Thermostat Replacement (Lux brand)

Our old thermostat decided to quit so I am trying to replace it with a "Lux" Brand from Lowe's.
What's happening it the Heat will turn on if we set it to heat and raise the temp, but the Air conditioning won't activate mo matter what. Once when I turned the switch to FAN the circuit breaker cut power.
The Central air unit is fairly old... Here is a picture
http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0119ib4.jpg
Here is a picture of the thermostat's innards and how we have it wired:
http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0120fz1.jpg
Hopefully I won't get flamed as badly as I did in the other group. The model is CAG1500 there are five wires: white, yellow, green, blue and red.
Justin wrote:

Hi, What was your old 'stat? Lux is considered junk 'stat.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Honeywell... My dad bought it.

Not sure what the blue wire is being used for, but you probably need the jumper in between the RH and RC terminals.
JK

I can't see the photo. The web page wanted to install something and then it went to an advertisement.
Take the Lux back and get a Honeywell.
[snip]

[snip]
I just accessed imageshack at the link above (using Firefox 3.0.1 with NoScript extension) There's an indication the site is wanting to use Javascript and Flash. I have not enabled either, and the photo still displays (looks like it works better with the junk blocked). It shows the wiring behind a thermostat:
G green Y yellow W white RH red RC blue B (not connected) O (no screw)
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

I fixed it. Cool air is flowing as we speak. It kicked off, and then kicked back on just like its supposed to.

Good. And the problem was?????????

It doesn't sound like you have a thermostat problem. If turning on the fan trips the breaker, you probably need to check the blower unit

If you touch the blue thermostat wire to the yellow wire, your condensing unit should come on. If you touch the blue wire to the green wire, the blower should come on. If these things don't occur, you have a problem somewhere other than the thermostat
RBM wrote:

People tell me I have problems. I'll call the contractor tomorrow morning.
RBM wrote:

Be careful with the colors. I've lived in two houses where the thermostat cable was spliced somewhere, and the colors on the wire didn't match the colors labels on the thermostat. Very frustrating.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

When I replaced my thermostat, I checked the connections (at the thermostat), and wrote those on a label I stuck on the furnace (along with the filter size, another piece of useful info).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Several ears ago I bought a Lux thermostat to replace an old round inaccurate one. I also had a subtle problem in that some thing did not turn on as expected. I don't recall if it was the A/C or not. But go back and check the directions carefully. The Lux was shipped set up for gas heat (IIRC). There is a small change you have to make to set it to work on all electric.
Hope this helps
Charlie

Justin wrote:

When you replaced the subbase, did you wire it back as the same as the first stat? If it is the same, you can use a jumper to check the system out by: RH (Power to Heat) jumpered to W (Heat) then the heat should come on. RC (Power to Cool) jumpered to G (Blower) then the inside blower should run. RC (Power to Cool) jumpered to Y (Outside Condensing unit) should come on
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:07:08 -0400, Justin wrote:

I see the problem right away...the unit has tipped over and fallen on its side.
--
Don\'t play stupid with me - I\'m better at it!

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com