Thermometer repair?

Page 1 of 2
I've gotten good advice here in the past. Maybe someone can help me with this problem
I have a rather expensive oven mercury thermometer. When using it in a combination MW/convection oven with a rotating surface to test the oven temperature, evidently the vibration caused the mercury to be widely scattered thoughout the glass column. I read a site info on this problem but none of their suggestions helped. Tapping it into my hand to move the mecury, heating it, etc.
The only other idea I have is to somehow fasten it to an electric drill and spin it so the centrifugal force forces the mercury to the bulb but can't figure out how to securely mount it.
Any better ideas?
TIA

Vibration? What vibration? If the microwave was active, I would think THAT would screw things up big time. Mercury is a metal you know....
I read a site info on this problem

No, but the drill idea sounds like a very bad one. Unless you want broken glass and mercury contamination all over the place

From the round rotating surface inside the MW oven.

It isn't when the convection oven is in use.

That's why I said 'securely'.

Does your oven vibrate like a paint mixer? I've never seen any vibration on a rotating base inside a microwave that had any significant vibration. They turn at like 3 RPM. I don't see how that could account for mercury seperation in a thermometer.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought these ovens allowed you to use both at the same time. Some I though just used MW for heating combined with a fan for convection, Others I thought added other conventional heating elements together with the convection.

The turntable rides on little plastic wheels. It runs on a surface. It has a motor. Evidently one or more of these is a little bit rough and causes a slight vibration. Normally not noticable, but it possibly affected the thermometer if it is very sensitive to such movement.

Mine has three modes - mw, oven and both. I am discussing the oven-only mode which uses a heating element.

Get someone who's over 40 years of age to show you how to shake down a fever thermometer, or find a video online somewhere. Here's one: http://www.ehow.com/video_4984299_use-mercury-thermometer.html You will probably have to do this repeatedly, shaking first toward one end, then the other, but eventually you'll get all of those different blobs of mercury back together.
On 04/20/2013 11:37 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

^^ What he said; shake it down. Another trick you can use is to heat it up (within it's limit) so that the Hg rises up in the column, reforming the lost globules, then (slowly) allow it to cool back into the bulb.
Jon
On 4/20/2013 2:18 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

I once owned a beautiful mercury lab thermometer that was some 18" long. I opened my desk drawer one day and slipped the long thermometer out of its cardboard tube only to find the bulb broken. There was some soot on the remnants of the bulb that looked as though someone had held a lit match to it. No one in the shop would admit to touching it since they didn't wish to acquire any fatal injuries. o_O
TDD
On 4/20/2013 11:06 AM, KenK wrote:

If you heat it gently, you should be able to make the blobs run together. If that happens before the end of the glass, you're good to go. But the difference between FIXED and BUSTED GLASS can be very small...depending on how far the last blob is from the top. Did I mention GENTLY.

I can't imagine that an electric drill is a good idea.
What Doug said.
You can put the thermometer in a sock and swing it around to increase the force.
Or instead of tapping on your hand, you could tap it on the desk. It's been decades since I had a thermometer with separated mercury, but I think that' what I did, and I was able to do it without breaking the therm. Of course my desk might be softer than your desk, or my arm weaker.

On 04/20/2013 02:06 PM, KenK wrote:

Any good home repair job involves duct tape so duct tape it to the wheel cover on your car then go for a spin on the express way.
Ken,
All of the centrifugal force techniques are good to try. If they don't work put the thermometer in the freezer to cool. Keep it upright (mostly). Now make a cold bath with rubbing alcohol and dry ice. Put the thermometer bulb half way into the bath. The mercury should shrink down into the bulb. If any mercury is left in the column use the centrifugal method again. Wear gloves. After the mercury is in the bulb remove the thermometer from the bath and hold it upright until it warms up.
Dave M.
I've heard of super cooling, so all the mercury ends up in the bubble at the low temp end. Not sure I've tried this, but sounds good. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I've gotten good advice here in the past. Maybe someone can help me with this problem
I have a rather expensive oven mercury thermometer. When using it in a combination MW/convection oven with a rotating surface to test the oven temperature, evidently the vibration caused the mercury to be widely scattered thoughout the glass column. I read a site info on this problem but none of their suggestions helped. Tapping it into my hand to move the mecury, heating it, etc.
The only other idea I have is to somehow fasten it to an electric drill and spin it so the centrifugal force forces the mercury to the bulb but can't figure out how to securely mount it.
Any better ideas?
TIA

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 17:35:33 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

the microwaves and super-heats. Or did you have your "combination" oven in non-microwave mode???
Where, in this post, does anyone suggest that? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

NEVER put a mercury thermometer in a microwave. The mercury attracts the microwaves and super-heats. Or did you have your "combination" oven in non-microwave mode???
On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 20:27:25 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

When using it in a combination MW/convection oven with a rotating surface - in MOST the rotating table only works in MW mode. - al teast the ones I've seen.
Or are you asking where anyone suggests it was in non-microwave mode? Because nowhere does it suggest that he did THAT either.

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 21:13:40 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My GE OTR rotates in Microwave, Fast Bake, or just Bake mode. There is a rack you can put in if you want to use a pan to beg to rotate.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote:

I would agree. I'm never going to use mercury, and I don't think I have one. I do remember lab oven/incubators with mercury thermometer sticking out the top. I used to compare readings with various thermometers, but once I verified, I put the mercury away.
I forgot my combo had a combo button. The heating element will preheat the oven, and then cycle between microwave and heat, but never both at the same time. My platter rotates in either mode. The tray is usually inserted over the platter, and platter not really used, but I would have to reread instructions for turbo oven mode and microwave.
I never turbo cooked anything in that oven, because it's slow compared to my little turbo oven which includes radiant heat.
I use a grilling meat thermometer I bought at kmart for $12 on sale. Digital with probe and stainless cable. I just have to subtract about 10 degree error.
Greg