thermostat replacement

I recently replace the Honeywell thermostat for my Coleman heat pump, with a Hunter digital and after I got it installed I notice that the package said in very small type that it was not suitable for heat pumps. It seems to work, so I'm wondering what the difference is. Do i need to get a different one?
Mos likely your heat pump has the cooling on by default (mfgr can't seem to come to consensus on this). If it lacks an orange wire hookup, the change over valve isn't in play and it will still do whatever function is the non energized one. On my Trane PTAC that is heat, and it works fine in the winter with a non heat pump thermostat, but it won't cool without the orange wire energized. Clear as mud?
Peachy wrote:

yes. That thermostat probably doesn't have the needed back heat stage.

is not designed for heat pumps. Need at least 6 wires, have only 5. Just going by what two different repair men told me.
Ivan Vegvary
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Hunter to Honeywell is big downgrading. Hunter is known for trouble. I am biased being ex-Honeyweller, LOL. All my thermostats are Vision Pro series(house, condo, cabin)
But my question is since the Hunter works and all the wires match, why is there a problem? The Honeywell was at lest 35 years old and probably not made for a heat pump that is 10 years old anyway. Tony Hwang wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com says...

Well, as part of a recent HVAC system upgrade, I replaced a Hunter digital thermostat with a Honeywell digital one. When I asked the installer his opinion of the two thermostats, his only comment was "Hunter should've stuck to making ceiling fans." YMMV.
Dave