They finally found proof texting bans - does it make a difference

Page 12 of 16
On Jan 23, 2016, Mr Macaw wrote

There are others on the road who might not be limited by your 30MPH ideal.
--

Regards,
Savageduck
On 1/23/2016 7:32 PM, Savageduck wrote:

Moot point. The human body is not capable of surviving speeds that high even if a machine was invented that could do it. A good day traveling on a horse is 20 to 30 miles in a day. Plenty fast enough.
On Jan 23, 2016, Ed Pawlowski wrote

Wait until they start adding safety requirments for commuting by pogo stick.
--

Regards,
Savageduck

Not to mention it is perfectly possible to have a nasty crash at 50KPH. Especially if you hit an object moving towards you, which greatly increases the kinetic energy released. But you forget, Savageduck - Macaw is a special snowflake. His life and physics itself works different for him.

The kinetic energy is doubled, but halved again as it's dissipated into both cars.
--
A Woman's Rule of Thumb: If it has tyres or testicles, you're going to have trouble with it.

On Jan 23, 2016, Your Name wrote

I’ll go along with that.

Naah! Now you are showing a particular antipodal bias which doesn’t really apply here as there is no real evidence of his nationality.

Yup! ...or fined.

That seems fair.
--

Regards,
Savageduck
Mr Macaw wrote:

What do you think happens at 70mph?
--
I used to not get along with my mother-in-law, but over the last few
months, I've developed quite an attachment for her. It goes over her

For example, if you have a head-on collision with another car going 30mph, that's a 60mph crash.

Oh no not another idiot who flunked physics. 30mph into an identical car doing 30mph in the opposite direction is the same, PRECISELY the same, as a 30mph car into an immovable concrete wall. You decelerate from 30mph to 0mph in the same time. Your kinetic energy loss is the same. The other car has the same kinetic energy, but that goes to damaging him, not you.
--
The remarkable thing about my mother is that for 30 years she served us nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found. -- Calvin Trillin

Says the guy who put me in his killfile then replied to me straight afterwards!!! You're either stupid or a liar.
And if you think the physics I've written is wrong, feel free to correct it. Or go discuss it in a physics newsgroup and get laughed at.
--
Create instant designer stubble by sucking a magnet and dipping your chin in a bowl of iron fillings.

he's right.
you're once again showing your ignorance.
two similar sized vehicles traveling at 30 mph that collide head-on is equivalent to a collision of one hitting a brick wall at 30 mph.
it's simple math.

He is dumber than a brick wall.
--
E is for ERNEST who choked on a peach
F is for FANNY sucked dry by a leech

What you say sounds like it's probably right and I was wrong. Assuming that you are correct, my apologies for the error. But none of us is perfect, not even you, and we all make mistakes from time to time.
But not all of is as nasty as you are. Just because I got something wrong is not an excuse for your nastiness and rudeness.
And by the way, you have no idea whether I've ever taken a physics class or flunked it.

I'm only rude on this subject because about 90% of people get it wrong and it is very simple and doesn't require a physics degree to understand.
--
Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 14:59:19 -0500, nospam wrote:

Really? Which of the two comes out damaged, as it would if "hitting a brick wall", and which comes out undamaged, as it would if only the other were "hitting a brick wall" :-) ?
Cheers, -- tlvp

really.

both are damaged.

Then you need a stronger device for the explanation. To make them identical, you need a concrete bridge support which doesn't move at all.
--
Why don't Siamese cats come in pairs?

i didn't say identical. i said both are damaged.
if a small car and an 18 wheeler truck collide, both will sustain damage.
even a concrete bridge will sustain some damage if a car crashes into it. it'll be minor but it won't be zero.

You said "equivalent [to a collision]".

In that case you DO add the mph. For the car. The truck doesn't really get hurt.

It'll be as good as damnit zero. And it's a common thing to crash into. 70mph (the speed limit, like anyone goes that slow) into a bridge support is just as bad as 70mph into someone going 70mph the other way. Some people actually believe you'd have to hit the bridge at 140mph to have the same damage to your car.
--
Setting a good example for your children takes all the fun out of middle age.