Theft deterrent for garden shed

Page 3 of 5  


Idiots spank. Fools don't. At least idiots care what their kids are doing.
Steve
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote

If the kids need spanking, it's because someone was too lazy or stupid to reason with them. It's really not that difficult.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Doug Kanter wrote:

may be necessary and if so must be done not in agretion, by anger, but in a controlled way. There are ways to do without doing harm but hurting their feelings.
When I was young, there were times that if I had not been spanked (the reasoning failed) I would have not thought about more carefully the next time oppertunity arose to do something that I should not have. I would have been in jail most likely instead I lived a very straight and productive life so far and have developed a more deeper appretiation of what my parents did and how much they cared. I never was physically harmed, no bruises, but several but stings. Love my parents today more than anything! Even then, I may have said I did not like the way they made me have to do things etc, but even then I appreciated in a way that they cared enough to make be behave, Gave me a lot of respect for them and still do.
I see many more parents today, turn the other way not to notice what their kids are doing, as long as the police are not coming to their door, all is OK. They reason and when that fails they just go on frustrated and the whole family will suffer. It is really a miracle some kids do get it and do try to do what is best. I can not really blame the parents directly, any problems and they are afraid that the government will step in and take the kids away, put them in jail, ruin their lives. I believe parents do care and love their kids very much no matter how bad things are, but many just do not know what to do when the kids today are taught that they can have anyone arrested if they do not get their way by just making up some sort of abuse story to get even (kids do not think of consequences, they just act on their anger and the time). This is terrible since it is over shadowing the real abuses that happen.
We have a problem in this country were traditional and cultural values are being broken down, then society wanting the government to solve all our problems for us. by treating over powered government entities without anyone else overseeing their operation many times is to blame with disrupting the family at their will do to any, even many times false, allegations of abuse and many times today, abuse from within that system of government itself.
OK, jumping off the soap box now......
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
k wrote:

You sound like an ignorant red-neck. No wonder most American kids act like undisciplined babies if they have parents that expect so little of them like you. In much of the world, 16 year olds are father and mothers a part of the adult community.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The missing bit of information is that the American hand-motion for "get out of here" is *exactly* the Japanese/Chinese/Korean hand-motion for "come closer". The redneck waved the Jap kid away, so the kid came forward and got shot. Simple explanation. ----------------- www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road -----------------
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
with so many 2 parents working, and kids in daycare, the children arent getting taught values, they are just kept from hurting themselves.
this disengration of the american family produces all sorts of trouble, made worse by tv being a babysitter. tv showing murders, rapes etc constantly.
sadly kids today dont know its bad.........
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If you recall, which you don't appear to, you implied that an innocent 16yo, who was murdered for turning onto the wrong walk, was wrong and deserved his fate.
Just so you know, our own children are hard-working, successful, church-going adults now, with children of their own. Those children are being raised to the same decent moral standards their parents were taught.
Am I a failure in your eyes because not a one of them has yet murdered someone else's child for sport? If that's the case, tell me how many they have to kill to become good citizens in your eyes, and I'll try to get the shooting started right away. Random is okay, right? Or maybe you can suggest some targets for them? Maybe some kid bouncing his basketball too loudly, or wearing his pants too low?
American kids aren't the problem. It's nervous old men like you, who want the world to always be the way it was, and who feel left behind when they fail to adapt. That makes is the kids' fault? Our population is changing rapidly; getting both darker and more Asian with every passing moment. That's not going to stop because you don't particularly care for it, so try to be a bit more welcoming.
I'm not the redneck in this discussion, and it has no business in this newsgroup anyhow. The OP was wanting to defend a shed, not murder little boys. And you really should take a closer look at American kids, because the generation coming up looks just fine to me.
To the OP: When my motorcycle was stolen from a locked garage that's out of sight from the house, this is what I did.
I picked up an omni-directional microphone and a tag-sale guitar amplifier. The microphone dangles from the ceiling of the garage, and the amp is on whenever the light isn't. Just rattling the door makes a horrendous noise now, and it's audible for several hundred feet in all directions. Everyone knows when I insert the key in the lock, for instance. When I did this, I moved the light switch inside the door down near floor level; just somewhere unexpected.
Oh, the amp is placed facing out of the gable-end vent, which is slotted.
My investment was about $50, and nobody can enter that garage undetected now.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
scribbled this interesting note:

