Then and now

Page 2 of 8
On 12/27/2010 12:25 AM, Steve B wrote:

In 1973, I bought a used 1967 Renault 10 from a guy I worked with. It had 4 cylinder 1108cc water cooled rear engine, 4 wheel disk brakes, independent suspension, rack and pinion steering and a curb weight of 1,730lbs. I wound up rebuilding the engine and transmission while I owned it and had a lot of fun with it. I could pull the engine by hand and carry it to a workbench and it was really easy to service. It had the skinny 15 inch wheels like The VW Beetle but only three lug nuts per wheel. With the tiny engine and four speed manual transaxel, the little car got really good gas mileage. If I was in a tight parking spot, I could grab the front bumper and drag the car around so I could pull out. I would love to have one today, it was a simple inexpensive mode of transportation. Mine was dark blue. :-)
http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/renault_10_technical_specifications.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMQ359twQv4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU9Cm1V-tYc

TDD
On 12/27/2010 1:25 AM, Steve B wrote:

You say that now! I still have one, a 70 Dart with the slant six. When I get that magic combo of time and money it may go back on the road. Could use a sway bar as the suspension is a little primitive, and no AC of course, but one hell of an air vent. Did the upgrade to disk brakes...
I have a friend who blew up his slant six, threw a rod and I know it had good oil and was running well. Not sure how that could happen, but he may have been flying.
Jeff

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 07:52:13 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I had one and no problems starting when wet, and never replaced a starter. Karma. But no amount of karma kept the entire back end from rusting out.
--Vic
-snip-

I had to retire my '66 in 1985. The drive train had another 100k in it-- but the body had pretty much turned into O2. [even the Fe part was gone.]
Jim
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sorry, my 1973 Plymouth Satellite has factory electronic ignition.
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 14:28:14 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

Delcotronic EI was an option on Pontiac and Corvettes in 1963. Ford fitted Lucas EI on some European models around the same time. Delco/Remy tested the first EI in 1948. Mopar introduced its first EI in 1972
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 19:54:20 +0000 (UTC), "A. Baum"

Late 1971, actually.
On 12/27/2010 1:28 PM, Home Guy wrote:

I thought the Road Runner and other Mopars with the high performance engines got it in 72 then it went to all the other lines in 73.
TDD
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 18:15:34 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Put it on my '69
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 13:52:18 -0800, "Steve B"

as the 352 and many other engines across the ford line, I'd suspect it is still pretty reasonable. The starter for the later 429 would be a bit pricier. The Bird's Nest has quality reman starters for $49 for the '65 PartsTrain lists the (new) starter for the later 429 at about $126 and about the same for a '69 Dart six. Parts-train lists the starter for the '65 for from $32 for a rebuilt to $89 for a brand new one.

That's surprising. Some of the ones I've heard horror stories for some Japanese cars were almost as much as a down payment on a house.
Steve

I get spurts, but no longer want to do it either. I once could pull and reinstall a 283 or 327 by myself in two days, and not rushing it. I could have the heads off in an hour and a half. Now, I'm working on trolley systems, davits, and any lifting devices to help me just keep from hoisting stuff, which is the major part of the problem. And with all this new stuff that's shoehorned into a small compartment, it is tricky. And then there's the computer, and readout screen$.
But, still, it's nice to revive an old lawnmower here and there, or just some simple machinery, and keep some semblance of worth.
When we are all scrambling around, scrounging old parts and eating roaming lhasso apsos, we will again return to our position of power. But we'll be too old to remember what to do about it.
Life sucks.
Steve ;-)
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 23:20:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It was the '74 Sport, When I stop to think of it. I did put electronic ignition on the '69 later on.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 21:18:46 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

The '74 Dart was the only Chrysler I owned, and the slant six as trouble-free as the Chevy 2.8 and 3.1's I've settled on lately. Trans was good too. Car was dog slow though. Never had all those ignition problems you guys are talking about, and it went to the bone yard with the same starter it came with. But the back end rusted like crazy. Had to go when I was afraid the rear leaf spring mounts would let loose. You didn't have to crawl underneath to see them either. Just open the trunk and look. Trunk floor had dissolved.
--Vic
On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 22:12:54 -0600, Vic Smith

1s6, 90 in second, and bounce off the pin in third.
The 225 in my '69 was good for 104mph at half throttle, and the same wide open (just burned more gas). It would do 100 MPH for hours on end.(and did, across the midwest and the Canadian Prairies).
Both were slightly "tuned".
The 74 sport (225) was good for just over the 100, box stock. All 3 were automatics. Neither was particularly quick off the line.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote:

man, I loved my 78 Chrysler New Yorker.

Of all the mopars I owned, my '94 Plymouth Satellite was probably my favorite. I was now a happy family man and the roominess, convenience, and comfort of a 4-door was not lost on me. Yet, the damn thing, with a basic 318, was both plenty powerful and very responsive, handling wise. I put new radials on it and it was amazing. No wonder they were the premier cop/stunt cars in Hollywood for 10 yrs. Cheap, yet great handling.
nb
On 12/30/2010 8:21 AM, notbob wrote:

Are you sure it was a '94? :-)
TDD

DOH!!!
Good catch, DD. I meant a '74. Before that I had a '66 of the same make/model. I bought the '66 for $400 and drove it 80 miles a day for 5 yrs before it did a Bluesmobile on me. ;)
nb
On 12/30/2010 10:36 AM, notbob wrote:

Got-ya! I thought it reminded me of a 20 year older model. I had a '75 Fury I named Christine because you couldn't kill it. :-)
TDD