thermstat problem

I am having a problem with my gas central heating system. I have a Lux

500 programmable thermostat that I installed a few years ago. When I came home this evening, my house was extremely hot. The thermostat display was flashing "OL" which I found out means that the temp is above 95 degrees. I turned the switch from heat to "off" and the heat turned off after a few minutes. I removed the cover and changed batteries. Still, when I click the switch back to heat, the heater starts up again even though the temp has dropped to 92 and the setting is on 68. Do in need to replace the thermostat with a new one, or do I have another problem?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

Sounds like the thermostat went crazy!

You CAN test a thermostat and see if it works correctly by using a meter and checking so see if the relays are clicking on and off, but by the sound of it... I'd say the thermostat is either incorrectly programmed or shot.

Tom

Steve wrote:

setting

Reply to
Sexytom976

Thanks for the advice, Tom. I left the thermostat in the off position through the night, and this morning it has worked fine so far. I plan to pick up and install a new one this evening. If it wasn't caught in time yesterday, I may have lost everything. I cannot trust this one anymore. "Once bitten, twice shy." :)

Steve

Reply to
Steve