They finally found proof texting bans - does it make a difference

Page 4 of 16

By checking if the phone was being used at the time of the accident, stupid.

No need to ask if your are a bare faced liar, the answer is obvious.

There are.

They do.

And the increase in accidents due to those actually stupid enough to use their phones while driving has been swamped by the reduction in accidents due to the better design of the roads and the rate of injury to those in the car by the better design of the cars.
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 19:34:38 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

While I admit that's easier to do now than ever, the fact is that there are roughly a few hundred thousand accidents per year in the USA and nobody is checking each of those accidents for whether a cell phone was in actual use during the exact time of said accident.
So your answer is merely cherry picking, and hence, useless for an overall idea of what is going on.
It's as if you're a fifteen century philosopher who notices maggots on meat and proclaims spontaneous life has formed on your meat.

Bullshit. The research is being done, but you refuse to acknowledge it because it doesn't fit your silly narrative that cell phone use while driving is perfectly safe.
<http://www.distraction.gov/stats-research-laws/research.html

Projection.
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 19:35:48 +0000, Jolly Roger wrote:

Heh heh ... show me where in those stats it shows the accident rate rising due to cellphone use while driving!
Remember, your theory *predicts* and *requires* accidents.

You think you are witty; but you're anything but.

They show that distracted driving, including cell phone use, does cause accidents. That's something you dispute, because you are a fool.

It's not a theory - it's a fact. Distracted driving does cause accidents. The data you so desperately want to ignore shows that. You are the *last* person to be schooling others on the subject.
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 02:16:03 +0000, Jolly Roger wrote:

Except that nobody can *find* these accidents.

Accidents due to distractions such as cell phones are well known and documented. The only one who refuses to see them is you. Here's some more data you will ignore or claim doesn't exist:
<http://www.nsc.org/DistractedDrivingDocuments/Association-between-cellular-telephone-calls-and-motor-vehicle-collisions.pdf

Just another of your bare faced lies, you silly little pathological liar.

Just another of your bare faced lies, you silly little pathological liar.
<reams of your even sillier shit and lies flushed where it belongs>
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 12:56:00 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

Eloquent.

if the exact time of the crash can't be determined (and it usually can't), then there's no way to know if a phone was in use at the time of the crash. it also could have been used by a passenger.
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 12:13:06 -0500, nospam wrote:

Also, they can be using the phone to do a zillion things that don't leave a time print.

It can mostly be determined accurately enough to see whether the driver was texting at the time of the accident.

Not when there was no passenger.

no it can't.
unless there's surveillance video with an accurate timestamp or witnesses with a time reference (i.e., 911 calls coming in), it's nothing more than a guess.

that's why i said could and not was.
On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 3:13:44 PM UTC-8, Paul M. Cook wrote:

There have been several fatalidty accidents in my vicinity (widthing 20 mil e radius) in which it was proven the driver was on CP when they happened. One in whick there is a suspicion it was a suicide as he was texting good-b y as he went through the 18 wheeler's radiator at 60.
Harry K
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 11:44:05 -0800, Jack Black wrote:

You are confused. They couldn't find any direct relationship to accidents whatsoever! Says so right in the article. They were grasping at straws trying to find something (anything) related.
On 19/01/2016 07:41, Vlad Lescovitz wrote:

Nope. They tested explicitly whether certain factors affected car crash related hospitalisations. The texting ban as well as seatbelt laws had a significant effect in reducing hospitalisations.
All of which makes perfect sense. The original article is here: http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/full/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302537
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 19:59:18 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

Driving isn't an inherently safe thing to do, so, sure, of course there are myriad distractions inherent in the mere act of driving.
The fact that almost anyone can drive means that driving is, essentially, in the scope of the easiest tasks humans can do.
So, it's *easy* to drive and *not safe* to be distracted.
Since most of us never have a single accident in our entire lives, and yet, most of us have been distracted a billion times while driving, what that means is that we constantly safely handle distractions.
That *some* people can't handle distractions is probably partially why the accident rate remains at the low level that it is today.
However, the fact that this accident rate was wholly unaffected by the absolutely astoundingly huge increase in cellphone ownership numbers (hence, most people assume, in cellphone use distractions), simply means exactly what it shows.
That is, cellphone use is not any more distracting than any other distraction that most drivers handle safely every single day.

It is simplicity itself to demonstrate that TXTing while driving impairs reaction times, as many have shown, for many years now e.g. <http://www.caranddriver.com/features/texting-while-driving-how-dangerous-is-it But continue to deny that you are affected by distractions, and that magically you are a better driver and better able to multitask than others. Of course an accident resulting from distractions such as TXTing would never happen to _you_! That is only something that happens to '_other_ people'. _You're_ special :-)
I guess some people never quite manage to mature past the teenage feeling of invulnerability, to instead deal with reality and take responsibility...

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 23:12:46 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

I can easily leave a piece of meat outside and flies will be growing on it, so, as in your "study" above, I've "proven" the point that flies like meat.
So what?
The fact is: 1. All of us (including me) would assume that distractions are dangerous. 2. All of us (including me) would assume that cellphones are distracting. 3. All of us (including me) would assume that they're a BIG distraction! 4. All of us (including me) would assume that will result in accidents!
That none of us (including you and that study) can find these accidents should be cause for all of us to doublecheck our assumptions.
On 1/20/2016 4:12 AM, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

I'm reading this thread from the repair group, so I don't recognize the names of the people in this discussion. I do have a question about your last comment, here.
Do you think that since teens and those who grew up using cell phones are more adept at using the technology and would, therefore, also be more inclined to use it while driving without it being a bigger distraction to them than say listening to a radio?
--
Maggie