The year we lose our TV signals

Well, if someone can't get one whose fault is that. It has been promoted endlessly for at least 6 months.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

so said the clinton haters...

Reply to
Jim

and hear

Clinton happened to be a decent adminstrator, although morally bankrupt:(

Busdh is just a screw up. Do we need a list?

Reply to
hallerb

On Jan 2, 7:59 am, ransley wrote: ...

I've seen no ratings that actually had anything to do with fringe reception issues such as sensitivity, S/N ratios, etc., etc., etc., ... All the ratings dealt with that I've seen were "ease of use" issues and some minor quality variations given an input signal. I looked and the ratings were worthless the standpoint of trying to determine which (if any) might be more satisfactory for those in areas where reception might be an issue.

So far, there's nobody here broadcasting digital in sufficient strength to get any reception whatsoever.

I've also been unable to ascertain from the broadcasters what their plans are for the translators we're currently using as for signal strength, conversion date(s), etc., ...

Reply to
dpb

Well, yeah, at least around here. The local fox station (no cable required to receive) carries the episodes about 2 weeks behind first broadcast on Comedy Central.

Reply to
tmclone

"Robert" wrote

Robert, wait and see if that's still true on the day. Many stations have not swapped at all so the ones you are 'missing' are still pumping analog at full gain. Come the swapover, they start pumping full gain at digital. For now, most digital arent at full power. Thats what the local news here says. Mom's getting the same in the papers in her semi-rural area.

Reply to
cshenk

and hear

morally bankrupt is going to be a judgment call based on evaluations where no standards exist.

for example while one group would consider there to be nothing repugnant about a certain activity a different group might find the same activity completely an abhorrent abomination.

no, I do not need a list because I do not need anyone other than myself to blame for my own issues and previously made decisions.

Reply to
Jim

The 35mm format with a ratio of 3:4 worked just fine for 100 years plus. Yes, movies moved on but TV retained it. Why change?

If people want to buy a wide screen TV (or computer monitor), well and good; I have no problem with that. What I *do* have a problem with is the manufacturers selling them by the same old diagonal measurement...people buy, say, a 32" widescreen to replace their old 27" and they think they are going to get a bigger picture. They aren't. To get an image even the same size they would have to buy one (in this example) almost 34".

Reply to
dadiOH

How was that loss defined and measured? Was it that 20% of the local stations total audience disappeared as measured by Nielson or similar? Or was it that 20% of the those receiving over-the-air no longer received via OTA? They are two very different things, because if it's the latter, many of those 20% could have switched to cable or sat and still be watching. Also, the timeframe is obviously important. If the measurement was taken only days after the cutover, a lot of the 20% could still be coming back, but they just need some time to get a converter, antenna, etc.

Reply to
trader4

Although you need to replace "some stations" with "all stations" for complete accuracy in my case. :)

Reply to
Don Bruder

I don't have a problem with new technology, but I do have a problem with having it forced on me, such as DVD's vs VHS tapes. I much prefer the VHS format, but you can't rent movies that way anymore, so if you want to rent a movie you have to have a DVD player. No sooner do you get that, then Blu-Ray starts, and on and on. At least the VCR's were viable for many years, now every time you turn around, something becomes so obsolete that it's no longer viable even while it's still in good working order. This all happens in a very short time these days.

I was just fine with Win98 for instance, but nothing supports it anymore, so had to upgrade to Vista, which is OK, but certainly not better IMO.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Have you tried contacting the broadcaster about your problems? They may be interested, or may have specific suggestions.

Reply to
Bob F

Just relating how the coupon thing works ... which I didn't know until recently. If one is to believe

a coupon ordered today should be mailed on the 19th of this month. But apparently that's in doubt.

Reply to
Ann

see and hear

lying before congress and the voters? set aside cheating on spouse...... thats not uncommon

Reply to
hallerb

Your neighbors might be a little annoyed though when you trim their trees.

Reply to
Bob F

You have a choice, you can keep watching your VHS tapes as long as they last. Nobody is forcing you to watch anything. Hell I still have a Beta player and a bunch of Beta tapes that I watch. When I bought the CD player it was my choice, nobody forced me to buy it. I may someday buy the BlueRay or not, again my choice. As for the change over to digital TV, again it is my choice to either watch TV or not and if I choose to watch, I got my converters for free.

Oh yes, you could have gone with LINUX instead.

Reply to
BobR

Odd, all of my local OTA stations are now broadcasting at least one of their digital channels in HD. It's nice to watch PBS in HD especially when they have a nature or travel program. Most of them have one or two sub-channels as well which you just can't get without digital. So far, I'm liking it, and I expect after Feb. I'll like it even more as there are a couple "marginal" stations that I can almost get that I am hoping will increase their power. If not, I guess I'll just have to throw up an outdoor antenna. Might even cancel my cable at that point.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I can look again, but a review I read went into reception and how well they fared at being able to get signals when some boxes would not get them. I think it was a retailer selling several brands. What box are you referring to because I need 2 soon. Besides the best box I plan on getting a new large antenna.

Reply to
ransley

For some, that will be true. e.g. those inthe frings areas. ALL the adds talk about how great it will be, but NONE of them yet have mentioned, that I see anyway, anything about fringe areas needing to add better antennas and possibly amplifiers.

Another who gets only PBS on DTV.

Reply to
Twayne

Here's a tip though: The new copy protection in the brodcast signals is NOT detected by the old VCRs, and they WILL copy those "protected" movies. I just got thru testing an old one this week; an RCA model. So at least those will still let you record a show while you're away from home, which you can't do with a lot of them and the new recorders.

Reply to
Twayne