Thermostat question?

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 02:19:04 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@fake.sig wrote:

mercury switch on a bimetal spring. My electronic stat runs on the 24 volt thermostat supply transformer but has a battery to back-up the memory settings in case of power failure. It will still operate with a dead battery but I believe if the power were to go out the clock would lose it's setting and the thermostat would revert to a preset fall-back setting.

If you go to a "Nest" thermostat, a new round one but electronic, it has a self charging battery using power from the 24 volt transformer on the furnace. While no larger than the old Honeywell round, it is chock full of goodies such as Wi-Fi and proximity sensors to detect when the house is occupied.
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 14:22:29 -0500, "EXT"

I have one in the house we're selling. It's a great thermostat but on the pricey side. I'll probably buy another when we sell the place (in a couple of weeks, hopefully) and change both in this house.
snipped-for-privacy@fake.sig wrote:

You're talking about nalog vs. digital 'stat. You can make the new one run on 24V AC using a power adapter. Ours is a wireless one so no wires between 'stat and system. I use Lithium batteries which last ~3 years.
If your 'stat is not on battery, when there is a prolonged power outage, programmed settings could be lost.
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 02:19:04 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@fake.sig wrote:

You have lots of answere, so here's an aside.
When I tried to buy a new furnace a couple years ago, one of the sticking points was one salesmen who insisted I get a new thermostat. I already have a heat/ac theromostat with 2 setbacks a day. I don't want to buy another.
They don't sell this one anymore. Now they are all electronic, but most of this uses mecfhanical switches. The temperature setting is by 2 mechancial slide switches with about 40 positions each, from 45 to 85. It also has 7 dip switches to choose one setback or two for each of the 7 days of the week. But the clock is electronic. It has batteries but it only needs them when the 24 volts isn't present, to keep good time, and if one doesn't use the setbacks, it doesn't need the time or the batteries to keep the temp right. Honeywell iirc. 30 years old, works fine. (I also have the round Honeywell which I plan to put back before I move, someday, and I may use it as a temp sensor for my home burglar alarm, to alert if the furnace breaks)
micky wrote:

You know new generation 'stats are much more accurate and it even has some smart brain, not like old dumb mechanical ones.
older round thermostats used no power.....
You could put a old thermostat set as low as it could go say 45 degrees in parell with a new setback thermostat.
If the new thermost failed for dead battery or other reason the old thermostat would prevent freezing..