The year we lose our TV signals

Page 4 of 15

I know a lot of people who don't understand the digital changeover. Despite all the ads saying that if you have cable or receive your TV signal from satellite, I know a lot of people who got the coupons and bought boxes that don't need them.
Add to that the number of people, as some have mentioned in this thread, are getting the coupons so they can sell them and make a couple of bucks. There goes two big reasons that the money for the coupons ran out.
YK

you can't sell/transfer them;the store checks your ID against that on the coupon(card),and it's also illegal.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

They never checked mine. I used the coupons for two and paid the balances at Target. That was it.

WalMart checked my ID. They had to scan the card thru their terminal,too. I still have one expired coupon,and CompUSA is now selling a converter for $40.01(what I was waiting for...); I'm thinking of trying to use it,see if it goes thru.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Of course. I know several people who are waiting to see what happens in Feb. and if they get enough stations they may just cancel their cable, because cable rates are quite high.
You could count me in that group... nate

re: "I know a lot of people who don't understand the digital changeover."
Just this morning I was in a TWC Service Center picking up a new HD- DVR box. Here's the conversation I overheard at the window next to mine:
Customer: "How is it that I can keep using my old TV? I thought all TV signals were HD now."
TWC Rep: "You must be confused about the changes coming in February. After February all TV signals will be HD and people won't be able to use their antenna's anymore."
Unfortunately, I was in the middle on my transaction and by the time I was done, the other customer was gone and the rep was working with someone else. I would have liked to have corrected both of her mis- statements but didn't get the chance.

In a word:
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!
This whole switchover thing has been hammered on so loud, for so long, by so many, that unless they've been in a coma, in a cell tucked into the back of the deepest cave available, under a pile of rocks, there's no legitimate way for ANYONE to claim that they weren't warned in time to prepare.
I can hardly be called "cutting edge" when it comes to TV - I DON'T EVEN OWN AN ACTUAL TV SET! Haven't since something like 2001 when the last set I had literally went up in smoke due to a lightning strike. Yet I'm not going to be hit by the switchover. Why not? 'Cause I got my converter box to plug into the 15 year old VCR that's plugged into the 16 year old computer that substitutes for a TV back in August. Took about 2 minutes to fill out the form on the website. Took about 5 minutes to wire the box into the mix once I got it home from the store. Major hassle, huh?
So as far as I'm concerned, the basic concept involved for anyone and everyone who isn't ready for it by now is this: You were warned. You should have got off your lazy ass and dealt with it months ago. If you didn't, and now you're not going to get your coupon in time (or maybe not at all), suck it up, 'cause it's your own fault.
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn\'t on my whitelist,
or the subject of the message doesn\'t contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow"
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 02:43:04 -0800, Don Bruder wrote:

Who are you addressing? I don't recall anyone in this thread complaining about not know how to get or hook up a converter box.

not only that, but in my area the ABC channel isnt available without spending hundreds of bucks on a roof top antenna with rotor, and even the one person who did, and spent over 500 bucks with rotor only gets WTAE occasionally.
I spoke to the station they moved the transmitter site futher from pittsburgh and the digitals permanent power is far less than the analog channel 4 one.
this really sucks and I helped campaign for my cngressen jason alltmire I called his office and said I want a call back on this issue.
will call bob casey today and waste more time calling the out of touch arlen spectre:(
His only issue recently was cheating in football, he went nuts over that.....
if everyone called their reps this dumb move would be put off indefinetely.
do tell whats the reuse plan for these frequencise? wireless free broadband? or emergency services?
iby now have the channels been auctioned off? I mean if you sell your home does it normally sit vacant for years?
the providers of whatever is replacing tv should be building their transmitter sites now, ready to activate shortly.
yet no word on that
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Not quite, your home is sold but you will still occupy it with all of your stuff until Feb,09.

Not Don- but since I "'Amen'd" him earlier. . . .
It seems to me that in this thread and on the news there seems to be a whole lot of handwringing over folks who might "lose the ability to watch TV". [arguably not a terrible thing especially if you're restricted to broadcast TV]
I'm with Don- that if you are about to lose your TV [in February] it is your own fault. The annoying reminders are on my TV a dozen times a day and have been for several months. The fixes are simple-- and even if you still lose your TV in Feb. - you can probably pick up a $20 TV at a thrift shop to restore your 'fix'. Or- God forbid- pay $40 for a converter box. [which will probably go down to $20 when the gov't subsidy runs out.]
Jim

doesnt help if the channels signals are too weak:(
And at least WTAE who was never known for good signals around here moved the digital transmitter site far south of pittsburgh and has the least output power of any station.
they dont appear to care.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

According to the FCC database both WTAE transmitters (channel 4 analog and 51 DT )are here at the same location:
CDBS Application ID No.: 203659
40° 16' 49.00" N Latitude 79° 48' 11.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)
What will likely happen when analog is turned off is that the DT will get changes in some or all of antenna/ERP/frequency

hat fascinates me even the station employee said analog transmitter is by parkway, digital transmitter in elizabeth pa where it will remain at same power.
she remarked lots of people are calling sorry theres nothing we can do have you considered cable:(

I know of one TV station around here that plans to go back to the old channel after the transition.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Well I called my congressmans office, the lady called me back after not listening to my original question.
HAVE THE FREQUENCIES BEEN AUCTIONED OFF? AND IF SO FOR WHAT?
My point is why turn off channels TODAY, if reuse of channel space wouldnt be for years.
Congressmans rep is a class A jerk.
I said when people cant see their channels they will hate the government and be unable to watch re election commercials.
she said everyone hates us anyway.
the rep needs to find a new job! obviously her office pays lip service to those who call in, they dont care
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 07:53:33 -0500, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

That's a straw man response. The complaints were by posters (including me) who DO HAVE a converter box (and/or HDTV set) and are unable to get some/most of the stations we receive now. How is that our fault?
That said, it is what I expected so I was "prepared". The one thing that is seriously irritating is that of the four fringe analog stations I get now, the only one that comes through in digital is the FOX station.

*ONLY* a dozen times *A DAY*?!?!?
Yeesh, Jim, you must be in a deprived area - Here in the so-called "Seattle metro broadcast area", you can hardly switch on the tube without seeing a "DTV is coming, are you ready?" type thing - Whether as a full-grown 30-90 second PSA that's purely "The switch is coming", without any other specific advertising, an outright cable/Dish/DirecTV commercial yelling about how they'll make it so you don't need to worry about it, a logo in the corner of whatever is playing at the moment (usually animated and annoying), a constantly repeated message on the crawl during newscasts, or a stand-alone "news piece" reporting how "There's only X days left before the switch to digital". And that's only on the channels I actually watch.
If it's being flogged less than a dozen times *AN HOUR* here, I'll eat my hat, without salt or ketchup.
I also want to know what rocket-surgeon came up with the idea of having the "Are you ready?" spots showing up on... (wait for it...) THE DIGITAL-ONLY SUB-CHANNELS!
Does it not follow that if I didn't already have the needed gear, *I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO SEE THE MESSAGE THAT TELLS ME I NEED TO GET THE GEAR?*
HELLO! Common sense department! We need a delivery to the "Are You Ready?" office, ASAP!
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn\'t on my whitelist,
or the subject of the message doesn\'t contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow"
Just in case you missed it the first time-
-snip-

Amen- buy a book.
Jim

Better yet, get a library card!