The year we lose our TV signals

Page 3 of 15
as to the DVD player, I recently saw a blue ray one for 99 bucks.
now DVDs are cheaper to make than videotapes, for new movies etc
so buying a cheap DVD player or DVD VCR combo might be a good move.
or take a DVD and copy to videotape. it breaks copyright rules but videotapes arent nearly as good picture quality as a DVD
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:32:19 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

<lol>
How MANY tapes would that take to accomplish?

I do have two DVD VCR combos, but the regular old VCR was just fine, until they stopped releasing new movies in the VHS format. The DVD's don't wear well at all, and I can't tell you how many times I've had to return them to the video store because they're skipping, scratched etc. Once in a great while you would get a VHS that didn't sound good or something, but not often, with DVD's it's a crap shoot. I also hate that you can't FF through a lot of that crap on a DVD, and on some, you can't even FF through the previews.
Cheri

I forget what it was called, but I seem to remember a program that copies DVDs without the crap.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid (Robert) says...

My local police and fire dispatch are pretty happy that they will be able to use a dedicated frequency for voice and data communication. right now they have to share bandwidth with microwave ovens and cordless phones. The range is limited and there is a boatload of interference.
The old analog TV was a bandwidth waster for sure. It's about time they shut it down.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Larry Caldwell wrote:

It's a bitch when emergency responders have a bad string.

Good riddance to it.

I think there's one station around here that won't be affected (it's low power), but the programming is REALLY crappy.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Good point. Low power stations are not required to shift to digital broadcast.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 07:50:31 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Buying a digital TV should make no difference with the reception part of it. A 42" flat screen won't get any more stations, although retailers would like us to believe that they do.

Already, it may be too late to get a coupon in time. Rather than being open ended, the funding is for a specific dollar amount. When all the money is out there in the form of redeemable coupons, new applicants have to wait for coupons to expire, unredeemed.

Well, if someone can't get one whose fault is that. It has been promoted endlessly for at least 6 months.
Harry K
On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 09:36:48 -0800, Harry K wrote:

Just relating how the coupon thing works ... which I didn't know until recently. If one is to believe www.dtv2009.gov a coupon ordered today should be mailed on the 19th of this month. But apparently that's in doubt.
On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 15:25:39 -0500, Ann wrote:
<...>

https://www.dtv2009.gov/WaitingList.aspx
"The TV Converter Box Coupon Program has reached its funding ceiling. However, coupon requests from eligible households will be filled on a first-come-first-served basis as funds become available from expiring coupons. You will not receive coupons until funds becomes available. If you would like to apply for a coupon today and are eligible, you will be placed on a waiting list. ...
Consumers who have an analog TV and rely on a rooftop antenna or rabbit ears to receive their programs are encouraged to take action to ensure at least one TV in their home is prepared for the digital television transition. You may:
* Purchase a TV converter box without a coupon; * Buy a TV with a digital tuner, or; * Subscribe to cable, satellite or another pay service."

In this case, it looks like some people WILL lose their tv signals in February. This whole thing has been a joke. I got my coupons early in the program. For the first two months no stores even had the converters. I finally had to take a 1.5 hour drive (each way) to get a converter about 2 days before the coupon expired. Now the stores are loaded with the converters, and the coupons ran out. Leave it to the government to screw things up.
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 03:24:56 -0600, Jimw wrote:

They apparently underestimated how many cable/satellite households also have a set(s) used for OTA reception. And, when the economy tanked, more than the expected number of OTA households may have decided they really didn't need to spend money on an HDTV right now.
[snip]

No HDTV is necessary to get the digital broadcasts. Any new TV (even a small one) has a ATSC (digital) tuner. Also, you probably don't need a new antenna (for HDTV or not).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 14:20:08 -0600, Mark Lloyd wrote:

My comment related to the number of coupons for converter boxes it was (under) estimated would be requested.

Its a typical government project, Obama has called to delay shutoff:)
Meanwhile congress office reports analog bandwidth has NOT been auctioned off yet.no final decision on what services it would be used for either
Reuse for any service will take YEARS.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

This is all public information. 698-806 MHz was divided into 5 blocks (A-E). The largest block (Block C, 22 MHZ) was purchased by Verizon Wireless.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/default.htm?job=auction_summary&ids

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 13:57:25 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I just saw that. At most, it would only be a temporary postponement to get coupons funded and to people who have applied for them.

Auctions have been ongoing. Last March #73, for 700 MHz closed, grossing $19.1 Billion http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/default.htm?job=auction_summary&ids