerated into social notes and "We buy gold" advertisements.

140K. I've lived here for 48 years and I don't even know my next door neighbors, although we say 'Hi' on the off-chance that we happen to see one another.
--
Cheers, Bev
I'd tell you a UDP joke, but you might not get it.

That isnt the case with those facebook groups where people ask who is currently getting no mains power, what time the fireworks are scheduled to happen at, is a particularly TV channel currently being broadcast, does anyone recognise this lost pet etc.

Ours still does have all the local news, like the house that was just set alight deliberately, the ones that burn down accidentally, what new businesses are starting up, which ones are closing, the latest shit fight between the local politicians and the town councillors etc.

I know all of mine very well indeed and have known about half of them for well over 40 years. And I did with most of them when I lived in the much bigger city of 200K too. And I know that that much bigger city has the same sort of facebook groups too because quite a few of those who I have known for 40+ years have moved there, including one of my neighbours.
And the kids I just recently helped to move to a much bigger city again of 5M also have them too and we used them to get some stuff for the place they are renting instead of buying it new.

Nailed it!
leo

Facebook? That's worse.
--
Computers can never replace human stupidity.