Thermometers

Page 1 of 3
On these unusually cold mornings I would like an accuate temerture reading outside. Weather Underground web site says 32. My new Accurite wireless digital indoor/outdoor says 30. My alcohol regular outside says 26. What's the solution? I'm tempted to rely on the $10 Accurite but probably because it's the newest and most expensive.
What do you use?
TIA
On 1/1/2015 9:33 AM, KenK wrote:

be accurate. The unit in my vehicle reads two degrees high, if the radio says 32, my truck will read 34. Of course, you might want to get a non contact IR thermometer, point it at some thing in the shade, and see how that reads.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, January 1, 2015 9:33:18 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

I have a La Crosse wireless. It closely tracks the reported weather service temps. I have a couple Accurite non-wireless, cheap units. Can't say I've paid a lot of attention to how accurate they are, but for temp, I haven't noticed anything unusual, readings seem right. For humidity, they are not even close. I've had 3 of them side by side, they are differ by 25 between them. You can calibrate them using a closed container with damp salt.
I guess if you want to test the accuracy of your temp unit, you could probably devise a test. I would think if you took a picnic cooler, filled it 3/4 full with a mix of ice and water, put the thermometer on top of something floating in there, closed it up, left it alone for an hour, it should be 32F.

the solution is to throw away two of the thermometers.
On 1/1/2015 7:15 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

A man with one watch always knows what time it is. The man with two watches is never quite sure.
On 01/01/2015 8:33 AM, KenK wrote:

A Davis Vantage and the 60(+?) indoor/outdoor dial both are generally with a couple degrees at most and the conventional is mounted on the north porch where it may have some influence from the house...both are also generally within a degree or so of the local airport readings altho it's easily possible for there to be a few degrees real in the indicated owing to local cloud cover, wind variations, elevation, installation, etc., etc., etc., ...
The other point on using one is valid... :)
KenK wrote:

I have Davis weather station on a mast in the front yard. It gives all weather parameters wirelessly on the console inside. Quite pricy but very good stuff, worth the money.
On 1/1/2015 9:33 AM, KenK wrote:

Stop buying your thermometers at McChinamart if you are concerned about accuracy.
http://smile.amazon.com/Fluke-Digital-Thermometer-Battery-Rejection/dp/B000VRCSX4
On Thursday, January 1, 2015 10:49:39 AM UTC-5, Jack Nerdman wrote:

I have a fluke dual channel recording temp thermometer. The 2 channels never matched from when it was brand new. Yet it works fine. I use it for work.
But truly what difference do a couple degrees matter? Temp vareies for so many reasons OP has too much time on his hands
On 1/1/2015 9:33 AM, KenK wrote:

I have an outside wireless and see similar "discrepancies" The difference is location. One is mounted in the shade about 8' of the ground and 10' from the house. It is generally 1 to 2 degrees higher than the one in my car closer to the ground. I also have two weather apps on my phone and they differ a couple of degrees from each other and from my readings. They evidently us different sources too, when the town is looked up. There the local radio station . .
I watch my car thermometer on the 24 mile commute to work. Some days there is little to no variation, other days it can swing five degrees along the way depending on wind, altitude, sun load, snow cover and more.
Is the Accurite next to the alcohol? If so, that is a big difference and I'd probably trust the Accurite.

LOL!!.....
Good one, PR. ;)
nb

I've been pricing home weather stations for yrs. Davis always looked like the clear winner until I found a home weather station forum and ppl with Davis stations were not so happy. It boiled down to, if yer gonna get a station that's gonna fail, why spend so much money.
So, apparently, Davis station are not the bullet proof heavy duty units you are led to believe by the price tag.
nb
notbob wrote:

Davis has range of product you can choose from. Mine is just wireless and only thing it needed was new battery. No problem what so ever. Professional grade ones are much more expensive. It can feed real time readings to NOAA grid via Internet too. May be those who are not happy were who don't know what they are doing. I always see this on other products. They buy beyond their ability to use it properly and complain, go out buy another newer one and complain again. At least I know what I am doing with every thing I own and use. Davis have all the replacement parts for repair if problem occurs.

An average of my two outdoor thermometers.

Yes

That's what I decided too. Or just go with one temperature source as others suggested. <s> There's an old joke about that but for the life of me I can't think of the subject.
On 1/1/2015 12:44 PM, KenK wrote:

A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.

LOL

While I always recommend Fluke products, I jes looked at the last 3 Fluke meters I purchased. One is from China, one from Taiwan, and the 3rd doesn't say.
China's crappy manufactured products are only as good as the parent company, which is typically US based. Remember when "Made in Japan" was a sure sign of junk? Well, as Japan got their act together, many of Japan's mfr'd products became the gold std. Same will happen to China. Their products will continue to improve, but only as good as the parent company. I trust Chinese made Flukes are good meters. They've proved to be, so far.
nb
notbob wrote:

Problem is not made in China. On what specs they are made there? Most every thing is made in China, like Apple product. Even my high end AV receiver is made there but QC is strict and nothing wrong with it. Just like old saying "you get what you pay for"
On Thursday, January 1, 2015 1:27:51 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:

Not just Japan. Add made in Taiwan and Korea to the list. All started making cheap stuff of dubious quality, but evolved to be world class manufacturers that kicked our asses in many markets. The younger folks today don't remember the days when, as you say, made in Japan, was a reference that meant cheap, inferior stuff. Not any more.