Then and now

Page 6 of 8

...and will be completely controlled, lock, stock, and salary, by Obamacare.

For the better paying jobs, the PharmD is really becoming the entry level degree.

yes I am thinking a pharmacist can be an old man job.... that is work part time even into your 80s and still make decent money
yes?
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 09:37:58 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote Re Re: Then and now:

Maybe. It depends on the employment policies of the big drug outlet that you work for: CVS, RiteAid, WalMart, Target, etc.
Pharmacists are becoming a dime a dozen and the big drug outlets have pretty much put the local mom/pop pharmacy out of business.
When you work for one of the big outlets, you're just another employee.

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 08:09:15 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Forget that! The government will tell you when to take a bathroom break.

Biochem is useless unless you go all the way to the PhD level. Pharmacy? Obama will own you.

What do you want to do?
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 09:29:55 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

That's what my brother learned on when he was doing his civil engineering tech course at Conestoga College a couple years later - they switched to WatFive while he was there. They had a Honeywell at the college that basically never worked (they refered to it as the "honey wagon" computer.
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 23:54:10 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

A couple of years later, when I had to take the same courses for credit, we used WatFIV (no 'e'). WatFIV == WATerloo Fortran IV.

In the EE department, we had a couple of Bendix G-20s pulled out of the scrap. Fortunately I never had to use them (avoided those courses). I did a lot of work on the analog computers, though. I was the only one who did.
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 00:06:44 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Correction It was fortran 4 (language) with the waterloo compiler 4 in Fortran IV with WatFor, and Fortran 4 (language) with waterloo compiler 5 in Fortran IV with WatFiv, or watfive, or wat5. All were used.
The language was Fortran (for formula translator) and the compiler was a separate program. Fortran is a compiled language, like C, not a translated? language.
The same code could be compiled to work on different processors and operating systems just by feeding the code into the proper compiler.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 15:19:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The acronym was as I stated above. It was stated as such, in the book from the University of Waterloo. Yes, WatFour was also ForTran IV, but it made a nice acronym.

Hence "ForTran", not "Fortran" (as in "BASIC", not "Basic"). It is a translated language, the compiler translates from ForTran into assembler. The assembler output was just a JCL statement away. WatFour/FIV also had a /CLG option, to Compile, Link, and Go, sorta-kinda like an interpreter to the user.
s/"translated"/"interpreted"?
BASIC is (classically) an interpreted language. A compiler is a translator (translates the HLL into another language, often machine). An interpreter does a statement at a time.

Sure, as with all compiled languages. A compiler that runs on one computer and produces code for another is called a "cross-compiler". Of course that only works with trivial programs (no I/O) if the computers have different operating systems.
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 15:19:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Interpreted was the word I was looking for.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 23:25:19 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

That's what the ? in 36? was all about.
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 23:50:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My mistake. Your syntax led me to believe that you were talking about the System-36, but wasn't sure.

Found it, and a $12 item would cost $78 today. Still, with a slide rule, you had to have an idea of what the answer would be, as they did not provide decimal places in most cases, unless the value was less than one on the scale. Interpolation was key.
For other uses, see Interpolation (disambiguation). In the mathematical subfield of numerical analysis, interpolation is a method of constructing new data points within the range of a discrete set of known data points.
In engineering and science one often has a number of data points, as obtained by sampling or experimentation, and tries to construct a function which closely fits those data points. This is called curve fitting or regression analysis. Interpolation is a specific case of curve fitting, in which the function must go exactly through the data points.
A different problem which is closely related to interpolation is the approximation of a complicated function by a simple function. Suppose we know the function but it is too complex to evaluate efficiently. Then we could pick a few known data points from the complicated function, creating a lookup table, and try to interpolate those data points to construct a simpler function. Of course, when using the simple function to calculate new data points we usually do not receive the same result as when using the original function, but depending on the problem domain and the interpolation method used the gain in simplicity might offset the error.
It should be mentioned that there is another very different kind of interpolation in mathematics, namely the "interpolation of operators". The classical results about interpolation of operators are the Riesz-Thorin theorem and the Marcinkiewicz theorem. There are also many other subsequent results.
Steve

One got used to keeping track of decimal places in one's head, a skill I quickly lost when switching to a calculator. Even though I do such calculations every day, I can't even do the simple estimates anymore. A calculator is just too handy of a crutch to retain that skill.
It's not so much interpolation as estimation and that's only needed to read the final result (or add ;-).
<snip>
On 12/27/2010 11:35 PM, Steve B wrote:

Heck, slide rules got us to the Moon. :-)
TDD
On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 21:15:25 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Can anyone under the age of 30 do simple division?
On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 18:04:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jerry - OHIO) wrote:

Gasoline wasn't all that different. http://www.inflationdata.com/inflation/images/charts/Oil/Gasoline_inflation_chart.htm
If you're a smoker, blame your government. Tobacco is incredibly cheap; taxes, not so much.
On 12/26/2010 5:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

http://www.inflationdata.com/inflation/images/charts/Oil/Gasoline_inflation_chart.htm
You may fin this interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxFrZCl-0Ig

TDD
On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 18:07:28 -0600, The Daring Dufas

How about, instead of the lower taxed states reducing the tax *differential*, the higher taxed states reducing the *tax*. All predictable and really dumb.
On 12/26/2010 7:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Isn't it amazing how that works. If the states would operate on the principle of put a tax on it that we can get away with, things would work a lot better. In a free enterprise system, a merchant understands that consumers vote with their feet and the selling price has to be low enough to prevent a customer from going elsewhere. Are you going to drive 50 miles to the state line to save 25 cents on your pack of smokes, or even drive to the next city to save the same quarter? If I was a smoker, I might drive to the next city if the if the price was 2 or 3 dollars less a pack and buy enough to last a while. $5.00 tax a pack and I would get together with friends and make a road trip to pick up a case or three. If I was really ambitious, I would rent a U-Haul and fill it up. :-)
TDD