Thermostat wiring question

I have a Braeburn 3200 thermostat which I would like to try as a replacement for my existing Carrier/Totaline unit. The Braeburn stat has multi-colored LED status indicators and an "L" (system status) terminal, while my old stat does not have this feature (nor does it have an "L" or "X" terminal). Can anyone tell me how to use the "L" terminal on the Braeburn stat -- or should I just leave this terminal unconnected, and possibly do without the LED status indicators? My system is a Carrier heat pump with electric aux. heat (2H/1C). Thanks for any useful info. Replace deadspam with yahoo to reply.

Reply to
Art Renkes

Hi Art, hope you are having a nice day

On 26-Mar-05 At About 06:25:46, Art Renkes wrote to All Subject: Thermostat wiring question

AR> From: Art Renkes

AR> I have a Braeburn 3200 thermostat which I would like to try as a AR> replacement for my existing Carrier/Totaline unit. The Braeburn stat AR> has multi-colored LED status indicators and an "L" (system status) AR> terminal, while my old stat does not have this feature (nor does AR> it have an "L" or "X" terminal). Can anyone tell me how to use the AR> "L" terminal on the Braeburn stat -- or should I just leave this AR> terminal unconnected, and possibly do without the LED status AR> indicators? My system is a Carrier heat pump with electric aux. heat AR> (2H/1C). Thanks for any useful info. Replace deadspam with yahoo AR> to reply.

Heat pumps can be pretty tricky to wire even for a pro. are you sure the new one is a heat pump stat?

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

The status LEDs are optional. In some installations I have wired the L terminal to W2 / E so that the customer can see when the strips are on.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

2H2C
Travis Jordan

Thank you, Travis, for the helpful info. Would I be correct to assume then that a common leg of all 3 LEDs is probably tied to the 24v return, and that the the application of 24 volts (possibly thru a current limiting resistor) to the other side of each LED will turn it "on"? [A schematic of the thermostat sure would be nice ;-)]

Replace deadspam with yahoo to reply.

Reply to
Art Renkes

Thanks for your input, HT2. Yes, the stat is intended for use with heat pumps with aux heat. (See my response to Travis, and please feel free to add your comments.)

Art Replace deadspam with yahoo to reply.

Reply to
Art Renkes

Sorry -- my response accidentally went to Travis -- but here is a repeat of it: "Thanks for your input, HT2. Yes the stat is intended for use with heat pumps with aux heat. (See my response to Travis, and feel free to add your comments.)"

Art Replace deadspam with yahoo to reply.

Reply to
Art Renkes

That's the way Honeywell annunciator LEDs are wired and I assume other thermostat manufacturers do the same thing. The current limiting resistor is already in the circuit, so no additional components are required.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Travis, Thank you very much for that additional info -- I do appreciate it. Art Replace deadspam with yahoo to reply.

Reply to
Art Renkes

Whats odd here, is that if you have an X and an L terminal, the L is normally the trouble indicator, the X is normally the same as a C. THATS the way most Honeywell stats are wired.

Looking at the 3200 wiring, you have a R, Y, Y2, W2, E, G, O, B, L, and C terminal.

Its a very basic stat. Nothing fancy about it.

The LEDs are wired so that they come on if you have a C leg wired, and the C is nothing but the systems common to transformer. If your original wiring didnt have one, you will need to get a new stat wire pulled with enough wires to have one and it simply is nothing but the opposite side of the transformer that the R line is pulled off off. The L line is your trouble indicator. If your old unit had this, then use it here. I notice that they claim B is a common on their wiring, but not on a heat pump...at least not a newer one..that would be the RV and if you have wired it when it needs to be on an O line, then its not going to work.

Reply to
steve

Thanks Steve for jumping in. I need all the info (and help) that I can get, and I THINK that the help that you and Travis have supplied may be just enough to get me by. At the moment I can't spare the time to make the switch of stats but hopefully will try it soon. Thanks again. Art Replace deadspam with yahoo to reply.

Reply to
Art Renkes