The year we lose our TV signals

Page 6 of 15

JohnR66 wrote:

Andy writes
I think you are incorrect....
In my area, stations have been broadcasting digital signals together with the old analog signals for over a year.,
I have one of the free $40 digital converter boxes, so I can watch either the old analog signal or the new digital signal, as I choose....
The digital signals have a better picture quality, although I am using only an old standard definition color set.
Each analog channel, in addition to the analog signal has an additional three digital channels,.... so I get three times the number of channels without any detrimental effect.....
For instance, the old channel 12 analog is now 12.1 , 12.2 and 12.3 and separate programs are transmitted on each.
When the analog signals are ended, each channel will be able to broadcast FIVE digital standard definition channels, or 2 or 3 high definition channels (I forget which). The choice of programming is , of course, up to the station, but in all cases it will be the same or better, or more numerous....... a business decision.
So, with NO loss of quality, and with no change in the antenna, after February 17th , using my $40 decoder box (which the government paid for and I got it for free, as can anyone) I will have more channels, a better picture, and additional features, since the decoder boxes have "guide", "signal strength" and a bunch of other built-in features that the old analog system doesn't have...
The only requirement is that I plug in a cheap , free, converter box OR buy a new TV......
Don't worry about antennae ---- if you get a decent signal now, you will get a better signal in the future, since the digital processing is more efficient than the analog.
If you get a really bad signal now, you will still get a really bad signal, which might not be able to be processed........ But the customer really needed a fix for that anyway, and maybe a higher, or larger, or rotatable antenna will help....Maybe not.... but there won't be any change in their need.....
NONE of my above discussion applies to cable, or satellite signals. They do not change at all....
By the way, this stuff has been advertised and talked about for the last three years. Someone would have to be in a coma not to know about it. I got my first FREE digital TV converter box about a year or so ago.... THAT has been advertised for a year and a half, and they started accepting applications for the free coupon in january 2008.
If one googles " D T V converter box " they can learn all about it.
Andy in Eureka, Texas
PS I now have several converter boxes, which I have compared, and I like the RCA one very much. I do not like the Magnavox one very much.....

That leads to a point that nobody else has mentioned. When they pull the plug on the analog side, many stations will dramatically up their digital power. Broadcasting at reduced power on digital is mainly an economic move. A high power station can run a power bill just for the transmitter of $20k a month or more (that's about what Ch11/Atlanta ran when I moonlighted there in the 80s). Running high powered digital with not much audience just didn't make sense. Once the analog financial burden is gone and everyone is moved to digital, it makes sense to go full power.
A call to the stations that one is interested in will quickly elicit whether they're currently at reduced power or not.
John -- John De Armond See my website for my current email address http://www.neon-john.com http://www.johndearmond.com <-- best little blog on the net! Tellico Plains, Occupied TN What do you call a blonde's cranial cavity? Vacuum chamber?

nearly all stations nationwide are now at full power, and final channel location. there will only be minor moves.
theres a website to check channel avability. I am 8 miles from downtown pittsburgh it recommends a outdoor directional antenna with rotor.
currently rabbit easrs work for analog, or some alligator clip leads.........

Why incorrect? I understand about the clear picture and more channels. I have a convertor on my old TV since Spring and get the extra all the sub channels. My point was people who live in the country 40 plus miles from the city may have an issue picking up some of the channels without investing in a high performance antenna system.

Really? Are you sure we'll lose him? I would imagine that we'll see and hear about him every single day for many years to come.
Cheri

Posts like this would have more credibility and make a better point if they told us where they live, what city's stations they are trying to receive in digital, what kind of antenna, where's it's mounted, what kind of converter box, etc. That way, we could learn and possibly make usefull suggestions on what they could do and they may find other folks here with similar situations that have solved it. The fact that they don't suggests they are more interested in whining than solving.
No question there are a small minority that are going to be negatively impacted. It's just like the govt putting a new highway near your home. You get the noise, pollution, etc that comes with that too. On the flip side, there are many people that have reported here that they now have perfect reception with DTV, while with NTSC they had a marginal pic on some stations.
In article

<raises hand> Although you need to replace "some stations" with "all stations" for complete accuracy in my case. :)
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn\'t on my whitelist,
or the subject of the message doesn\'t contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow"
Cheri wrote:

yep, it's going to take several years for the simpletons to figure out how bush is no longer president. but, they'll blame him anyhow.

bushes lack of judgement and common sense, will be creating troubles for our country for generations
the bush failure effects dont end when he leaves office:(
hallerb wrote:

so said the clinton haters...

Clinton happened to be a decent adminstrator, although morally bankrupt:(
Busdh is just a screw up. Do we need a list?
hallerb wrote:

morally bankrupt is going to be a judgment call based on evaluations where no standards exist.
for example while one group would consider there to be nothing repugnant about a certain activity a different group might find the same activity completely an abhorrent abomination.

no, I do not need a list because I do not need anyone other than myself to blame for my own issues and previously made decisions.

lying before congress and the voters? set aside cheating on spouse...... thats not uncommon

9-11 was an example of that. Along with a weakened military.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Oh balls. I'm sick of hearing this repeated over and over again, but Clinton's people tried to prep the Bush administration with what they knew about AQ and Bush's people didn't think it was a credible threat and didn't follow through. Now can you blame Bush for that? Maybe. Hard to say what other similar "intel" might have been coming in. Can you blame Clinton? Not hardly - he was trying.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Bush Derangement Syndrome.

they need a scapegoat. After all,they won't blame the DemocRAT-controlled Congress.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I love it when they ask the "Man on the Street" on Hannity who Obama's VP is, and they can't say, although they voted for Obama. Also don't know who Rev. Wright, Resko, Ayers, Dorn, Blogovich or any of the others are. It's going to start getting funny real soon when all of these people who voted the man in start getting their pink slips. Oh, I forgot. Obama has a plan to put millions to work and do all sorts of things. I guess we'll just print some more money. That oughta take care of it. Right?
Steve

I don't know. That's what the republicans did. Did it work for them?
Bob F wrote:

precisely.
if you were able to see the overall and total picture where the long term plan is revealed then you'd know just how well it did work.
on a journey of this nature certain events while appearing to contradict the apparent goal actually work to the advantage of those seeking to obtain the unapparent and actual desired outcome.
Get your coupons soon
http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090102/ap_on_hi_te/tec_digital_tv_transition
WASHINGTON - The Feb. 17 transition from analog to digital television broadcasts looms and as many as 8 million households are still unprepared, but the government program that subsidizes crucial TV converter boxes is about to run out of money.
People who still rely on analog TV sets to pick up over-the-air signals - whether it is through rabbit-ear aerials on TVs or antennas on the roof - will see their screens go dark when the changeover happens. To avoid that, those people have to switch to cable or satellite TV, buy a television set with a digital tuner or buy a converter box that can translate digital signals from the airwaves into analog.
To subsidize the converter boxes, most of which cost between $40 and $80, the government has been letting consumers request up to two $40 coupons per home. But any day now, the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), the arm of the Commerce Department in charge of administering the coupon program, expects to hit a $1.34 billion funding ceiling set by Congress.