The year we lose our TV signals

Page 10 of 15
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 23:46:11 -0600, Robert

    Check around with your neighbors and local electronics stores. Find out what kind an antenna you need. You may end up with 10 good channels if you look to fix the problem rather then just complain about it.

Get a dish, you idiot.

What if he doesn't want to spend the money on the dish? I thought his point was he was going to lose local news?

poor baby. Move out of the sticks, get a dish, buy a radio, or learn how to read a newspaper.

Better yet stay in the stick and subscribe to some free rss feeds and blogs and keep living the lifestyle you want.
I think the OP is just a complainer. He even admitted he doesn't like what's on "free" tv anyways....
Robert wrote:

<Drivel snipped>
Quit your whining until a few months *after* the transition when most stations will be transmitting their digital signals on their final channel assignments and at their final power levels. Many are currently transmitting digital on temporary channels, at low power from temporary transmitters, from temporary antennas and in some cases from alternate tower sites.

Well lets see:(
if you had perfect analog reception you will probably get good digital reception
if you got ghosty, noisey or marginal analog reception you will likely not get usable digital reception as reported by lots of friends and internet postings
Most stations are on their final channel assignment, and final power level. nearly all stations moved from VHF to UHF slots. VHF propagates much better than UHF and UHF channels were traditionally muich higher power than VHF. Trouble is the new digital UHF channels are lower power than the VHF ones they replaced, done to cram more stations in a smaller space.
The new digital channels arent going to expand number of channels for free. They can have one flawless high def channel or up to 5 mixed definition channels. perhaps 2 low def and one better def advertised as high def. but not true high def.
performance of converter boxes isnt necessarily worse than a brand new digital tv, but isnt necessarily better either.
where airplane flutter left a ghost on a analog channel on digital it mght be a bunch of blocks, or a blank screen at intermittent times.
down in the carolinas they turned off analog early and found viewership declined 20%. these people couldnt get service for one reason nor another.
cable isnt everywhere and there are definetely places that cant get satellite service, because of trees or other obstructions.
sadly people who have cable, or satellite dont appear very sympathetic for those who are losing tv.
local stations have big plans for digital once the conversion is complete
they are planning of getting together as a group, and offering pay programming with the second generation of digital conversion boxes.
All thery must offer FREE is a single regular definition channel.............
So they have perhaps 4 spare channels per station.
In a area with say 10 stations they could offer a pay cable like service of 40 channels for profit.by subscription.
theres no requirement they offer high definition at all!
if your unhappy with any of this call your federal representives, congress and senate since they are the ones who passed this #@!$%^% idea.
I have satellite but sent for my coupons, if a satellite outage occurs I still want to be able to watrch TV

Trees can be trimmed. it takes a very narrow path to get the dish to work. If it's something other than a tree, then mount the dish on it.

you may live in a flat desert like area.
things vary upon location.
here in hilly pittsburgh the hills make regular TV difficult, hills cause reflections on analog tv thats ghosts, on digital tvs that can be a blank screen/
I have satellite but nearly didnt because of neighbors trees. they were very large till a storm came thru some years ago. heck a neighbors larger home may block the clear view for satellite. Incidently I was a installer for awhile. the newer multi slot dshes just make things worse, and trees can blow in the wind:(
doi tell if I were your neighbor would you mind me trimming your trees or offer to mount my dish on your home?:(
people who have satellite or cable arent very sympathetic.
One time I HAD to run a saTELLITE LINE A 150 feet to clear a grove of trees for a elderly couiple, cable was willing to service them if they paid 2 grand to extend the cable line
first of all, i'd never have a house that close to me. IF i did by some brain lapse, i'd merely make an agreement with the neighbor to mount it on his house on the other side or whatever needed to be done.
doi tell if I were your neighbor would you mind me trimming your trees or offer to mount my dish on your home?:(
Steve Barker wrote:

neighbor mount a dish on my house, nor would I presume to ask if I could mount one on his. The contractual situation with Dish aside (they take a very dim view of the hardware extending beyond the property line, even if you swear you aren't sharing signal), the insurance liability and potential resale problems make the idea a non-starter.
Either that, or your neighbors are a whole lot more accommodating than the ones around here.
-- aem sends...

no reason you can't mount the dish on a pad on the ground where you have a clear line of sight.Bury the coax in a shallow trench. Or just pound a post into the ground;that is what some of the tenants in my apt.complex do,because they aren't allowed to attach directly to the building,just on their patios.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Seems that some people will look for ways to accomplish something while others will always find yet another excuse for not accomplishing it.
BobR wrote:

regular basis due to the trees, I will reposition the dish and run new cables, from a less-blocked location. And I'll do it in a way that won't get Dish to cancel my service, or bother the neighbors.
-- aem sends...

Your neighbors might be a little annoyed though when you trim their trees.

.
Speak for yourself. I'd be overjoyed if my neighbors trimmed some of my trees - less work for me :) nate
Steve Barker wrote:

I think my neighbor, who owns the tree, might have a problem with that.....
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

Then your solution is a mast/tower to mount your dish higher to clear the tree.
Honestly, I've not seen any single family residential situation where a dish could not be sited with some creativity.

obviously you live in a flat area. my street is a big U shape, half of which has no satellite view, being obstructed by a large hill
besides a dish on a high tower needs a very sturdy tower. the dish acts like a airfoil, err wing