Thermocoupler won't stay lit

I live in the mountains of NM. We have gotten about 4-5 inches of rain in the past 3 days. Yesterday my gas water heater stopped staying lit. I relit it last night and it was out again this morning.

Can an extreme humidity make the thermocoupler keep going out?

Reply to
CJ

I'm assuming you mean the pilot. The only times I've had that problem was windy days with insufficient baffling in the chimney pipe, and when I had a bad thermocouple, but that usually prevents lighting it at all.

CJ wrote:

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Checked burner flame, was burning very yellow and there was a black mass on the side of the burner. Started cleaning the burner with my shop vac and discovered an unburnt mouse nose on the floor of the water heater. I am wonder if a mouse fell through the exhaust vent onto the burner trying to get out of the rain, and burned to a crisp.

Since I cleaned it, it is burning blue and staying lit. So far so good.

Reply to
CJ

There has to be a joke in there somewhere....

Reply to
professorpaul

not for the roastee. pore lil sucker prolly just stretched out on the nice warm burner while the flame was off. awoke to a burning sensation.

lee

Reply to
lee houston

Actually, I've never lit a thermocoupler. Must be a new model of water heater. Usually I have to heat the thermocouple, and that allows the gas valve to open, so the pilot lights.

Try dissembly and cleaning. Or replace thermocouple.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon