Theft from locked cars

Page 3 of 4
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 20:27:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net wrote:

Most places I know of, you have to abuse an animal to be charged with animal abuse. Locking an animal in a car on a hot day with the windows rolled up would qualify, but not simply locking an animal in a car under humane conditions.
BB

Wishful thinking at best.
Twice in thirty years, I've been the victim of an auto theft: a 1968 Dodge Dart stolen in June 1979, and a 1986 Suburban stolen in January 2000.
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 13:04:09 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Perfect target for anyone looking for hard to find parts!

Both were taken by joyriders.

I had a '68 Chevelle stolen in '74. Gorgeous, low mileage. I'd just spent a couple weeks on the finish (after work). Never saw it again. Broke my heart.

Miss America?
..and all 50 of those want world peace. :-)
Joe F.

Both of mine were recovered. The thieves that stole my Dart had a minor accident the next day in the middle of a busy intersection, which resulted in the other driver calling the cops. And when the Suburban was stolen, they ditched it a few hours later when they stole some other guy's car. By coincidence, his auto insurance is through the same *agent* (not just the same company) as mine. I had already called the agent; when the second guy called in, he described the Suburban, and the agent put two and two together and called me right away. "Does your Suburban have thus-and-such bumper sticker on it?" Yep, sure does. "Well, we found it..."
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:01:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Where's the "joy" in driving either of those? 8^)>
BB
When I lived in Cambridge (near MIT, as a matter of fact) in the mid- 1970's, someone stole my '66 VW bug. Wish I had it back.

My Integra was 9 years old when the thieves stole the engine control module(used for installing hopped up motors in their car),it took 6 weeks to get a new one. I had an alarm installed the same day I got the car back.(and I know they visited to check it out,too,I spotted them.)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Because alarms are useless. They keep out the 10 year olds at best. A friend had her alarm equipped car stolen when it was sitting about 30 feet from her office. Ed
wrote in message

my auto-insurance gives a discount for a professionally installed theft-deterant device. a hidden kill switch...
but for those with valuables in plain view, forget it. unless you have a military grade hummer, you'll be left with broken pieces of glass and missing items.
-a|ex

Mine did too before we moved to another state - here we don't get it!

safe?
driver
trunk
Solution. Don't lock things in the trunk and walk away from the car. Lock them in, drive to your next stop, and don't disturb the trunk until you are ready to leave that area.
The problem is people watching you lock things in the trunk. They then know which trunk to break into.
Bob

isn't it funny how "most" car thieves have worked for an auto company,alarm company or lock smith.
it doesn't matter what security you have if your car is in high demand .......................kiss it good by!
the thieves are the ones who design these security systems.
besides......after your vehicle is stolen..........who "would" want it back. have you ever seen what they do to "your" stolen vehicle?

company,alarm
back.
they strip it down, set the remaining frame/shell where it can be found. then purchase the frame/shell at the auction and put all the pieces back on.
-a|ex

Actually,just forcing the entire doorlock to turn can open the door.

It's been like that in my apartment complex for many years.Leave a cellphone,CD player,or other valuable in your car and in sight,and someone will smash a window,grab it,and run.Or if they want parts off your model car;my Integra's engine control module (ECU,computer module)was stolen last year.($775 list,six weeks to get one!)
Also,thieves use a slide-hammer dent puller; a rod with a sliding weight and a screw on the other end,screw it into the lock,then slide the weight to yank the cylinder out of the door/trunk.Works very fast.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

sliding weight

the weight

Gee. I've got one of those. I'll have to give it a try.
Bob

Wow. The things I have learned.
I live in a very pleasant and safe city, Edmonton, Alberta, and my original post was a wakeup call to myself not to leave personal documents and my laptop in the car, especially when with a rental car in a strange city. Losing a laptop would hurt (hasn't happened yet) but losing my work in that laptop would really freak me out. Same for personal travel documents.
The wakeup part is that someone would steal high visibility, bulky low resale value groceries. And in my "safe" city! The victim mentioned only a broken door lock. How easily the whole theft was done in a busy Christmas car park lot made me think out how it could be done. Sobering. I will never leave anything that I cannot to lose in my car again.

You *DO* have backups for everything important on that laptop, right?
--Goedjn.
(17 years of helpdesk/consulting, and I've yet to cross paths with someone who says "yes" to that question...)
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 02:03:49 -0500, Goedjn

Yes, on all three computers (desktop at home, desktop at work, and laptop) and on a local server. As a doctoral student with lots of research and completed papers, I can't afford to lose my work.