There's NO Fire !!!!!

Page 1 of 2
I really wish people would stop saying a light is burning.
The light is TURNED ON. It's NOT BURNING....
I once heard that some guy called the fire department because someone told him his porch light was burning. Whether this is true or not, I donrt know, but I dont doubt its true considering how stupid some people are, but that term "light is burning" is really assenine. If it was burning there would be flames.
Mark
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 03:12:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

It's probably a holdover from when lights actually were burning - first candles, and then gas or kerosene.
Chris

Oh, don't worry; there will be flames, alright...
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 10:40:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@mcgill.ca wrote:

Before candles, olive oil with a wick.

What is happening with that tungsten element? It is heated to the point it glows and then burns through doesn't it? You do not need huge flames to be burning. In the enclosure, it burns very slow compared to a bulb with no glass where it burns out in seconds.
Exactly , what is a glow, is it not a flame, cant see the problem with the term burnin... sorry
Wait while I get my beer out of the Ice box and Dial a friend on the telephone, Gee when is the last time your phone had a dial, but you Dial a number don`t you, hers your sign.
m Ransley wrote:

I have a rotary cell phone.
FYI: The tungsten does not burn.
It glows because it is really hot. Eventually enough of it evaporates into the gas in the bulb so that one part heats even hotter. It then melts, boils and causes a break.
RickR
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

It can't burn with no oxygen in the bulb.

Mark Lloyd

You mean if I twisted the two pieces back together I could repair the bulb? I always wanted to do that. I spend way too much on lightbulbs each year.

snipped-for-privacy@ISP.com wrote:

If you could figure a way to do that and then re-establish the vacuum, it might be possible.

My mother used to know someone who repaired light bulbs.

Mark Lloyd
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 00:30:11 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ISP.com wrote:

I think you can do that, but then you need to remove all the air from the bulb and seal it.
Actually, some bulbs seem to fix themselves. I've seen it occasionally, mostly in C9 holiday lights. There is life after death, at least for those light bulbs. The light will be brighter after self-repair, since the filament is shorter now and so has lower resistance (notice that it's whiter too, because of the higher temperature). It goes out again quickly. That's how I know that if one bulb in a group is brighter than the others, it's about to die again.

Mark Lloyd
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

What happens when the filament reaches the end of its lighting life? It doesn't turn off. It burns out. So common terms go.. Also things can burn and not have to flame. Your chain of thought is a bit of track. Jack
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Extinguish it.

Is your refrigerator running?
Well, you better go chase it.
Steve
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 09:15:50 -0700, "Steve B"

This just isn't my day. I went to the fridge to get a beer and found the fridge was running. I chased it for several miles but it got away. I finally got back home and found the toilet was running. Chased that damn thing for over an hour and got all muddy in the process, but never caught the toilet. Got back home and wanted to take a bath. Guess what, the tub was running. I let it run, the hell with it. Thank God beds dont run..... Goodnight !!!!
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote in

Come here and I'll whip your ass and make it burn. bwa-hahahahahahahaaaaa
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote in

Watch a charcoal grill in action;the coals -burn-,yet there is no flame. Rust is slow-burning iron.VERY slow.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik