Thermally efficient windows

Currently we have stanley singly pane windows with aluminum frames, has to be one of the worst windows ever made as far as efficient heat/cool control.
I am a reasonably ept woodworker and have the equipment to produce practically anything in the woodworking field . In short I am thinking of making my own window replacements .
So what i am looking for is the ins and outs of making windows that incorporate the latest energy technology. Any sources of this info or tips from readers in this group would be appreciated ......mjh

The frames will be a snap compared with getting the glass you need in the right sizes.

Why would that be? Obtaining thermopane (even low-E I suspect) in custom sizes is easy.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

I'd start out by making a trip to the local home center, taking a notepad, of course. Some of the brochures will even give you some of the construction details, although, no dimensions.
Making a basic frame is probably not a big deal, but I see some windows have extruded materials used for gaskets between the sashes. There are replacement side panels intended for repairs of older windows that may be suitable for your replacements.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/