The year we lose our TV signals

Page 2 of 15
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:34:33 -0800 (PST), BobR

Oh SHUT THE FUCK UP for God's sake !!!!!

Go FUCK yourself, it seems to be the only thing you are capable of doing.

and a player

Here's a tip though: The new copy protection in the brodcast signals is NOT detected by the old VCRs, and they WILL copy those "protected" movies. I just got thru testing an old one this week; an RCA model. So at least those will still let you record a show while you're away from home, which you can't do with a lot of them and the new recorders.

Thanks for the tip. I have 2 RCA models that I use, and 1 still in the box for future use. I hope they last my lifetime. I'm old, so they should. LOL
Cheri

that would be the Digital Rights Management or DRM.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I'm still running W98SE. although a printer/scanner/copier I bought SAID on the box it would run under W98SE,they deleted the drivers for W98/ME from the disc. they did change an addendum sheet -inside- the carton,but failed to change the carton's support chart on the outside,and required archive sites to DELETE the already-written W98/Me drivers.
Microsoft SUCKS.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Why does Microsoft suck? Did they make the printer? Does your Ford or Chevy dealer still stock headlight assemblies for you 1952 model? When you buy a new computer or peripheral you know it will be out of date when you get it home and won't be supported after a few years.
wrote in message

Especially since the drivers are only the responsibility of the printers manufacturer.
wrote in message

The driver was ALREADY CREATED,and IN circulation. It existed UNTIL -MS- set a date of June 30,2007. there was no reason for MS to REQUIRE it be removed from a 3rd party's driver disc,nor to require the driver be removed from archive sites. MS just wanted people to be unable to use W98SE.
That makes it entirely Microsoft's fault.So,they SUCK.
I can see not -creating- drivers for older systems after the cutoff date,but not deleting existing drivers from archive sites.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Could you give us a reference to MS mandating that legacy software - or any software for that matter - be removed from circulation.
It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I don't believe you.

If that is true then yes, they do suck.
Jim Yanik wrote:

Micron comp. with W95 - I "raised" it from the system mess it came with (Win. 3), through the first version of W95 and, finally, to the good version of W95........it did far more, without crashing, than my Dell with ME. Learned I could find any file somewhere on the net - there must be a driver somewhere that can be downloaded for your printer. The mfg. website almost always has old drivers to download.

I say XP is worse (though tolerable) and Vista is much worse.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I still use both of the Win98's for most stuff, but use Vista for the internet. I don't hate Vista, but I don't care for it all that much either. The Windows Mail in Vista is sadly lacking IMO.
Cheri
dadiOH wrote:

You know, I've heard of that 35mm thing but I shoot 645 and 6x6. But then I've also talked to some who are really big on 4x5 - I even know one guy who swears by 8x10 - go figger. Have you noticed how muffled things sound from where you have your head stuck?
snipped-for-privacy@hamiltoncom.net (AL) says...

The interesting thing is that 35mm is a wide screen format. In the movie theater, that format is called Vistavision. The negative is 24mm x 36mm, which is a 2:3 aspect ratio. If you print a 35mm negative full frame, the print is 8x12. After the success of Cinerama, they started using anamorphic lenses in filming and projection to give an even wider format.
The 3:4 ratio was from 16mm film, which was cheaper and plenty high quality for TV production. Now that TV doesn't use film any more, there's no economic reason not to broadcast a wide screen format. If somebody insists on sticking with the old 3:4 tube, they can either letterbox the picture or crop the edges. The new digital technology gives them the choice. In the old days, they just cropped the edges for TV broadcast.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

You can even get color on the TV now. How's the old Zenith working out for you? Can you still get tubes?
dadiOH wrote:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/politics/story/58733.html
$174,000 X 535 senators and representatives = 93090000 dollar laugh...
...and the manufacturers get to sell new,

using the public's natural desire to covet and crave coupled with their gluttonous inherent appetite for the newest toys has long been the means by which industry has been able to keep the cash flowing into their coffer.

You hit the nail right on the head with what you said. The govt will make a killing selling these frequencies to cell phone companies. so those companies can continue to pollute our youth with their toy cellphones. If cellphones were only used for business and personal emergencies, like they were intended, we would nto need more frequencies.
I dont buy the "Progress" concept at all. In a fringe rural area, I can get analog signals that may be a bit snowy at times, but I can still watch them. With digital tv, it's ALL or NOTHING. I can NOT watch a program when the screen goes blank every few minutes. As far as picture quality, their ads say how much better it is. To that I say BULLSHIT. At least not on a standard tv with converter. But then, I have always been satisfied with a regular tv picture. I am not trying to get a home theater, I just watch tv. About the only real improvement in many years was stereo sound.
Like you said, Wide screen is just another useless "innovation". I personally could care less. And for those who think HDTV is better, I disagree. I have looked at many of the HDTV sets on the stores, from the low end cheap ones to the most expensive. For some reason I always end up watching the cheapest ones referred to as SDTVs. The ones with the CRT. For some reason those LCD screens give me a headache, (literally), and I do not care for the picture. It looks fake. Closeups of faces look like they are made out of plastic. Nature scenes look a little better, but I still much prefer the CRT sets.
But like everything, these companies will continue to brainwash consumers, particularly the youth who have been programmed to NEVER be satisfied with any consumer product, and always want more. I'm elderly, I have been watching analog tv on a CRT for many years. There have been great improvements since the 1950s, and the tv sets made since the 1990s have been superior. Now we can all go back to the 50's where we have poor reception. Poor reception, but in wide screen HDTV color...... Whoopie. I AM NOT IMPRESSED !!!!
Robert