Theft deterrent for garden shed

Page 1 of 5
Greetings all:
Last April, someone went and broke into my garden shed, runningaway with a few choice items. We added a second lock to the door after that episode, thought that putting it high on the door would make it more difficult to pry off.
WRONG!
The SOBs were back on the weekend, or at least someone was. On the way out Sunday morning we discovered that some cretin had ripped off the parts of the door that the locks were attached to in order to get a peek into our shed. Fortunately they didn't happen to see anything that they liked that much, nothing seems to be missing (having taken the more valuable bits last year). Most valuable thing in there these days is probably the electric lawn mower, and not much of a market for those this time of year, at least not in Atlantic Canada.
Question is, what the heck can we DO? The police recommended that when we put the locks back on, we install them with bolts that go right through the door to make them more difficult to rip off. While that might make it more difficult, I think that bolting the locks on will probably result in someone just plain removing the door next time.
The shed is out in the open, in plain view from the street; a rather bold move to walk right through my front yard and break in, even at night. Security lights might help, but there's already a bus stop and a street light right there. There just doesn't seem to be a deterrent.
Does anyone have any advice? I'm highly tempted to booby trap it somehow, have something rigged up to spray the buggers with a combination of skunk scent and glitter when they try to break in. Of course that would be violating the rights of some poor innocent criminal, and I'd probably find myself in hot water over that.
*grr*
KD

Here in America we just shoot the bastards and be done with it.

methinks Canada is in N America also.

And spend the next 5-10 thinking about whethter that was smart, from everything I've been told.
Bob
If you have power out there add a motion light. If thats not good enough hook a radio up to it.

Lots of good suggestions here, thanks folks.
Anyone have experience with solar or battery powered motion lights? The shed is close to the house, but doesn't have electricity in it.
BTW, the door hinges are on the outside.
I know that determined thieves will get in no matter what really, I'm just trying to make this shed less attractive.
I'm still liking the skunk oil and glitter idea though...have YOU ever tried to remove glitter? :) Not to say that a young person is necessarily responsible for this headache, but do you think that your kid could come up with a satisfactory response were he or she to come home covered with glitter and smelling of skunk? *hee hee*
KD

How about a very loud battery operated alarm horn?
The skunk oil is good but you will have to clean up around your shed also.
See if you can do something to the hinge pins to make it more difficult to remove them also.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

The drill rod idea is one good way. Another way is to just buy security hinges that already have a pin included that prevents the leaves from separating. One good thing about outward opening doors is they are hard to 'kick in'.
Harry K
wrote in message

I suppose he could have a metal door custom made, but it would probably cost more than the entire shed. :-)

Maybe include a sign on the door saying "We Don't Dial 911. Can you outrun a bullet?"
Hmmm. That might be more effective if I lived in Miami rather than Canada. :)

Well, I understand that your gun laws are a bit insane at the moment, but how does a thief know that you're not even more insane than the laws themselves? :-)

Thay've got a gun in the house? Now that's worth something!
Bob

Yeah....that's possible, I guess.
Bob wrote:

Particularly in the hands of the homeowner. I don't call 911 either... until it's over.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

My neighbor has had a number of conversations with police and others because of recent problems. It seems as though you will be in significant risk of arrest if you shoot someone who is not threatening you with severe bodily harm. Shooting someone breaking into a shed is not likely to meet this qualification.
There are plenty of "rambo" types out there who talk rashly about shooting people for minor crimes. How many are now cooling their heels in prison?
Bob

Correct. Unless physically threatened, you can't shoot someone unless they're in your dwelling. At least that's the law in the lower 48. But, since law is based on the old "castle doctrine", from English law, your rules are probably the same. I suppose that even if you had videotape showing an intruder coming after you in your kitchen, with 3 knives, a shotgun, a flame thrower and poison darts, you could still end up with a jury who'd say you were naughty for shooting him, but hopefully not.
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:38:03 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

I'm not a legal expert in this area, and I've never had to test the theory, but it is my understanding that in Texas, at night, you may use deadly force to protect life and property. That may be your life or the lives of you family members or the lives of your neighbors. The property is a bit different, and I think it must be yours or you must have specific responsibility for the protection of someone else's property.
Personally, I hope never to have to test this scenario.
-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
scribbled this interesting note:

I hope not, either. I'd be hard pressed to justify shooting someone because they were vandalizing my car. But in the house, anything goes. The paperwork though....can you imagine?
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:26:32 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

There was a kid a few years ago who got lost looking for a Halloween party. He rang a doorbell to ask for directions, and got shot. The people who killed him didn't even get arrested, if I remember correctly.