The year we lose our TV signals

Page 9 of 15

And a lot of this built up over time. We have had an abysmal savings rate for most of the last half of the 20th Century, much of this and the last three financial fiascos can be placed at the foot on Congress playing with tax laws (The actual salary of most honchoes, if you look at the SEC filings runs around $1million or so because that is what the Congress said can be deducted. The rest of it (sometimes as much as 100 times the base salary) comes from bonuses and stock options which were encouraged by Congress and tax laws. This was done so that the honchoes' needs would be more in tune with the needs of the stockholders. Of course, this resulted in a bunch of things occurring. Not the least of which is honchoe's total compensation running a few orders of magnitude above what even the most captive board would have had hte balls to give them under the old system. Also it effectively DIVORCED the priorities of the honchoes from the shareholders by tying such a high portion of their income to the stock price. In addition, for those so inclined, gave the exec's cover to try all of the Rocket Science bookkeeping, credit swaps, etc., because it could be rationalized as raising profits and thus stock prices and thus in the best interests of the stockholders. Wasn't surprising all the crap that went down, it was almost mandated by human nature and the tax laws. What was surprising is that it wasn't more widespread than it was. Then you've got the individual overleveraged not just in the mortgages but credit cards, home equity, car loans, etc. There was more than enough greed to go around.

Until recently it was a REPUBLICAN Congress.
Interesting how you overlooked that.
TMT
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

The House has been Democratic for the last two years, the Senate for the last four.

Do you know what the interest rates and tax rates in '29 were? Both were high and prevented an early rebound in the market, people languished. Some jumped from tall buildings.
With low rates today, the economy will rebound faster.

Writing history, already?!

You are wasting your time. People would prefer to be told rosy lies about change and how everyone will be saved by some miracle.
wrote

I don't know, but they did have a problem with a bunch of illegally erased e-mails. They won't be there.

Or to post to newsgroups.
Cheri
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

There have been successes. Tens of thousands of dead terrorists, concealed handgun carry in national parks, 72 straight quarters of economic growth, three tax cuts, two swell Supreme Court appointments, up-armored Humvees...

And 3 times as many newly created terrorists. Concealed handguns in parks - now that's insanity. Straight economic growth - RIIIIIGHT - We can sure see that today. Up armored humvees - only after the soldiers got it into the news that they were digging through dumps to armor their own. Quite a record!!

In respect to the concealed handguns in parks, the bear gangs are now under control.
TMT
Bob F wrote:

As to more terrorists - you may be right. One great worthy once said "The penis is mighter than the sword," by which he meant your enemy can reproduce faster than you can kill them. Still, maybe we're just giving otherwise unemployed terrorists something to do - they were always there, just bored.
Still, the goal is not to eliminate terror, it's to kill terrorists.
Concealed handguns an insanity? The conflict is between those who are afraid of criminals vs. those who are afraid of guns. For the anti's, it's an emotional issue. For the pro-gun side, it's just common sense ("is your fire extinguisher LOADED?"). There are 48 states that have some sort of concealed handgun license (Illinois, Wisconsin, and D.C. are the outliers). At no time has ANY state, once it liberalized its concealed carry laws, reverted to a more strict policy. Concealed handguns WORK - we are killing goblins right and left.
Further, Barak Obama (PBUH) has often stated that gun laws should follow the customs of the local community. How better than to have the gun laws of the state in which a National Park is located govern? Taking Him (PBUH) at his word, I fully expect federal regulations prohibiting guns in federal institutions (post offices, Veteran's hospitals, Social Security offices, etc.), to fall to the same common-sense approach.
As for seeing the economic growth today, well, 72 consecutive months of economic growth ain't nuthin' to sneeze at. Then the Democrats took control of Congress. In a mere 18 months, they managed to fuck it up beyond the abilities of mere mortals to comprehend.
HeyBub wrote:

You keep repeating that but since you and Rush Limbaw only seem to know what they did why not spill the beans and make them look really bad? How about the real dirt on what they did in those 18 months?
George wrote:

What difference does it make whether or what they did? They were in charge, therefore they get the blame.
Inasmuch as the economy's in the ditch, it's obvious they DIDN'T do anything (enough?) to mitigate the disaster.
Frankly, I'm at a loss. Used to be, Republican scandals were concentrated above the neck and Democrat scandals were centered below the belt. Now, what with Larry Craig tap-dancing in the men's room and Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, Rod Blago, and others fiddling with the money and power, it seems as if the emphasis has shifted.
HeyBub wrote:

You are at a loss because everything Rush Limbaw told you just doesn't seem to be working out. The reality is both red and blue work together to protect their owners as has been demonstrated. Critically analyze what limbaw tells you instead of just being a "believer" and prove me wrong.

Rush Limbaw (Limbaugh) is a nobody. Why do people even refer to this guy? He has never been a politician. All he is, is a fat slob with an addiction to codeine and probably other drugs, and a mouth and ego bigger than his fat belly. So, who cares what he says? I sure don't.

He's not fat anymore. Good drugs.
Cheri
I called my congressional rep today and complained.
We have satellite tv BUT if the economy gets worse that may have to be dropped.
We would need over the air and I found out theres no way to even get ABC, their low power transmitter site must be 50 miles away far from the center of the service area. Its even on the other side of town.......
Call your congressmen and congresswomen.
The turn off can be delayed a few years so technical issues and service can be improved
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 16:11:49 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Not gonna happen (delay). Consider instead prodding your congressperson for open white space wireless broadband - which was part of the deal as our consolation prize.

I didn't burn my Selective Service Draft Card, just so he or anyone else can speak as they wish.
Must be a reason he makes your skin crawl?!
enigma wrote:

..Crawford, Texas (AP) -- A tragic flood this morning destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush.
The flood began in the presidential bathroom where the books were kept. Both of his books have been lost.
A presidential spokesman said the president was devastated, as he had almost finished coloring the second one.
The White House tried to call FEMA but there was no answer.