Thermostat

Would it be worth it to buy a $100 Honeywell thermostat for my house? I've got a cheap one.

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

I'm pretty unschooled about this kind of thing. Maybe I was convinced by a salesman ... that it would save me money in the dessert: cold winters and hot summers and that the stat wouldn't be going on and off as much ... I really can't imagine how it could help and what advantage a complicate one might have. It was the ability to program it cool the house before I get home while leaving it a little warmer while nobody was there.

happy with the one you have now. There are other

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

are not happy with the one you have now. There are other

Power company I am connected (Salt River Project) to basically says that if you can raise the temp more than 5 degrees F you can save UP TO 10%. I did paraphrase a tad. If your gone for a few days a lot it would help.

I have had set back t-stats for years. They seem to help. Check into X-10 they have a dial up modem that when connected to the t-stat (other parts necessary) you can turn on the a/c from your phone. Or 3 other loads of your choosing. My dogs really figured that one out. They would be wound up like cheap watches when I got home. They figured out when the temp when down I was coming home. And they call them dumb.....

Insulation is usually the best bet for saving money. I just had R-30 blown into my home. Run times and off times are different by 20 %. If you have an electric water heater a time clock is a real saver.

How long are you staying where you are will help answer the question.

Reply to
SQLit

Hard to answer a rhetorical question but, it might be worth it if you are not happy with the one you have now. There are other companies that may be a little less expensive like White - Rogers and Robertshaw

Reply to
RBM

How the f*ck would we know? Define "worth it".

Reply to
Dan C

If you have a set pattern for when people are in and out of the house, a seven day programmable thermostat could save you money, although if you are diligent about raising and lowering your manual thermostat as you come and go, that'll work too. As I said, other companies make this type of thermostat and tend to be less expensive than Honeywell

Reply to
RBM

No plans on moving. Would Home Depot have water heater timers. That sounds interesting too.

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

Who is 'we'. You idiot.

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

I got one from Home Depot for about $50-60. Brand name was Lux, model "Smart Temp 9000". Consumer Reports rated it as a really good one.

It is not a well known brand (at least I hadn't heard of it). But it has been in my house for over 5 years and has really worked well.

Reply to
stevie

Depends...if you are getting one from Home Depot..no..LOL Im in the biz, and have a $200 thermostat on my home..I like it, but that does not mean you will.

Reply to
Carolina Breeze HVAC

Lux, rhymes with SUX and trust me....we replace a hundred of those POS stats a year. Look to Robertshaw, Honeywell, or White Rodgers, but for damn sure dont throw good after bad wtih a Lux, or a Hunter stat. Wait till you get one, that simply says.....I dont know what freaking temp it is, and I dont care.LOL....

Reply to
Carolina Breeze HVAC

It probably won't save you any money, or at least, it will take a long while to pay off the $100 Honeywell.

If your current thermostat is the old round, spring kind that lets the temperature fluctuate several degrees, then get a modern digital one. It will make your house much more comfortable; mine made a huge difference in comfort when I installed it. I've had mine for several years but it cost only $34; I think current models sell as low as $45.

You don't really need to spend $100. The kind that anticipate the change in temp probably won't do much for you. Mine has three times during weekdays, and two times during weekends. Two times for all days would be just fine.

Get a Honeywell.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

They did...think it was value for money or something like that... They obviously ddint have it more than a month....

Reply to
Carolina Breeze HVAC

The people in the newsgroup, that you are asking the question to, dumbass.

Reply to
Dan C

Yes but Lowes has one that is substantially cheaper. CHECK the wiring before you buy one. Some time clocks are 220 v timer motors and some like the ones at Lowes are 120 v timer motors. You would need a 4 wire circuit for the 120 v timer motor, only available in newer homes.

My last house I had the water heater on for 2 hours a day. When I washed or had company I would just manually override the timer.

Choosing a set back stat has a lot to do with what you expect from it.

I had one like the 260 old house

Currently I have

One like the touch screen on the upper right.

Make sure that you know exactly what your a/c, heat system is before buying. There are stats make that do not fit every situation.

Reply to
SQLit

"stevie" wrote

No offence, but: You have GOT to be sh*tting me! LUX??!!! In what catagory? Models most likely to crap out within a month?

It's not that I don't believe you. It's just that I can't believe anyone would rate them high for anything.

YMMV.......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Gee, how nice of you to speak for everyone. You might restrict yourself to speaking out of your singular dumb ass.

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

to pay off the $100 Honeywell.

temperature fluctuate several degrees, then get a modern

difference in comfort when I installed it. I've had

temp probably won't do much for you. Mine has three

would be just fine.

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt