Thermostat question.

I recently bought a "Ace AT10-1141SA" thermostat. It seems to work OK except that the temperature setting lever is off compared to the switch action. Meaning that in order to get the room to 70F, as it indicates, I need to set the lever to around 78F. I can hear the switch "kick" at 78F so I know that it's the thermostat. Since this the only problem I hesitate to replace it. Does anyone know of a way to recalibrate it?

How recently did you buy it? A couple of degrees is normal, but that is out of tolerance. Can you return it?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

About 2 weeks ago. It's not that important that it be accurate, only that it works. I pretty much ignore the temperature readings on them, who knows how accurate that little thermometer is anyhow, and set by comfort level. I probably could return it...but for the effort it's just not worth it - taking a $12.99 thermostat off the wall, driving 2 miles to the store, having a nice discussion with them, getting another, driving 2 miles back home, and re-installing it.
I was hoping someone would have a simple way to recalibrate it, I've looked at both the unit and installation instructions and don't see anyway.
I think I see the problem......"$12.99" Damn! Just can't get a decent product at a decent price, can we?

Steve Thrasher wrote:

If it is the one I am thinking of, it could be just a matter if it not being level. It must be level.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Unless there's a very local gravitational anomaly that's imperceptible when standing next to it...it's level. :-) The install instructions talked about that, so I used a bubble level and laid on both the top, bottom and and then vertically along the left edge. I'll admit upon reading you message I went back and rechecked though.
Steve Thrasher wrote:

You've only had it 2 weeks, why would you not just take it back? Even if they can be adjusted, which can be time consuming and tricky, I wouldn't waste time and possibly break it. If it was off even a couple degrees and it's brand new, I'd take it back.
hope this helps: couldn't find Ace persay online, I am sure on your package or thermo, they have a contact or troubleshooting email or phone.
This site generally might help you: http://www.thermostatusa.com/Tech.asp
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:33:38 -0900, Steve Thrasher

NatlHomeServices wrote:

That is a really cheap thermostat. Probably POS. Good mercury thermostats are hard to find, even the ones that wholesale at $80.00 or more. I have stopped using them as most can't be recalibrated any more. It used to be that they could be recalibrated. The digital ones are better if you get a good one. If you pay less than $50.00 wholesale, it is most likely junk. Cheap thermostats always bite me in the butt, not a good way to save money.
Stretch