The year we lose our TV signals

Page 11 of 15
Pete C. wrote:

Yeah, I know, I know. Dish was already up there when I bought the place, and I was doing ten things at once moving in, and didn't have the presence of mind to think about it at the time, to lean on the installer to put it elsewhere. I also didn't have an extension ladder yet, to take it down and make the guy run fresh cable, which I also should have done. If I was starting from scratch, I'd put it at other end of roof, or even visible from road on the front of the house down low. Much clearer shot there. It only goes flakey in high wind or heavy rain, mainly when leaves are on the trees. Higher really isn't an option- these are mature trees we are talking about, and it would take a REAL tower to get above them. Still trying to figure where to put a replacement OTA backup antenna, that won't be locked in a death match with my apple tree that was planted way too close to the addition, or the addition was placed way too close to. (not sure which came first...)
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

A "real" tower isn't a bad thing you know, you can put a wind generator on it was well as other goodies.
Pete C. wrote:

If this was 5-10 acres in the boonies where I planned to stay for 10-20 years, such projects would have a appeal. But this is an entry-level ranch on a 100x200 semi-rural subdivision lot, that I will need to be selling in 3-5 years, assuming I can make the retirement $ numbers work out. The place needs to look 'normal' for painless resale, and any permanent inprovements need to be within spitting distance of paying for themselves at sale time.
-- aem sends....

Why is that sad? If I have sympathy for you will you get better reception? I have cable because I can't get decent reception with an antenna here. Nor does broadcast TV have most of the stations I like to watch. TV's have been made digital capable for a couple of years now so some will not need a converter. As of March 1, 2007, all television receivers shipped in interstate commerce or imported into the United States must contain a digital tuner.
This may be of passing interest. Ware are not the first to change http://www.answers.com/topic/digital-television The first country to make a wholesale switch to Digital Over-the-Air (terrestrial) broadcasting was the Netherlands, in 2006. This was followed by Finland in 2007. [1] After February 17, 2009, full-power television stations in the USA will broadcast in digital only. In Canada, this is scheduled to happen Aug. 31, 2011. China is scheduled to switch in 2015.

Competition to the cable and sattelite companies? That may be a good thing.

Yes, there is even if it is not law. If they don't they will lose viewers.

None of it makes me unhappy. One of my TVs is HD and I like the improved quality.

local chaNNELS REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT HIGH DEF.
their main interest is making money, they will do whats most profitable for them

Odd, all of my local OTA stations are now broadcasting at least one of their digital channels in HD. It's nice to watch PBS in HD especially when they have a nature or travel program. Most of them have one or two sub-channels as well which you just can't get without digital. So far, I'm liking it, and I expect after Feb. I'll like it even more as there are a couple "marginal" stations that I can almost get that I am hoping will increase their power. If not, I guess I'll just have to throw up an outdoor antenna. Might even cancel my cable at that point.
nate

How was that loss defined and measured? Was it that 20% of the local stations total audience disappeared as measured by Nielson or similar? Or was it that 20% of the those receiving over-the-air no longer received via OTA? They are two very different things, because if it's the latter, many of those 20% could have switched to cable or sat and still be watching. Also, the timeframe is obviously important. If the measurement was taken only days after the cutover, a lot of the 20% could still be coming back, but they just need some time to get a converter, antenna, etc.

one local station has said they're going to LOWER transmitted power.
I may lose that station.I've already lost NBC.(but don't miss it...)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Lowering transmitter output power doesn't necessarily mean lower ERP if they are switching to a better antenna at a better tower position.

The station is already airing warnings that VIEWERS may need "better antennas" or to relocate their existing antenna.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Does that sound like progress to you? ;<)
TMT
Robert wrote:

Some are of the opinion that watching network TV (plus PBS) and respect for the accomplishments of George Bush are inversely related.

All you whiners wanted change and now you have it so shut the hell up.

Robert wrote:

how long do you envision it taking you to produce a suitable replacement and thus have someone new you can blame for your misery, shortcomings, failures and overall unhappiness?

really?

Could be a very long time. Here in the Peoples Republic of NJ, the Democrats are still blaming Christie Whitman for everything wrong in this state. And that would include being in the top 3 for total taxes, high real estate taxes, a sales tax that was recently pushed to 7%, being in the top 3 for auto insurance costs, drowning in over regulation, being at the bottom of the list for amount of federal aid received vs the amount we send to feds in taxes, etcc. Whitman left when Bush was elected in 2000 to head the EPA. Ever since, the Dems have had not only the governor spot, but also solid control of both the Assembly and Senate, something Whitman never had. Anybody remember Jim (I'm just a gay American) McGreevey? And they have both Senate seats and most of the House seats for NJ. Yet they continue to somehow blame Whitman for everything.

South Park? You can get South Park via broadcast TV?

Well, yeah, at least around here. The local fox station (no cable required to receive) carries the episodes about 2 weeks behind first broadcast on Comedy Central.
"Robert" wrote

Robert, wait and see if that's still true on the day. Many stations have not swapped at all so the ones you are 'missing' are still pumping analog at full gain. Come the swapover, they start pumping full gain at digital. For now, most digital arent at full power. Thats what the local news here says. Mom's getting the same in the papers in her semi-rural area.
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 22:15:42 -0500, "The Henchman"

PLONK