I'm sure Texas handles such things different than most other states. My understanding is that here in WA, someone just being in your house does not make a shooting justifiable.
Bob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
scribbled this interesting note:

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
John Willis wrote:

It depends on how fast you can talk to the cops afterwards. If you can't convince them that you had "reasonable person" cause to think you or your family were in deadly danger it's the gray bar hotel. Same as someone breaks in threatening you, shoot on the way in but not as he is leaving.
Harry K
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
scribbled this interesting note:

If you own a gun for home defense, the law in your state is something you should know. Ask your attorney who he/she would call if they had to shoot someone in their house. It's usually a criminal lawyer you'll need to call. Call that lawyer and spend the hundred bucks for the short conversation so you understand your laws.
Unfortunately, you may be at the mercy of the 54%, who, like smarter people, are allowed to sit on a jury. Some will fall for the "How did Mr. Jones know for sure that the intruder was a threat?" nonsense. You really need to know your laws.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bob wrote:

Yeah he has to be alive and moving, and the person should not be your wife, your girl friend, your kids, and definitely not your mother-in-law. Forget all that if the person is from California, shoot till your ears ring.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
scribbled this interesting note:

You say this, but you seem to know nothing. You can get into serious trouble by shooting someone unless you can convince the authorities that you were in serious threat of bodily harm. All your bluster is nothing more than bluster.
Bob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
scribbled this interesting note:

Not bluster, necessarily. You said earlier that you weren't exactly sure of the laws in your state. So, you're making just as much of a blanket statement as he is. However, the facts tend to be conclusive, when you can find them. For instance, one source is the monthly NRA magazine, which publishes excerpts from news reports around the country, detailing incidents where people *IN THEIR HOMES OR BUSINESSES* used guns to stop bad guys. It's very rare for citizens in such situations to be charged with anything at all.
Most home invasions occur when nobody's home. The police tend to agree with law-abiding citizens about one thing: If someone breaks into your home while you're there, it's highly likely that they are either dangerous by choice (armed and ready to hurt you if necessary), or they are not sane. This eliminates any nonsense about finding out first if the person is a danger to you. The logical assumption is that they are. In most states, you may then do whatever you feel is appropriate, as long as the intruder is IN YOUR DWELLING. Not your yard, not your driveway, not your garden shed. In the house, you are not required to retreat to a safe room, although that's not a bad idea. You are not required to get out the bandages if you shoot someone. Matter of fact, the police generally prefer that you stay away from the intruder until help arrives, since heavily drugged people can be oblivious to pain and may still be dangerous.
These are not nice things to think about, which is why people like to believe they're not true. Yes, the laws vary a bit from place to place, but the general idea remains pretty consistent. Nobody expects citizens to greet an intruder in the middle of the night and simply ask them to leave. That's stupid.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

IIRC, most U.S. states don't consider it a "home invasion" UNLESS somebody is home. Otherwise it's just a plain-vanilla burglary.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload


Correct, but I used the term because in fact, that's what it is.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Doug Kanter wrote:

just being on the property. It's an old anti rustling law that is still recognized by the Texas courts.
--
Tom Horne

"people willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
scribbled this interesting note:

I wonder if it applies to stray dogs. If yes, I wish we had that here. :-)
Meanwhile: In Sag Harbor, Long Island, it's illegal to walk your pig within the village's business section on Sundays. Heavily enforced, I'm sure.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:05:20 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

So far as I know, so long as you are in an area where it is legal to discharge a firearm (perhaps out in the country) and you've told your neighbor to keep his dogs off your property, then yes, it is legal. So far as I know.
-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
scribbled this interesting note:

Here, it's sort of that way. Sort of. It depends on whether the dead dog is actually found. In my neighborhood, things are too close together to use a firearm, so we call animal control until they can't stand the nagging any more. They come over, do nothing, and then we call them some more. Finally, we go to a judge, who reminds the animal control idiot that the law requires him to remove the dog from the owner after 3 complaints.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.