Theft deterrent for garden shed

Page 5 of 5
"Jim McLaughlin" <jim.mclaughlin> writes:

I've used a fair amount of the X10 stuff for reacting to whatever is going on around and in my house. The lights which automatically go on and off when you enter/leave rooms are a fine thing.
X10.com is annoying as hell, but they are cheap. There are other vendors who sell the X10 stuff.
You would need a chime module, a RF motion detector, and RF to powerline transceiver.
Visit the comp.home.automation group. Beware the route of home automation, it leads down the path of much playing. ;)
--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Cheap. Don't last long.

You can get better stuff at http://www.smarthome.com/.

I'd avoid wireless (RF) whenever possible. This adds extra complexity, with the associated loss of reliability. You don't need RF if you can put the motion-sensor on the side of your house, or the shed is on the same wiring.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

That's a cool trick and it works really well.
The cops are right about bolting all the way through the door, especially if you install a steel plate on the back, too. You'll need to use carriage bolts so there's nothing for a screwdriver to fit into on the outside.
But, if the door's hinged on the outside, there's still a problem, although there's a solution of sorts. Is that how the door's mounted?
KD,
You may wish to rig a motion detector up at the shed door. The hasp really should be bolted to a reinforced part of the door. If the doors are easy to remove then fix the doors. A determined thief may still get in.
Dave M.

<snip>
_Locks keep honest people honest._ Make the nut tougher to crack and that will deter casual miscreants. Previous posts regarding jamb pins on the hinge side and carriage bolts through a back plate are right on target.
--
Chris

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:09:23 +0000 (UTC), Chris

And create a lot of extra work (and at least some expense). You still need locks, but don't forget the other side.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Put up security lighting to start with.

interesting note:

Good suggestions. You have good advice on how to fix the latch part of the door. Now for the hinges...
Go buy piano hinges. Look it up. There are good online hardware sources that stock these.
Of course the thief could always just take off a bit of siding to gain access...
-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
you can replace the shed with a armored concrete block shelter, with blast doors, and nuclear bomp plant security measures.....
but it will cost more than the stuff your trying to protect.
some fake security cameras and warning signs should do it
Put a fence around your shed. Put an ill-tempered dog inside the fence.

Yeah, but then you'd have a dog. Worse than being burglarized.

Put a fake doggy door on the shed door. Run a big logging chain into the shed, attached to a pole outside. Set the biggest dog dish with the biggest chunks of dog food you can find in front of the shed. Maybe dig a couple of holes in front of and aside of the shed for effect. Of course none of this will fool the neighbors wherefrom comes the perpetrators probably.

How about some of those "Protected by (some major security company)" labels?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
KD wrote:

Pet skunk, large dog, burglar alarm with motion detector or door trigger?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
KD wrote:
<re: thefts from shed>

Do you have a fenced yard? If so, how about a German Shephard? Rottweiler? Pit Bull?
I'm half joking, half serious. Good friends of mine live in an area that is prone to yard thefts. They have a chain link fence and a German Shephard. They've not been burgled yet.
Loren

I took down one of those tubular steel instant tent carport thinguses. It was a nice one, and cost me about $100. I put up a better sunshade. Anyway, I had all these galvanized poles, about two inches in diameter and five to eight feet long.
I stacked them on a shelf I had on the block wall. I rigged a couple of uprights to hold them in. I rigged pins so that if someone opened the gate a cord would pull the pins and all of the poles would roll off the shelf and onto the concrete.
Well, so far I have forgotten once, and my wife has forgotten once to unhook the cord when going into the enclosure. It scares the holy shit out of you in the dark, and makes a racket that will wake up most of the neighbors and dogs within a block. Nothing that can hurt anyone, just really make a racket that will wake the dead and the motion light comes on.
I had thought of rigging it to a couple of ladders I have to fall over, but didn't want to kill anyone or hurt my good ladders. That was after I had been burgled, and wanted revenge, but that passed. Plus, my daughter is a police officer, and asked what would happen if the police were chasing someone and got conked. Good point.
You can get creative, make a noisy booby trap, and create an effective safe deterrent without killing someone or laying yourself bare to a lawsuit. You just gotta think about it. Standing them up on end with a cord around them and a pull string would work too, but having them fall about six feet makes enough racket to just about make you shit your pants. Easy and cheap.
Steve

Ya know....with ideas like those metal pipes, you could probably start a part time business. I love it! Are you any good at rigging doorways with buckets of water? Think of how many offices have retirement parties each week. :-)