There's NO Fire !!!!!

I really wish people would stop saying a light is burning.

The light is TURNED ON. It's NOT BURNING....

I once heard that some guy called the fire department because someone told him his porch light was burning. Whether this is true or not, I donrt know, but I dont doubt its true considering how stupid some people are, but that term "light is burning" is really assenine. If it was burning there would be flames.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

It's probably a holdover from when lights actually were burning - first candles, and then gas or kerosene.

Chris

Reply to
chris

What is happening with that tungsten element? It is heated to the point it glows and then burns through doesn't it? You do not need huge flames to be burning. In the enclosure, it burns very slow compared to a bulb with no glass where it burns out in seconds.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Exactly , what is a glow, is it not a flame, cant see the problem with the term burnin... sorry

Reply to
deydinravn

What happens when the filament reaches the end of its lighting life? It doesn't turn off. It burns out. So common terms go.. Also things can burn and not have to flame. Your chain of thought is a bit of track. Jack

Reply to
Jack

Oh, don't worry; there will be flames, alright...

Reply to
lwasserm

Extinguish it.

RicodJour

Is your refrigerator running?

Well, you better go chase it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Come here and I'll whip your ass and make it burn. bwa-hahahahahahahaaaaa

Reply to
grg2006

snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Watch a charcoal grill in action;the coals -burn-,yet there is no flame. Rust is slow-burning iron.VERY slow.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I used to have a relative who always said lights were burning (I especially remember this with old holiday lights). It sounded strange.

And the sun isn't burning either (for one thing it couldn't be, without any oxygen).

Something else that isn't burning: spicy food.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

"Mark Lloyd" wrote

Well, maybe on the second day on its way out .............. I guess you could call that a sensation, but it sure seems like "burning" to me. Although, come to think of it, I have never seen flames or smoke. Just felt like it ..........

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

And

Engines are "running" (what are they doing?).

People are "flying"

etc, etc.

And now that it has been found that a light bulb is a "dark Sucker" so I suppose we should say the bulb is "sucking".

Rich256

Another odd one regarding lights, at least here in western PA, is turn out the light. Out??!!? Maybe a throw-back to gas lights?

Reply to
C & E

Wait while I get my beer out of the Ice box and Dial a friend on the telephone, Gee when is the last time your phone had a dial, but you Dial a number don`t you, hers your sign.

Reply to
m Ransley

hey I am from pittsburgh really n hills near ross park mall////////

Reply to
hallerb

According to what I've heard, spicy food stimulates your sensory nerves the same way fire would. This produces a burning sensation without actually burning.

BTW, got any idea what temperature your tongue would have to reach before it would actually burn? You may not want to try that experiment ;-)

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Before candles, olive oil with a wick.

Reply to
mm

They're worrying about security measures (I wish that one deserved a smiley).

The same way, bells are silence suckers.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

There's a scale that is used for rating hot things. Like spicy foods, and pepper spray. It is SHU, meaning S(can't remember the name) Heat Units. Maybe Scoville, but don't hold my feet to the fire, just guessing.

Jalepenos are like 40,000 to 60,000 and habanero and Scotch Bonnets are like

300,000.

And every can of pepper spray you buy has a SHU rating.

How do they figure that out?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B