Then and now

Page 1 of 8
The links are to the Carpe Diem site. It's written by an economics professor. He is comparing what Americans could buy back in the 60s with what we can buy now. Things are better now.
http://tinyurl.com/2bal4ta
http://tinyurl.com/3y79pgq
The stuff in his examples are used in the home.
Dean Hoffman wrote:

Certainly true for appliances and electronics. However, for a nickel (each) I used to be able to buy...
A coke A candy bar A phone call A cup of coffee. With refills.
A nickel then requires about $0.40 now. Got any of those items for $0.40 recently?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

fifty sound right for the sixteen ouncers now?

that has gotten cheaper. Fifteen cents a minute even on my prepaid cell phone.

I think a buck something at McDonald's for the large one.

No he meant talk as long as you want for a local call. And a young man could go to the matinee at the movie house for 15 or 20 cents at the same time. Heck 50 cents would get you in most movies, a bag of popcorn, a drink and a nickel left to call for a ride home.
Let's see, last week the cheapest first run movie was $4, the popcorn was 5.50, a small drink 3.75 and there were no pay phones to use so without cell service you were SOL. A prepaid plan cost about 25 cents a minute but you have to buy ahead.
Tell the professor to get his head out of his A** and visit the real world.
Colbyt

Movie admission .09 Pop corn .10 Soft drink .05 candy (2ea.) .01
Grand total .25
That was how I spent my weekly allowance every Saturday morning.
Circa 1950
On Dec 26, 8:54pm, "Stormin Mormon"

I'm 62. We got a half a buck (wish I would have saved those silver Liberty halves), admission was fifteen cents, popcorn and drinks were a dime, candy bars were a nickel.
Today's dollars would be about $17 for the same things.
Steve
Colbyt wrote:

Right. And if one were not scrupulously honest, one could do it for $0.01...if you flipped a penny just right it would register as a nickel.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Dean Hoffman wrote the following:

1940s - Pepsi Cola - 12 oz - .05 cents + 2 cent bottle deposit Coca Cola - 6 oz. - same price and deposit as above Pepsi jingle. "Pepsi-Cola hits the spot. Twelve full ounces, that's a lot. Twice as much for a nickel, too, Pepsi-Cola is the drink for you." Times were tough back then so we kids always bought the Pepsi. Today, it's Coke.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

But not the cola. ;-)

A better comparison might be instead of comparing dollars comparing the number of minutes working to earn the cost of the various items.
Charlie

A buck and a half a sixpack (12oz.).

Long distance = $0

Coke and phone calls, certainly.

You'd probably burn up $10 worth of gas looking for a pay phone in my neck of the woods. But can you imagine telling someone they could pay $30 a month for a phone they could carry around with them- and talk coast to coast for as long as you wanted for whatever the average hourly pay was in those days? [$3-4?]
About the time all those things were a nickel, I got my first job. $.60 an hour planting trees. I bet that job pays $8.00 now.
*These* are the good *new* days.
Jim

You bet!
And in '64' gas was 32.9 and smokes were $ . 32 a pack. Jerry
On 12/26/2010 6:04 PM, Jerry - OHIO wrote:

In '65 heating oil was 15 cents a gallon but when I was a teenager in the '50's, 18 cents would get you either a gallon of gas, a quart of milk, a loaf of bread or a pack of smokes.
On 12/26/2010 5:22 PM, Frank wrote:

Back in '71 gasoline was 22 cents per gallon at rural service stations, the name brand stations in town were charging 35 cents per gallon. This was in Northeast Alabamastan. :-)
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

The cheapest gas I remember my dad buying was a dime a gallon. That was for farm use (no tax) and during a price war. It was probably in the mid 1960s but I don't remember for sure.
On 12/26/2010 8:17 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Oh heck, I forgot about the no tax of tractor gas. My dad had a 50gal drum with a hand crank pump on it and every now and then we took it to the local service station to fill it up. He got a bit cross with me for pumping gas into my 66 Doge Dart when I wanted to go on the prowl. Of course back then, the little 6 cylinder car would go forever on a dollars worth of gas. :-)
TDD

That Dart with the slant six was a damn good car. My buddy had one. It wasn't the hot rod of the day, but it had wheels, and the heater and radio worked. Life was good. We didn't have to ride the bus. Wish I had one today.
Steve