Theft deterrent for garden shed

Page 4 of 5
Thomas Daniel Horne wrote:

HOORAY for people with common sense!
If you go rustling around other people's property after dark, you deserve what you get.
Too bad this new liberal philosophy and Political Correctness atmosphere do not agree. But who really gives a fuck? Not me. Instant justice would get rid of a lot of the human garbage on our streets, and lessen the problems of society and the infrastructure in dealing with these walking breathing feces.
In the old days of the wild west, many a badass was shot dead in the dark of night by "person or persons unknown" and there was not a lot made of the incident. One less idiot to deal with for the local police.
Too bad there is not more of that today.
Steve
wrote

It still happens, but mostly by skilled artisans, many of whom live near the Hudson River. :-)
Steve B wrote:

handle matters and not be too much like the days of the past taking matters into our own hands.
That did and today would still allow to quick a judgment on others, many time did and would hand innocent people without a fair trial.
However, today we do not have a proper non corrupted and decent legal and justice system, still too many people are being convicted due to sloppy detective work, no real evidence, over serious district attorneys trying to make a good record so they can go into private practice, etc, etc, etc...
Also there are the times, when I believe that even with a proper legal system, they can not always be everywhere at anytime protecting others and I really do not want to have to rely on being baby sitted anyway with a over controlling government which is what we are getting today.
People should have the basic right to defend their property to a degree but ultimately defend their lives by any means necessary, only what is necessary.
Trespass, that is one thing, break into my home, I can not wait until I ask if they intend to do personal harm, By that time I could already be shot. No, I am going to make the first move before that can happen !
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 10:03:13 -0500, MC wrote:

I hope you understand that the police are under no obligation to protect you. Their only mandate is to clean up the mess after and try to find the culprit. ...lot good that does you.

If someone unknown comes in my house it won't take much time to judge. They've waived all rights to anything close to fair (whatever "fair" means).

Bullshit. There are far too many let loose. only to rape and pillage again.

You really don't get it. The police have *no* responsibility to protect you. They might, you're lucky.

When somene enters your house illegally, their rights have just been stamped *void*. I wouldn't shoot someone in the back yard, but with a foot in the kitchen window?!

Exactly. Your safety has nothing to do with the police. It is *your* responsibility.
The above said, I do have guns in the house, though none are usually loaded (they're really target pistols). We live in a very safe area where a large percentage of the people are armed. Recently there was a big uptick in home invasions (a few druggies), though the perps were caught. I was about a day shy of feeding Mr. Smith and making him a comfortable bed in the nightstand.
Shoot someone taking a ruddabega from the garden, no.
--
Keith

Bob wrote:

If someone is breaking into your shed, you confront him and he raises his hand with something that looks like a gun in it.... around here you could shoot him and just say you were in fear for your life. If he has a screwdriver in his hand, you can't... unless he advances on you even after being warned you have a gun. In that situation you could shoot without fear of prosecution as well.
What you can't do is lay a trap. Frankly, I would much rather scare they bad guy off so he could go look for easier pickings at one of my unarmed neighbor's houses instead. That's why I'd use a pump shotgun as my weapon of choice. The alarm goes off, the lights go on, the dog barks, I grab the shotgun, open the door, rack a shell... an unmistakable sound.... and yell. No thief is going to hang around after all that. I mean, we're just talking about a shed; not a bank vault.

If you're not reasonably in fear for your life, you have no right to take another. It's off to jail with you.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:07:22 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

I have seen something similar on a fence. It was "Our dogs can reach the fence in 3 seconds. Can you?".
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Someone in my backyard, also in Atlantic Canada, was taking the screws out of the panels in my shed. We noticed a couple gone one day, and two more the next day. The police suggested we crazy glue the screws and that seems to have worked. We don't have much crime here, but there was a rash of shed break-ins and unlocked cars being riffled, plus a couple of bikes where stolen from an open garage.
I'm a lot more paranoid than more of my neighbours, at least I lock the door when I leave the house..
HotRod wrote:

