Thermostat

Page 1 of 2
Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Thanx.

Honeywell programmable for about $45 to $65.
I'd also buy a White Rogers and I'd avoid Lux or other cheap brands.
: I'd avoid Lux or other cheap brands.
Interesting to hear this sentiment expressed quite often in this thread as Consumer Reports had two Lux models as Best Buys.

Thank you for affirming my reasons to no longer buy CR.
Frankly, if it works and cost less, it would be a best buy. Too many people have had too many problems with Lux over the years to take a chance, IMO.

I'm a big fan of White Rogers. IMO they're very durable,less complicated then Honeywell, and considerably cheaper. Honeywell is my second choice, then Robertshaw
Ours is made by Carrier.
It is a automatic one which we bought 3 years ago.
We are very pleased with it.
shirleyann
Shirley ann wrote:

Probably made by Honeywell or White Rogers and rebadged.

Check Consumer Reports. I have a programmable Honeywell. I prefer the type that can be set different for each day of the week.
Newbie wrote:

Honeywell Vision Pro series.

Yes, I second that. One feature I like is they have adaptive recovery. When you have the temp lowered overnight, and you want it to be 70 again at say 7AM, you just set it for that. Over a few days, the thermostat learns at what earlier time it needs to actually raise the temp so it reaches 70 at 7AM. It also has vacation hold, which will keep a hold on a temp for X number of days. Also has many other programable options, compatibility with many type systems, etc.
Newbie wrote:

units that have failed this season. The failure mechanism is a design error/cost reduction choice, so I'd expect that they all will fail in time.
I'm following this thread closely since I now need three new (reliable) thermostats.
Boden

I have used Hunter, White-Rodgers, and LUX. They all worked without problem, but the old Hunter (I think thats the name) was a chore to program, but did give most options like recording on time and filter change. The White-Rodgers does give many options, and does not give a broad range of temperature differentials. I don't know if its smart like some of the Honneywells with Fuzzy logic. My main problem, none of the ones I have had has a light that STAYS ON. What a pain.
greg
(GregS) wrote:

NOT give many

(GregS) wrote:

One feature the old Hunter had was it ran off the furnace power and had battery BACKUP. But, I found I still had to change the battery often, so that feature is not required. I find the White_Rodgers runs a LONG time with the batteries driving a relay output. Amazing. Units that don't have a relay are more likely to get zapped by power line and furnace voltage noise.
greg
GregS wrote:

Not really, unless hit by a direct lightning strike or such protection is built into the circuitry. I use Vision Pro 8000 series every where and a wireless one as well. Batteries last ~2 years and it comes in several models to take care of diffrent system. Like 1 heat/1 cool or multi stage heat/cool systems. Better pick a proper model for the system you have. Lux and Hunter is garbage. Just open up and look at the build quality. Most relays now is S.S. type. Having a display stay on is an option too. Then batteries won't last long.

I am pretty sure my White-Rodgers has a relay as I can hear it plainly, and it lasts well over a year with summer cooling. A relay provides isolation and a ground loop withing a system. A SS can also be used isolated if its wired like that and does not run the thermostat on the AC 24 volt line.
They took my LUX off when I had a new system installed and they used the White-Rodgers. I was going to reinstall the LUX but I never did. I never learned to program it, but the .5 degree differential is the standard setting, but you can set it to 1 degree. Some go up to 2-3 degrees. The more the furnace turns off and on, the less efficient it becomes to a certain extent. They tried to make off with my LUX, but I got it back!
I seem to now recall the old Hunter did have a fail safe. Some kind of extra mechanical fuse or thermostat to prevent the house trying to go up over 100 degrees. The furnace has an internal temperature shutoff on the heat exchanger, but I don't know, the newer types may also have another sensor on the air flow temperature. I think my furnace may have an air flow meter to help control fan speed. A fail safe cannot be part of the circuitry controlling the temperature. It goes in series with it to become a totally different fuse or system.
I guess I have a certain affiliation with Honeywell, as I used to work for a Bendix outfit that eventually got hooked up with Honneywell.
I work with a number of non time programmable conrollers. They are just programmable for real time and don't care anything about time, except for time to heat to temperature. This is the PIR functions to control heat and overshoot. They often have a AUTO mode where the PIR functions are automatically entered by the processor after initial parameters are inserted. Some controllers also have fuzzy logic to become smart, and can modify settings to improve performance.
Having a thermostat heat to BE a temperature at a certain time can have benifits, but you have to really be aware how the thermostat works so you can compensate for the way your mind has been working in using thermostats that don't have this feature. The old house used to take up to an hour to heat to temperature, I understood this. A smart thermostat can figure that out by itself once it gets going, and remember.
greg
Boden wrote:

Spend some money and get Vision Pro 8000 touch screen model. In some cases it may be over kill but simple and easy arm chair programming and it will handle any system(gas, electric, heat pump, multi stage). My house, cabin, condo and friends, relatives use them per my recommendation. So far none failed. Every one is happy with it. Just pick the right model(there are 3) for your needs. As a Honeywell retiree I may be biased, LOL.

Most reliable, best value, the old round Honywell, but not If you need set backs and all the features.

I must have about 6 I took out. The main thing I see is they have a wide temperature control span. I don't see any of the electronic types have a fail safe in case they fail to turn off the furnace.
grge
On Nov 14, 9:41am, snipped-for-privacy@zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:

I use one of those on my garage heater because it is the only thermostat that can be set to 40F on the market (thats affordable).
True, nothing is more reliable, but for inside the house I really am liking the setback features of a digital.