Thermal cube receptical

I saw this yesterday when searching for something else. Sounds handy for preventing freezeups by turning on a heating device when the temperature inside reaches 35 degrees. Could be handy if you go away during the winter.
http://tinyurl.com/zlelqkd
Never knew they existed.
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 7:07:49 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have a similar device, different company, don't remember the name, but it was discussed here a couple weeks ago. Got it at HD. Reading the reviews for mine online, a lot of people say they suck. They can work for a couple months, then don't turn on when it gets below freezing. I'm still using mine, but don't really trust it. Not sure what similar thing is reliable. Guess I could check up the reviews on this one.
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 8:13:15 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

You could make your own, which might be more reliable than the Termocube and a lot more controllable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I-iwFLykxs

The STC-1000 controller at Amazon, $17:
http://tinyurl.com/STC1000-Controller
(Amazon.com product link shortened)49023465&sr=8-2&keywords=stc+1000+110v
On 12/1/2015 5:13 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I picked up one like that at the thrift store. Did some tests in the freezer and it seems to work as advertised. 10 degrees hysteresis is a lot. I'm using it where a pipe comes out of the garage floor, so the temperature doesn't vary all that much. Installed it yesterday and it clicked on. With 45 degree off temp, I don't expect it to ever turn off again till spring, even tho only a small percentage of the time will be below freezing. In my case, the sensor needs to be on the pipe and adjustable
I did a lot of experimenting with electric heater thermostats. You can make 'em go that low, but they're very sensitive to the mechanical variations. Banging on the case causes significant change in the trip point. Don't trust it.
There's a cheap digital temperature controller: http://www.buyincoins.com/item/45040.html Remote sensor and you can set the temperatures either way for heat or cool with desired hysteresis. The settings are non-volatile, so it survives a power outage.
I mounted it with a duplex socket into a wall-box. PITA I plan to stick the probe under the insulation with the heat tape.
They also have a packaged version: http://www.buyincoins.com/item/15054.html
In hindsight, I should have bought that one. It runs on 120VAC, so I wouldn't have needed a wall-wart to power it, or a box to put it in.

This looks like a bomb. I'd be afraid to buy it.

This looks like what Derby recommended but cheaper. (I didn't look into shipping cost.)
Packaged version? So a bomb in a box?

You know, everytime you use that "B" word on the internet, a terrorism alert is activated at the FBI. They now have you on their suspected terrorist list! :)
On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 02:35:31 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Darn. I didn't know that. Than'ks for the head's up.
An omb in an ox?

You must mean a ßomß in a ßox..... :)
On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 3:39:10 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Wonderful...he makes it look like I recommended one also.
Hide me!
On 12/1/2015 7:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Ideally, I use my furnace to heat during the winter. But some thing like this might be good if I was away a few days, and the furnace broke down.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 9:10:14 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm actually using it on a furnace...
I have a furnace in the attic. The condensate trap has standing water in it and without a heat tape around it, it has frozen and busted. Just setting the furnace back over night, during the day when away, etc is enough to keep it from running long enough to freeze up there when it's real cold out.
On 12/01/2015 06:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I see they have one without the plastic protrusions on top. The ones that serve no purpose other than to limit your use of the outlets.
--
23 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).