I have a shed right behind my bedroom with five layers of security. One, it's next to the house where I sleep. Two, I have a dog that likes raw meat, preferably still on the ankle. Three, I have motion sensors that turn flood lights on all the way around my house. There is no angle of approach that will not trigger one of them. Four, I have a wireless motion sensor in the shed that rings a doorbell in my bed room and turns on *my* bedroom lights. You can even hear the doorbell ring from inside the shed. And five, there is a lock on the shed's door.
All of these things contribute to the overall security. I've never had a break in, or even an attempt.
As for the motion sensors when there's already a street light, what you want is a change to draw attention. That's why motion sensors are still a good idea.
Don't leave a trap. The classic case from so many years ago involved a fellow who set a shotgun trap at knee height after numerous break ins. When the bad guys broke in again, he was severely wounded. The property owner went to jail. If I'd been on the jury he wouldn't have, but I wasn't and he did. Don't join him.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I've got a few of those features, in that the shed is next to the house, and it is always locked.
Yes, I wasn't seriously contemplating a trap, certainly not one involving a shotgun. That wouldn't be a deterrent anyhow, it would only get the perpetrator after the fact, and get bloodstains on my shed. Same with the skunk/glitter thing - would cause more mess than it's worth, although it would cause me to laugh a lot. :)
I'll definitely be bolting the locks to the doors with bolts that go all the way through, and will also be investing in a motion detector light. Interesting idea to have something that will ring the doorbell when someone is lurking, but I think that's a bit beyond our DIY skills.
Thanks!
KD
KD wrote:

No it's not. I bought this thing at Home Depot. There are two parts: the transmitter is battery powered and mounted to a roof joist inside the shed with two little screws. The receiver is sitting on my bedside table and is plugged into the wall. the lamp is plugged in turn into the receiver.
Installation is about 5 minutes.
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0977303834.1138646258@@@@&BV_EngineIDdhaddgljejhhkcgelceffdfgidgjj.0&MID76
Heath Zenith Wireless Command Remote Motion Sensor
Model SL6030WH5
Price: $24.99/ea
Note: that's just the transmitter; you also need a SL 6012 WH5 indoor plug in lamp module with audible alarm. $19.99 at Home Depot.
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id1730&cm_mmc=1hd.com2froogle-_-product_feed-_-D27X-_-161730&srccode=cii_14110944&cpncode    -6611513-2
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Thanks for the info. Off to the Borg hive.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
Ahh put up some security signs and a couple FAKE security cameras, or even real ones f you want, they turn on a recoder when activated.
No shed burglar wants his poicture taken:)
This ois the kinda trap to set, one thats OBVIOUS and thus discourage pilferage!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

broke into my house and they got shot. He said if they were not all the way inside, drag them in then call him.
In the south (most parts) people are expected to be able to defend themselves from invaders at any cost.
There is one town here in Georgia that passed a law some time ago where all homeowners are required to own a gun, crime dropped to almost nil.
Some places allow deadly fore to be used in case of car jacking attempts.
It would not be wise for anyone to try and break into my house and I am home, A lawyer once told me dead people can not sue.....
this interesting note:

All seemingly good advice. Except for that last comment. While it is true that the dead can't sue, their families can, and often times do!
-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
John Willis wrote:

Anyway, It would seem that if other family members can sue on behelf of someone else in that case, Then maybe the family of the person getting sued could counter sue that family.
Anyway, I would have the resources to tie their claim up in court so long to bankrupt them, and then I would counter sue every one of their family members back, take their homes and leave them on the street. worst than having their home broke into and see how they like being a victim.
this interesting note:

I like that way of thinking!
-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

The lights also make the cops much more comfortable about entering the yard. It's helps if they're aimed correctly, which generally, they never are. Too many people face the floodlights straight out at the street, thereby blinding the cops when they arrive. Duh.
MUCH SNIPPED

and turning on house lights is very good.
You said wireless?
What kind and brand of components did you use?
TIA.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
Jim McLaughlin wrote:

Heath/Zenith. See my other posting for links to the specific products at Home Depot. No doubt other vendors sell them as well.
One thing I may not have made clear was the nature of the audible alarm: it *sounds* just like a doorbell ringing but it is not wired into my door bell directly. It's still loud enough to wake you from a dead sleep. I know this because I discovered that the alarm goes off when the battery in the transmitter gets weak... and will continue to go off continuously until you either replace the battery or it finally goes completely dead.
I feel pretty secure in having expensive tools out there.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN