Thermostatic Weather Head

Hi,

My heating system comes on whether its cold outside or not in the spring and fall, before it really gets cold.

Does anyone know if its possible to connect an external weather head to a home center type digital thermostat?

thanks

Reply to
pbillly

so what does it matter, it comes on where you set the thermostat

Reply to
mark Ransley

I don't know the specifics, but it can be done. The building I work in is like that. No heat unless the outside temperature gets below a certain point.

OTOH, it is cheaper and very easy just to move the switch on the thermostat to "off" until you know you want the heat on. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The problem seems to be here in the NE for the first few months in the spring or fall my wife starts to complain that she's "cold". So the heating system is activated. The heat comes on in the morning but it turns out to be a warm day. They the whole family starts to open windows. A real energy waster.

I feel no one would complain if the heat only came on days that were cloudy and cool. This doesn't really seem to happen with a indoor thermostat.

Reply to
pbillly

You mean an outdoor thermostat that is interconnected to the units? Done all the time.

Reply to
CBHvac

Yes, that's right. How does this work with a home depot thermostat?

Reply to
pbillly

In all honesty...

It depends. Most of the HD stuff is general crap. They sell ONE decent stat, the Honeywell C3, and its not even the same as we get.

Normally, the N-O line on the outdoor electronic sensor, is connected to the provided OD stat line on the unit, and barring that, it can get nuts, depending on the type of system you have, the thermostat, and what your setpoint for non operation is. The outdoor stats may, or may not solve your problem, as the more I think about it, you might have just explained your problem with the stat....if its got Hunter, Lux, or anything else made in China on it, thats prob about 50% of the issue there.

Reply to
CBHvac