Thermostat Install

Just completed a kitchen reno and want to update the old dial type thermostat. I purchased a digital (non-programmable) thermo from local hardware store.

Honeywell rlv310a

Same one here:

The old one was controlling two baseboard heaters in the kitchen and working fine. I removed the old thermo and 4 wires...2 red and 2 black. The thermo was connected to one red and one black and the other two were morreted together.

The new digital thermo has 2 wires as well, so I just swapped out with the same wiring config and morreted together. I thought all was fine until I realized the heat just stays on. The manual's troubleshooting section just says its wired incorrectly.

Can anyone offer any guidance?

Joe

Reply to
joeymartin

Sorry...should clarify a bit...

The old thermo has 2 wires. from the wall there was 4 wires...2 red and 2 black. The old thermo was connected to one red, and one black...the other red and black were morreted together.

Joe

Reply to
joeymartin

Read Directions that came with new thermostat-- its real easy

Reply to
bigjim

Wow...never thought of that...you were so helpful!

The manual...which is really a sheet doesn't offer much help in my situation...hence the reason why I posted here.

Amazes me that people take the time to post useless posts like yours. Anyone else care to chime in..?

Joe

Reply to
joeymartin

Go to:

And ask them.

It did say that it is a 2 wire stat. When you disconnect the two wires does the heat stop?

Reply to
Moe Jones

Joe,

As another poster said, disconnect the 'stat and see if the heat stops.

But before that you should check something important. Sometimes with baseboard heaters, they run 120 or 240V directly to the thermostat instead of using a 24V control circuit.

You should get your hands on a multimeter and check this because if it's a high voltage circuit a) you can get electrocuted and b) a special thermostat will be needed.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

baseboard heaters, they run 120 or 240V directly to the

high voltage circuit a) you can get electrocuted

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

That what I'll try...I shut the main breaker off for the house before I attempt anything. thanks for the advice.

Joe

Reply to
joeymartin

So I have to ask, if the new one has no added features, why are you replacing it?

Save your money for your kids' college, your medical expenses not covered by insurance, and so you don't have to depend on your children for money after you retire. Or just give it to charity.

Reply to
mm