Thermostat

Page 2 of 2

I think you can also fiddle with them to get a different setting, like mount it off angle.
I have used the programmables, and its great when needed. Right now, my smaller house heats up much faster than the old. For the most part having the automatic function is not necessary, and I just set it when I come or go.
greg
GregS wrote:

Fail safe? It's built inside the furnace. Thermostat does not need that.
ransley wrote:

They are analog and can't match the precision of digital based on ASIC and microprocessor.

Precision, accuracy yes, but on comfort im comfortable, I adjusted the anticipator. He did ask for reliable-cheap, there is good reason Honywell still makes and sells them. When lightning hit us the digital was fried and the round honywell survived, and battery replacing can be put off unitl it dies as I just did. My Lux I wouldnt trust as its failed to shut off once, a remote Honeywell would be real nice. I wonder if they have one you could call on the phone for remote changing of temp. What happens on a battery digital unit if the battery fails while its calling for heat, that worries me.
ransley wrote:

When baterries getting low it gives more than a month's warning. Default setting is imbedded in the non-volatile memory.

Nothing to be worried about if the battery fails while the furnace is running. Without power the thermostat is off. If you pulled the battery while the thermostat was closed and calling for heat, the circuit goes open and the furnace will shut off.
The other problem, which is loss of battery when freezing could occur is a problem. But many of the digital thermostats have a backup mechanical switch that will close at around 40 deg.
With millions of these in use for decades now, they apparently are reliable and safe or you'd hear about it.

Since i own a bit of Honeywell stock I think that's what you should buy. Of course, they already have a fine reputation for dependability if that's important to you, <G>
Joe