They finally found proof texting bans - does it make a difference

Page 6 of 16
On 1/21/2016 8:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Is that cruise control?
--
Maggie

try 2017: <http://www.computerworld.com/article/3006433/emerging-technology/volvo- unveils-self-driving-concept-car-promises-fleet-by-2017.html>

also wrong, nor does it need to be the majority of vehicles.

they're doing that not because of choice, but because stupid lawmakers are requiring it.

that does not need to happen for there to be massive benefits.
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 15:26:42 -0500

elf-driving cars operate as ground-based surveillance drones collecting ima ges and data on both drivers and the public at large, according to World Ec onomic Forum insiders.
“The availability and resolution of imaging from satellites, drones , self-driving cars and more will continue to increase exponentially,? ? said Sedicii Innovation CEO Rob Leslie, an agenda contributor for the 2 016 World Economic Annual Meeting in Davos-Klosters, Switzerland from Jan. 20-23. “This will drive the creation of ever more sophisticated ana lysis algorithms, products and companies.”
In other words, the tech elite – and their partners in government – are attempting to transform the automobile from a symbol of freed om into another surveillance node in a centrally-controlled data network in which car companies, insurers and government bureaucracies track, tax and control drivers.
Another Davos attendee, Business Insider’s Matthew DeBord, previous ly revealed that data collection is the “glue that binds up? ? both self-driving cars and soon-to-be-released cars communicating to on e another via vehicle-to-vehicle communications.
“General Motors has made a big bet on high-speed wireless connectiv ity throughout its vehicle fleet,” he wrote. “Luxury carmak ers such as BMW and Audi are rapidly enhancing the ability of the their car s to be as digitally enabled as smartphones, and Google and Apple are aggre ssively experimenting with both software and hardware, through Android Auto , self-driving cars, and Apple Car Play.”
The Department of Transportation is already trying to require vehicle-to-ve hicle communications installed in every new car and truck sold in the U.S. which would force vehicles to share data such as speed and direction with e ach other via WiFi-style technology under the guise of “accident pr evention.”
“Our goal is to see this technology put in place as soon as possibl e,” Transportation Secretary Antony Foxx said.
It’s quite plausible this technology will also allow cops parked on the side of the road to gather speed data from passing cars without the ne ed of radar guns.
And with vehicle tracking, big government politicians could also accomplish their goal of taxing drivers by every mile driven.
Car companies and their technology partners also have an interest in data c ollection which can be resold to third-parties for advertisement purposes.
For example, General Motors admitted in 2011 its OnStar system collects and sells personal data from your vehicle such as speed, location, seat belt u sage and other information.
“Who would be interested in that data, you ask? Law enforcement agencies, for starters, as well as insurance companies,” Zach Bowman with Autoblog.com reported. “Perhaps the most startling news to come out of the OnStar terms and conditions is the fact that the company can continue to collect the information even after you disconnect the service.”
On 1/20/2016 2:23 PM, Muggles wrote:

not to be distracted while driving.
But cell phone use is still a choice, and it's not the phone that's the problem, its the conversation. I've seen no indication that hands free use of a phone is any safer. The facts seem to indicate that talking on the phone at all, while driving, is dangerous.
The ability to render a cell phone useless while in a car already exists. Why they don't use it is beyond me.
On 1/20/2016 5:40 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

Attitude. Bad things only happen to the other guy, not me.
On 1/20/2016 7:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I suppose it's the "stick your head in the sand" philosophy. Sad, but true.

nope. the reason is because jamming is illegal, and for good reason.

because passengers would be incredibly pissed if their phones don't work, as would the driver in an emergency.
On 1/20/2016 8:06 PM, nospam wrote:

Individual phones can be set to drive mode so passengers are not affected. The driver can get back to normal in a touch or two. if you don't want to use the phone while driving you even have the option of ignoring it. There really is no excuse.
I sometimes make or receive a call, other times I ignore it. I always ignore text messages until I'm stopped.
On 1/20/2016 7:06 PM, nospam wrote:

stop the car, or the car would already be stopped, thus rendering the phone usable again.
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 16:40:50 -0600, SeaNymph wrote:

That's funny.
All the cellphones-are-killing-us folks are arguing that cars are getting safer at the exact same rate that the cellphone-caused accidents are occurring.
So, you're arguing both sides of the coin.
You can't have that.
You have to either pick that cars are getting safer, and *that* is why nobody can find the accidents - or - if you argue that cars are getting more distracting - you can't then argue that those distractions are causing accidents.
It seems that you'll argue *anything* as long as it results (in your mind) in accidents (that you can't find).
I sure hope you don't vote.
On 1/21/2016 12:49 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

which I believe to be true.
Cell phones don't kill people, any more than guns do. It's the people using them who kill people.
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 14:23:52 -0600, Muggles wrote:

If you're gonna ban cellphones, you may as well ban GPS. And coffee. And radio dials. And that damn defroster button (now where is it?) Oh, and ban crying babies. And dogs. And, while you're at it, let's ban wives who nag incessantly. Certainly let's ban putting on makeup (unless it's hands free). Or, reading a map (unless it's also hands free). Let's ban coffee hotter than 120 degrees or more than 3/4 full. Since we're banning distractions, we have to ban loud music. And about ten thousand other common distractions.
On 1/21/2016 12:44 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

Yeah! I'd vote for that, especially, in grocery stores and restaurants.

--
Maggie

In article

and airplanes. nothing sucks more than a screaming baby nearby, or worse, in the next seat.

Add people with bad body odor to that list.

People who hold their phone horizontally out in front of them as if they're balancing an invisible drink on it, having conversations on speakerphone as they shop, so everyone else in the store is forced to hear both sides of their worthless blathering.

On 01/21/2016 02:17 PM, nospam wrote:

Or stinky obese people with their rolls of sweaty greasy fat hanging over the arm rest.

Experience shows they don't have to be overweight to stink.
Wild Bill wrote:

You youself was once a baby, your kids too. Give some slack. Usually baby sits at the most front seat with more room.