Theft deterrent for garden shed

Not bluster, necessarily. You said earlier that you weren't exactly sure of the laws in your state. So, you're making just as much of a blanket statement as he is. However, the facts tend to be conclusive, when you can find them. For instance, one source is the monthly NRA magazine, which publishes excerpts from news reports around the country, detailing incidents where people *IN THEIR HOMES OR BUSINESSES* used guns to stop bad guys. It's very rare for citizens in such situations to be charged with anything at all.

Most home invasions occur when nobody's home. The police tend to agree with law-abiding citizens about one thing: If someone breaks into your home while you're there, it's highly likely that they are either dangerous by choice (armed and ready to hurt you if necessary), or they are not sane. This eliminates any nonsense about finding out first if the person is a danger to you. The logical assumption is that they are. In most states, you may then do whatever you feel is appropriate, as long as the intruder is IN YOUR DWELLING. Not your yard, not your driveway, not your garden shed. In the house, you are not required to retreat to a safe room, although that's not a bad idea. You are not required to get out the bandages if you shoot someone. Matter of fact, the police generally prefer that you stay away from the intruder until help arrives, since heavily drugged people can be oblivious to pain and may still be dangerous.

These are not nice things to think about, which is why people like to believe they're not true. Yes, the laws vary a bit from place to place, but the general idea remains pretty consistent. Nobody expects citizens to greet an intruder in the middle of the night and simply ask them to leave. That's stupid.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

A 16 year old is not considered to be a "kid" where we live, except by his parents. Most people call them teenagers, kids are much younger.

It was a tragic and somewhat unexplainable occurrence. Mostly a cultural and language failure problem and a one in a million tragedy with the host family at least partially responsible.

The Wikipedia article is more than a little inflammatory.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I was fine with it right up until it started with that Dirty Harry crap. I stopped reading when I noticed the agenda being pushed.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Maybe not so much now.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Give it up, George! A 16 yo is a kid anywhere in the new world. He was murdered for 'looking foreign', and the murderer got away with it, plain and simple. The Japanese aren't exactly noted for their stature, so he was much smaller than an American kid his age would be.

You must be one of the people who think 6-year-olds who yell at their mommies should be prosecuted as adults.

Get a life.

I asked the sheriff in my town once about what would happen if someone broke into my house and they got shot. He said if they were not all the way inside, drag them in then call him.

In the south (most parts) people are expected to be able to defend themselves from invaders at any cost.

There is one town here in Georgia that passed a law some time ago where all homeowners are required to own a gun, crime dropped to almost nil.

Some places allow deadly fore to be used in case of car jacking attempts.

It would not be wise for anyone to try and break into my house and I am home, A lawyer once told me dead people can not sue.....

Reply to
MC

So...murderous little gangbangers who beat the cr@p out of little old ladies and riddle innocent bystanders with bullets over drug dealing turf wars should be ... spanked?

Reply to
– Colonel –

IIRC, most U.S. states don't consider it a "home invasion" UNLESS somebody is home. Otherwise it's just a plain-vanilla burglary.

Reply to
– Colonel –

I don't think that's what he meant. But, if you choose to view only extremes, that's your prerogative.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Correct, but I used the term because in fact, that's what it is.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:30:17 -0500, MC scribbled this interesting note:

All seemingly good advice. Except for that last comment. While it is true that the dead can't sue, their families can, and often times do!

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

You sound like an ignorant red-neck. No wonder most American kids act like undisciplined babies if they have parents that expect so little of them like you. In much of the world, 16 year olds are father and mothers a part of the adult community.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in news:888Ef.585105$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

The missing bit of information is that the American hand-motion for "get out of here" is *exactly* the Japanese/Chinese/Korean hand-motion for "come closer". The redneck waved the Jap kid away, so the kid came forward and got shot. Simple explanation.

-----------------

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
misterpaslowAT

No, that's not true. He had a "Pea Brain."

Reply to
Keith

If you recall, which you don't appear to, you implied that an innocent 16yo, who was murdered for turning onto the wrong walk, was wrong and deserved his fate.

Just so you know, our own children are hard-working, successful, church-going adults now, with children of their own. Those children are being raised to the same decent moral standards their parents were taught.

Am I a failure in your eyes because not a one of them has yet murdered someone else's child for sport? If that's the case, tell me how many they have to kill to become good citizens in your eyes, and I'll try to get the shooting started right away. Random is okay, right? Or maybe you can suggest some targets for them? Maybe some kid bouncing his basketball too loudly, or wearing his pants too low?

American kids aren't the problem. It's nervous old men like you, who want the world to always be the way it was, and who feel left behind when they fail to adapt. That makes is the kids' fault? Our population is changing rapidly; getting both darker and more Asian with every passing moment. That's not going to stop because you don't particularly care for it, so try to be a bit more welcoming.

I'm not the redneck in this discussion, and it has no business in this newsgroup anyhow. The OP was wanting to defend a shed, not murder little boys. And you really should take a closer look at American kids, because the generation coming up looks just fine to me.

To the OP: When my motorcycle was stolen from a locked garage that's out of sight from the house, this is what I did.

I picked up an omni-directional microphone and a tag-sale guitar amplifier. The microphone dangles from the ceiling of the garage, and the amp is on whenever the light isn't. Just rattling the door makes a horrendous noise now, and it's audible for several hundred feet in all directions. Everyone knows when I insert the key in the lock, for instance. When I did this, I moved the light switch inside the door down near floor level; just somewhere unexpected.

Oh, the amp is placed facing out of the gable-end vent, which is slotted.

My investment was about $50, and nobody can enter that garage undetected now.

hold on there ! Spanking isn't even allowed these days!

And that is why we have all the problems with kids today, no displine period.

Reply to
MC

It was a half hearted, almost serious comment

Anyway, It would seem that if other family members can sue on behelf of someone else in that case, Then maybe the family of the person getting sued could counter sue that family.

Anyway, I would have the resources to tie their claim up in court so long to bankrupt them, and then I would counter sue every one of their family members back, take their homes and leave them on the street. worst than having their home broke into and see how they like being a victim.

Reply to
MC

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:22:22 -0500, MC scribbled this interesting note:

I like that way of thinking!

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

you can replace the shed with a armored concrete block shelter, with blast doors, and nuclear bomp plant security measures.....

but it will cost more than the stuff your trying to protect.

some fake security cameras and warning signs should do it

Reply to
hallerb

Is it safe to assume you were being silly when you said that?

Reply to
Doug Kanter