They finally found proof texting bans - does it make a difference

Page 8 of 16

Nope. I'm not sure if you are being intentionally obtuse, or you are just missing the point. Of course it is the responsibility of the driver to pay attention to conditions around them; but it is an accepted fact that humans do not multitask well, and the driving environment forces us to multitask as a necessity. Two sets of eyes and ears are better than one. If the driver happens to be looking in one direction (to check cross traffic, for instance), a passenger who is holding a conversation with the driver can see something critical happening in the other direction, and their audible and/or visible (perhaps even tactile) reaction can inform the driver. That simply cannot happen if the person on the other end of the conversation is miles away blabbering nag away on the other end of the phone.

You seem to be making two points, and are correct about one of them. Yes, two people in a car increases the chances of spotting a problem. But that's nothing to do with phones or conversations. People DO multitask and they're very good at it. If you're not, maybe you should consider not driving, which already involves doing about 5 things at once.
--
Interesting fact number 476:
80% of millionaires drive used cars.

I'm right about everything I just said.

Yes it does, for the reasons explained above.

I didn't say people *can't* multitask - I said they *suck* at it, which has been scientifically proven. The fact is people are not very good at multitasking, and studies also show the ones who think they are the best at it are actually among the worst. The fact remains a passenger who is holding a conversation with a driver can respond to cues while a person miles away over the phone simply cannot.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics. Most people (there are thickos like you who can't) multitask well, as I just said, it's required to drive, driving in itself requires several things to be done at once. Adding one (the phone) to that makes fuck all difference.
--
The dandelion swayed in the gentle breeze like an oscillating electric fan set on medium.

Personal insults. Not surprised. You lose.

No, an observation that you can't do a simple task like multitasking.
--
Sky have just won the rights to screen the first World Origami Championships from Tokyo.
Unfortunately it's only available on Paper View.
Mr Macaw wrote:

Mr Macaw is the well known unemployable wanker and troll Peter Hucker. He has many socks.

Good to know. Thanks.

Many socks indeed, as does the person you just replied to.
--
I just found out one of my friends has died.
He overdosed on indigestion liquid.

You haven't observed any such thing, liar. You lose.

You're the one that said it was true, did you lie?
--
Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! ..But He loves you. -- George Carlin

You haven't observed my driving. You lose.

So you're admitting your claim was false?
--
For this race I'm going to be using "beati dogu". Japanese for the ancient art of driving a sports car round a track faster than a greyhound. -- Richard Hammond

Name the claim I made that was false.

You said it was scientifically proven that people cannot multitask.
--
Times are tough.
Just the other day, I saw a beggar who was so broke that he was standing on the corner shouting at the cars that went by.

Nope. You have a reading comprehension problem. Read what I actually said again and get back with me. Or don't - I care not. Your trolls are boring.

You've snipped it, paste it back in.
--
A patient complained to his doctor, "I've been to three other doctors and none of them agreed with your diagnosis."
The doctor calmly replied, "Just wait until the autopsy, then they'll see that I was right."

No, I'm just too lazy to spend time finding the post. If it isn't in the post I'm replying to, then fuck off.
--
Peter Hucker is in the top three most intelligent people -- Ron Tompkins, circa 2013.

You're too lazy to read for comprehension too; so no surprise there.

After you, bozo.