Thermostat - Possible to Adjust

Page 1 of 2

We recently moved into a home with a natural gas fired furnace, air conditioning and a 'White Rogers' thermostat. The temperature displayed on the thermostat is off about 8 degrees Fahrenheit. I have some basic skills but not *really* handy. Is there some adjustment that is necessary to the thermostat that I would probably be able to perform?
Thanks in advance.
allanc wrote:

Manual thermostats can often be 'tweaked' by rotating the entire thermostat a slight amount (a few degrees). If electronic, Go to this site and see if you can locate a 'Owners Manual' ?
http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/common/ptech/ptech_thermo.htm
Leroy wrote:

Even better, go to this link, click on your Tstat and get operating instructions:
http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/common/ptech/thermo/thermo_14.htm
It's a mechanical type. I will take the cover off tomorrow in the daylight and try to get the model number. The unit is probably decades old. Do you think the manual would actually have troubleshooting tips such as when the temperature is off by 8 degrees?

Mechanical thermostat? Don't bother fixing it. Get a programmable electronic one & save big money.

Someone once told me that in his opinion, there was a point of negative return. For example, in the winter, if you turn down the temperature *too* low at night, the cost of warming the house to the daytime temperature would exceed the savings that you obtained at night.
Comments?
allanc wrote:

Hi, That is not so. All the testing done shows 5 to 15% energy savings. Many digital 'stats have some intelligence. It does not work in linear mode.

.
It is the opinion of one of my brother-in-laws.
If we take an 'extreme' example of comparing during a cold winter: 1. allowing house to cool from 70 (F) to 68 (F) overnight (11 pm to 7 am) and then returning to 70 (F) during the day. versus 2. allowing house to cool from 70 (F) to 50 (F) overnight (11 pm to 7 am) and then returning to 70 (F) during the day.
Will the actual cost of energy be less with #2? Wear and tear on the furnace,etc would be a separate issue.
yes,
Will the actual cost of energy be less with #2? Wear and tear on the furnace,etc would be a separate issue.
Most electronic ones keep the house temperature much more stable than an old mechanical one so even if you don't want to program it it is worth switching.
Follow the instructions when changing it out. Specifically mark the wires with labels indicating what they were attached to on the old thermostat so you can hook them up to the new one.

Someone once told me that in his opinion, there was a point of negative return. For example, in the winter, if you turn down the temperature *too* low at night, the cost of warming the house to the daytime temperature would exceed the savings that you obtained at night.
Comments?
Art wrote:

Hi, Just to be sure turn the power off to the furnace when working on 'ststs.
Yes, I remember my parents house was oil heated and had a round thermostat. I think that it allowed a 2-3 variance. But, that may have been part of the design of the thermostat.

An old mercury thermostat had to be set to allow a little temperature drift to prevent short cycling. An electronic thermostat can be programmed with a timer as well to prevent short cycling, so it can keep tighter temperature control (that is, if it is in "cool" mode, and the temperature rises quickly after the A/C shuts off, a mercury stat will wait until the temp. rises 3 degrees or so to kick back on. The electronic will kick on as soon as the temp rises past its threshold - probably less than a degree - but will not actually turn the A/C on if not enough time has elapsed since the A/C shut off. It'll wait 2-3 minutes to let the compressor unload and then let it start.
nate
allanc wrote:

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

WRONG!
Its always better to turn heat down, sincve the builkdings lower temp loses heat slower.
before i was married the home lived most of its time at 50 degrees to save gas since i was rarely home.

..
Just curious.... How long did it take to heat from 50 to something comfortable?

m...
about 20 minutes, till it was comfy. a little longer till 70 degrees.
saved a lot of gas and $$$
allanc wrote:

Hi, If I were you, I'd replace that old 'stat with programmabl digital one and for get about it once programmed to your needs. Honeywell Vision Pro series is very good 'stats.
allanc wrote:

If no LCD readout and buttons, it's mechanical. When you remove the cover, check how the base is screwed to the wall. Likely a screw at the top and a screw at the bottom and the screw at the bottom may go thru an 'oblong' hole rather than round. If so, loosen the top and bottom screws slightly and rotate the base slightly in one direction. If that improves the accuracy, good. If it makes it worse, rotate the base in the opposite direction. Does that improve accuracy?
What this is all about is that mech Tstats are supposed to be installed perfectly level and if not, accuracy can be off for some mechanical Tstats.

The model # is 1E56W309 and I could not find a manual at White-Rogers site or anywhere else. On the inside of the cover their is a plastic screw that seems to be attached to the thermometer. Is that for adjusting?
allanc wrote:

The manual is listed here: <http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/pdfs/instruction_sheets/0037-5327.pdf
MikeB