Thermostat: Honeywell vs Braeburn

I had requested a Honeywell (or American Standard branded equivalent) Two stage / 7 day programmable thermostat for my 2 stage furnace. Instead the professional HVAC company installed a "Braeburn" two stage / 7 day (model 5100). I've never heard of Braeburn and indeed the trademark office says it has only been used in commerce since 2002, strangely registered to an individual not a company.
Besides being a pain to program, are there any disadvantages to having this thermostat instead of the Honeywell? I'm a bit disappointed but really can't hold their feet to the fire since the contract didn't explicitly say "Honeywell." I really liked my Honeywell 3500, but that is only 1 stage 'stat. Thanks!
Lynn O'Day wrote:

PS. This was for a new furnace installation, so the thermostat was a pretty small piece of the job.
Replacing it with a programmable thermostat of your choice is easy and not that expensive. What would really concern me is what else wasn't done according to the contract?

Jane wrote:

To clarify, I requested Honeywell verbally although the written contract does just say programmable 7 day 2 stage (no brand mentioned), so I'm afraid I can't hold them to the fire for that. Now I am just wondering if the Braeburn is a decent 'stat or if it's cheap rip off. One little thing I like about the Honeywell (besides the easy to use buttons and programming) is the indication that the 'stat is calling for heat.
Never heard of it(Braeburn). Does it come with a warranty?

HeatMan wrote:

Braeburn is a fairly new company. It remains to be seen how their products fair against the likes of Honeywell.
http://www.braeburnonline.com/history.html
Braeburn Systems LLC is the fastest growing wholesale thermostat manufacturer in the United States. Founded in 2001, Braeburn Systems manufactures digital electronic thermostats and controls for installation by professional contractors. Braeburn controls are manufactured in our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in China which is ISO 9001 and QS 9000 rated for the highest assurance of quality. Our modern distribution center is located at the UPS Supply Chain Solutions Logistics Center in Louisville, Kentucky and serves all of our customers worldwide. Braeburn System's corporate office is located in Montgomery, Illinois.
Braeburn products are available to professional contractors through our network of HVACR and Plumbing distributors throughout North America. For more information on Braeburn products, the name of a local sales representative or a distributor in your area you can contact our sales department at 1-866-268-5599.
The contract said Honeywell.

If you specificaly stated Honeywell, then demand Honeywell . I will guess Baybum is new China crap. My nice Lux does not compare to Honywell. alot of cheap junk out there.
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:12:09 -0500, someone wrote:

2-stage prgrammable stat. He made an oral request to modify a written contract. He seems to recognize the problem with that.
Unless they explicitly agreed to the upgrade, there is nothing to enforce, and if they did how do you prove it since the written record says otherwise.
Formally, this should have been done in writing: "How much extra for a Honeywell Model _____ ". At this point its "oh well". I don't see at all that he "deserves" a replacement stat for free, maybe he can work out a deal if he asks nice, but why bother. How often does he program it? Use this one, and if he doesn't get used to it change it next year.
I don't see it being a big deal.
-v.
V , I get allot of work contracted, If I ask for something an get an acknowledgement, I get it or I do not pay. The lady asked, they did not say NO. She should get what she wants, it is her house.

As I remember it, the _first_ post in this thread didn't say anything about the contracted tstat. This showed up in a later post...
Lynn O'Day wrote:

http://www.honeywellcannon.com/Designs/HON%20T-Stat%20Performance%20White%20Paper.pdf
Executive summary ============There is a common misperception that all electronic thermostats offer the same level of comfort. To dispel this misperception, Honeywell1 conducted what is believed to be the industry's most comprehensive comparison testing ever on the performance of residential electronic thermostats. Twelve thermostat models (with three thermostats from each model) were tested from Honeywell, Totaline, White-Rodgers, Lux, Invensys and Braeburn.
The testing, conducted in accordance with National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) standards, revealed major differences in electronic thermostat performance and the ability to provide consistent, reliable comfort. The testing looked at temperature swing and droop.
Honeywell thermostats allowed the least amount of temperature swing and temperature droop of any manufacturer tested. Honeywell permitted, at the most, a 0.5 degree F temperature swing. The competition allowed, at the most, a temperature swing of 1.9 degrees F (White-Rodgers), 3.2 degrees F (Totaline), 4.1 degrees F (Lux), 4.4 degrees F (Invensys), and 6.7 degrees F (Braeburn).
Honeywell permitted, at the most, a temperature droop of 0.2 degrees F. The competition allowed, at the most, a temperature droop of 0.4 degrees F (White-Rodgers), 0.5 degrees F (Lux), 1.2 degrees F (Invensys), 1.4 degrees F (Braeburn), and 1.6 degrees F (Totaline).

You already find it a pain to program. Strike Two. You asked for a Honeywell unit, and you're familiar with Honeywell units. Strike Three
IMHO, you should ask politely that the unit be changed out for a Honeywell (there are lots of models, so I'd recommend being pretty specific so you don't get some low-end model). If they balk (a decent operation shouldn't, but you never know) offer to change the unit out yourself, or maybe sweeten the pot to help offset the labor (after all, the hardware cost ain't the issue, but the additional truck roll costs 'em money).