thermostat wire

I need to run some stat wire well before I'll have an hvac guy involved. What's the number of conductors and gage that's normally used? This will be a fairly typical forced air and a/c installation.

thanks, bill

Reply to
bill allemann

"fairly typical" could mean a lot of things.

Google "thermostat wire" and you'll find things like...

18 Gauge Solid Conductor Wire 2 Conductor ("millivolt" heat only systems or damper motor control) 5 Conductor (Standard HVAC systems) 7 Conductor (Typical heat-pump systems)

and...

Bulk Wire & Cable: Thermostat Wire

18/6 AWG CL2 Brown Thermostat Wire 250 Ft. Long

and...

Wired This thermostat is designed for a system with five wires -- the wire terminations are marked as follows:

RH - This wire comes from the 24VAC transformer on the heating system. RC - This wire comes from the 24VAC transformer on the air- conditioning system. W - This wire comes from the relay that turns on the heating system. Y - This wire comes from the relay that turns on the cooling system. G - This wire comes from the relay that turns on the fan.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

tell him what your up to, he might supply the wire for free, in some cases

Reply to
hallerb

It is always a good idea to have a few extra wires, so in the future, if/when you get new equipment that may possibly require more wires (2 stage etc.) you will be ready. For a basic gas heat system, the minimum is 4 between the thermostat and furnace and 2 between the furnace and outside unit. There is 7wire made for sprinkler systems that will also work for thermostat wire. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

Why not just ask the HVAC guy and then you will know for sure?

Reply to
George

It also depends on your thermostat. My White-Rogers 1F95-377

- which I love because of the programmable fan control - uses 24V rather than batteries for power, so it needs 5 wires.

Reply to
Patrick Coghlan

Ask the HVAC guy. Seriously, that's a lot more sensible than asking people who have no information as to what your equipment is.

If you totally don't want to talk to the HVAC guy, run 18-8 wire, and then you're covered for everything. Home Depot has it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reminds me of the time the HVAC guys were installing my furnace and needed to replace the T-stat wire. They were going to take a break for lunch and I volunteered to pull the wire for them since I knew where the old wire ran behind the ducts in the basement - I had pulled them a few years before and wanted the new one in the same hidden area.

Easy enough job - just cut the old wire in the basement, tape the new one to the old, go upstairs and pull the new one up with the old one. Well, it's that easy unless you tape the new wire to wrong section of wire in the basement, in which case all you do is pull the old one out. What an idiot I was! Luckily the guys had actually left for lunch because it took a long time and some sweaty work to fish the new wires up through the cramped area behind the ductwork - just as long and as sweaty as when I first pulled the wires a few years before.

The guys came back and I acted like it took me 5 minutes.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yep, you sure fooled them. Did you notice them chuckling when you turned your back? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba