The year we lose our TV signals

Dan Rather gained fame covering the JFK assassination, (walked a few blocks to file a report) not some trivial riot in Texas that made him famous. He is a Texan.

Reply to
Oren

Or cheap.

When you are on borrowed money, you get to pay the interest along with the principal.

The United States is screwed for a long time.

Thanks George.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Hmm. There has been only one race riot in Texas in modern times - at Texas Southern University (1967). JFK was assassinated in 1963. Rather joined CBS in 1962.

No, Rather's initial fame took place when he was virtually the only reporter on the scene to cover Hurricane Carla in 1961.

Reply to
HeyBub

You are at a loss because everything Rush Limbaw told you just doesn't seem to be working out. The reality is both red and blue work together to protect their owners as has been demonstrated. Critically analyze what limbaw tells you instead of just being a "believer" and prove me wrong.

Reply to
George

The US intelligence provided to the inspectors did not lead to any finds. The inspectors wanted to continue the inspections. Delaying for inspections was tolerated only because of public and world opinion. The decision to invade had already been made (confirmed by British intelligence).

O'Neil and Clarke have said the decision to get rid of Sadam was effectively made shortly after 9-11. It was about projecting American influence (a neocon theme) and establishing a democratic country in the mideast (another neocon theme). (Shortly after, the democratic election in Gaza went to Hamas.) The Iraq war is the best thing that ever happened for Al Qaeda.

WMDs were the sales campaign to convince the public. It was at least the

3rd sales campaign - at least 2 failed.

The neocons that ran the DOD, the war, and the aftermath were ignorant about what would happen. The State department, which had only 1 high ranking neocon, had much different views on going to war and "nation building". But their extensive advice was ignored. Ironically, State was headed by an intelligent military person. (Watch the movie "No End in Sight" which interviews many major US players on the postwar.)

History. I believe one source is one of the "Frontlines".

The Niger story indicated *current* attempts at WMDs. US intelligence didn't believe the Niger story (except probably the DOD neocons).

It was removed from a Bush speech at the request of US intelligence.

It was later missed in the famous Bush state of the nation and subsequently retracted. The Bush speech cited intelligence from the UK - why? Writers didn't know about US intelligence? Maybe because the reference was technically correct - UK intelligence then believed the Niger story? (And Bill Clinton was technically correct when he said "I did not have sex with that woman" - according to definitions from a judge in a deposition just before.)

Congress is guilty of being stampeded into a war by administration propaganda. They made the mistake of trusting the Bush administration. Very few read the classified intelligence report that was available (maybe 5?).

The Iraq war removed intelligence and other "resources" from Afghanistan, where the real threat was. The predictable results of that diversion are now obvious.

I remember a couple of direct questions reported on the news, which few saw. But Bush speeches helped create the lie.

It has been debunked numerous times. Why do so many Americans still believe this?

Do you think maybe because of Bush (and other) speeches like:

9-11 9-11 9-11 Sadam 9-11 9-11

(Second last post.)

Reply to
bud--

And a liar.

Reply to
SteveB

NO WMDs were ever found. Just thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of bodies. When does hundreds of thousands of bodies cross the threshold into the classification of "mass" destruction? Does thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of bodies qualify as minor destruction. Some other adjective, perhaps?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Per aemeijers:

By my reckoning, we've already had between 1:6 and 1:7 since the early sixties.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

unknown wrote this;

Steve wrote;

actually,over 500 chemical weapons have been found in Iraq. It's a big place.

And it's believed much WMD materiel was shipped to Syria.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

shall we go attack and kill any leader who muders their citizens? If so theres china, n korea, venezuela, and many other countries to take over.......

you volunteering to send you and your kids?

the trouble is the world looks at our country as the neighborhood bully, you think thats good?

know in advance we are goingn to see a lot of terrorism here...........

and perhaps for good reason

we shouldnt try to rule the world, heck currentl;y our country isnt running well...

Reply to
hallerb

The planes from the Air Force (not killed immediately) were found covered with sand. It takes awhile to find all that stuff.

Reply to
Oren

I can be wrong, but apparently Rather was first to announce over the public air that JFK was dead. He ran to the local press office after the shooting. He claims the fame, I guess.

Reply to
Oren

-snip-

I think you are. Cronkite was the network guy-- and he announced it during an afternoon soap opera. I think Rather was still a local figure & they I doubt they could have broken in on a network program.

I think it is ironic that the same thing that made the last 8 years a nearly constant clusterf**k sullied the name of a guy who would have loved to see them outed in 2004-- hubris. Blather was/is an arrogant blowhard, but all in all he did a pretty good job until he got carried away by the Bush ANG story.

I think he did a better job reporting from the field in vietnam than most of his compatriots- at least his Vietnam looked the most like the one I spent a year in.

Jim [Talk about thread drift. . . That lousy Bush/ANG report had nothing to do with 60 minutes- and Rather has had little to do with it in his long career at CBS.]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

That was one of the earlier sales campaigns for the war. It didn't work.

The bodies didn't seem to bother the US when Saddam was our more-or-less ally not all that many years ago (probably Reagan era until Iraq invaded Kuwait). Cheney, as head of Halliburton, had no problem doing business with Saddam after Kuwait. Saddam has been a murdering thug from the start.

(And the decision to get rid of Saddam a little after 9-11 wasn't based on WMDs or the earlier rationale, bodies.)

Reply to
bud--

Rush Limbaw (Limbaugh) is a nobody. Why do people even refer to this guy? He has never been a politician. All he is, is a fat slob with an addiction to codeine and probably other drugs, and a mouth and ego bigger than his fat belly. So, who cares what he says? I sure don't.

Reply to
Jimw

He's not fat anymore. Good drugs.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

I called my congressional rep today and complained.

We have satellite tv BUT if the economy gets worse that may have to be dropped.

We would need over the air and I found out theres no way to even get ABC, their low power transmitter site must be 50 miles away far from the center of the service area. Its even on the other side of town.......

Call your congressmen and congresswomen.

The turn off can be delayed a few years so technical issues and service can be improved

Reply to
hallerb

I didn't burn my Selective Service Draft Card, just so he or anyone else can speak as they wish.

Must be a reason he makes your skin crawl?!

Reply to
Oren

Not gonna happen (delay). Consider instead prodding your congressperson for open white space wireless broadband - which was part of the deal as our consolation prize.

Reply to
Ann

"The TV Converter Box Coupon Program has reached its funding ceiling. However, coupon requests from eligible households will be filled on a first-come-first-served basis as funds become available from expiring coupons. You will not receive coupons until funds becomes available. If you would like to apply for a coupon today and are eligible, you will be placed on a waiting list. ...

Consumers who have an analog TV and rely on a rooftop antenna or rabbit ears to receive their programs are encouraged to take action to ensure at least one TV in their home is prepared for the digital television transition. You may:

  • Purchase a TV converter box without a coupon; * Buy a TV with a digital tuner, or; * Subscribe to cable, satellite or another pay service."
Reply to
Ann