They finally found proof texting bans - does it make a difference

Page 3 of 16
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 16:53:17 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The school system failed you. You're clearly *not* a scientist nor educated in the scientific method.
Just like you, I know of two instances where flies were created by spontaneous generation.
One, was when I left a piece of rotting meat outside, and, a week later, it was covered in maggots. Surely that means I suspect spontaneous generation, does it not?
Second anecdotal "proof" was when I pooped outside on my deck. Wouldn't you know it, but within HOURS, maggots were all over it.
Since I saw this with my very own eyes, spontaneous generation must be true. I saw it with my own eyes, and I *believe* my own eyes.
I have not one, but *two* examples of spontaneous generation that I saw with my very own eyes (who needs stinkin' science when I have my own eyes that I trust more than all the science in the world!).
Just like it says in this article on that exact subject!
How Anecdotal Evidence Can Undermine Scientific Results Or...Why subjective anecdotes often trump objective data http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-anecdotal-evidence-can-undermine-scientific-results/
On 1/20/2016 7:53 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

You said there were NONE. I have proof of two. I know nothing of your flies. Has nothing to do with science, it is just a fact of something that happened.
If you said "not many" or "very few" I'd not dispute it, but you said "none" and that is wrong.
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 20:17:55 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had to laugh, that, after you read the article showing that people actually believe (laughably so) that "anecdotal" evidence is "proof", you then say, presumably with a straight face that "I have proof of two".
The school system definitely failed you. I sure hope you don't vote.
On 1/20/2016 8:57 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 21:51:10 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

There is a police report that shows that the overall accident rate in the United States has risen due to cellphone use?
If this police report existed, how come the study's authors couldn't find it?
Remember, the study did NOT find that the accident rate increased.
They only found that hospitalizations increased by 7%.
The accident rate was the same with or without cellphone bans.
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 14:27:23 +1300, Your Name wrote:

Nospam already explained this rather well.
Let me ask you the basic question...
How do police get *that* data?
C'mon ... think ... I know it hurts to ... but think.

More insults of intellect. Not surprised.
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 02:23:42 +0000, Jolly Roger wrote:

And, you didn't answer the question. Not surprisingly.
The police make up the data almost all the time.
They can guess. They can infer. They can interrogate. They can subpoena.
But, in general, they just guess.

You are confused again. You asked the question of Your Name - not me. You don't get this Usenet thing, do you?

When gas prices didn’t, the entire 'analysis' is dubious because that must have some effect on the traffic volume on the roads. Yes, plenty of traffic like to and from work will continue anyway, but some traffic is optional and even with travel to and from work, they will be more car sharing and use of public transport with the higher gas prices.

Not the gas prices.

On 19/01/2016 18:42, Rod Speed wrote:

Possibly, but there was no difference between states that had a texting ban vs those which didn't. Which is what was being measured. Any effect of price was uniform between them.
On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 22:23:39 +0000, chris wrote:

That's a good point, although, just to the point of price, there *is* a huge (possibly static?) difference in price state-to-state for gas at any one time.
Why California Drivers Pay Highest Gas Prices http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/11/19/why-california-drivers-pay-highest-gas-prices/
Californians seem to be paying higher gas prices than anywhere else in the country.
According to AAA, the current national average is $2.12 per gallon. Here is a look at the gas prices from around the country: NATIONAL AVERAGE PRICES State     Gallon Colorado     $2.00 Florida     $2.15 Illinois     $2.08 Massachusetts     $2.13 Minnesota     $2.09 Montana     $2.34 New Jersey     $1.86 North Carolina     $2.01 Pennsylvania     $2.32 Texas     $1.90 Washington State     $2.50 Source: AAA
In California, drivers pay an average of $2.78 a gallon, 60 cents above the national average.

Absolutely certainly, you can see that in the stats.

You said gas prices had no effect.
On 20/01/2016 01:33, Rod Speed wrote:

Which stats?

In this study. Which was looking at the difference in hospitalisation rates between states with or without bans on texting while driving. Presumably fuel prices would change more or less in sync in all states and so would have no differential effect between the ban or no-ban states.

The change in traffic volumes with the price of gas.

They don’t actually.

On 21/01/2016 02:01, Rod Speed wrote:

And they are shown where...?

How so? Evidence?

regardless of whether they do or do not change in sync, according to the study any changes in fuel price are not associated with changes in hospitalisation rates between the ban vs no-ban states.
On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 14:22:28 +0000, chris wrote:

Except, where are the accidents everyone seems to say are *caused* by driving while using a cell phone?
The *accidents* don't seem to exist.
On 1/19/2016 6:13 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

How would anyone ever know? Would anyone be stupid enough to admit their texting caused an accident?
Yes officer, the accident was all my fault. I was busy texting instead of paying attention to the road.

By checking whether they were texting at the time of the accident, particularly with those who only have the driver in the car at the time.

They don’t have any choice in that in some situations.

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 20:41:51 -0500, Porky Pig wrote:

How would anyone ever know? Are you crazy?
If there were more accidents, they'd show up in the accident reports. Accident reports have been compiled accurately in the USA for decades.