The Twinkie: Will it return as a Mexican expat?

Page 2 of 2  
"The Daring Dufas"

As to the possibility of a turn around, not so long as the same management/owner team was in charge. Might have made it if it had been run by someone else at a point much much sooner in the process but ...
Just look at the history. Recall continuing to repeat the same actions and expecting a different out come is ...
Perhaps the first bankrupt court should have kept the working stiffs and out sourced management? Said as a joke but ...
I must confess that I've watched the same process play out at other companies. One was, coincidently, a regional bakery, still another was a viable medical garment manufacturer. All were done in by investors with MBAs but no real world experience in the nuts and bolts of the business they purchased.
Seriously just how much of your money would you be willing to bet? Especially if you were able to look behind the curtain?
Bean counters can be dangerous. American Airline management out sourced maintance and had to ground much of their fleet because the contact maintenance team did not mount the seats securely. Seats came unglued in flight.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/24/2012 7:12 PM, NotMe wrote:

I see silly things done by corporate management all the time, that's why I work for myself. I gave up on the corporate world many years ago. One of the biggest disasters was the implementation of Affirmative Action and quota hiring based on some arcane mathematical formula. I fear the downsizing that's going to come about because of the silly Obama Care will see companies getting rid of competent employees and keeping Affirmative Action morons and PC protected species because if those of their ilk are let go, they'll run screaming to The EEOC with their hair on fire and the companies would collapse under the weight of employment discrimination lawsuits. It is potentially more work for me because I get called in to mitigate technical cluster coitus events caused by incompetent morons. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The companies I see complaining most are the ones that don't provide benifits currently. Those companies that do will continue to do so and will see if not a reduction in cost at least a slowing of the increase. The one's I'm assorted with are not large by any measure but this past year the increase were on the order of 3-5% and we're told to expect the same or lower next year.
I've been in the real world for a long time and back in the 60's during the EEOC dust up we always had qualified applicants. Might have been the result of the fact that we did not play the race game and as a result had our prick of the best.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/25/2012 12:15 AM, NotMe wrote:

My darker skinned cousins who are smart really hate that crap because it colors(no pun) the way a lot of people perceive them. The biggest mistake most people make is believing that Affirmative Action only concerns skin color. I use the theoretical example of the White female quadriplegic gymnastics coach. The real example is what happened to me and a number of guys I knew back in the 70's. We knew our electronics and worked in the field but wished to get our broadcast engineers license which would make it legal for us to be doing the work we were doing anyway. We took a course in preparation for the test so we wouldn't have any problems and one person in the class was a young woman. She was nice enough, I liked her and one of my friends wound up going out with her. The biggest difference between her and us guys besides her curves and plumbing was the simple fact that she didn't know one end of a soldering iron from the other but she did know that a screwdriver was for screwing(bad pun). We all passed the course, went to Atlanta to The FCC office, took the test and everyone from the class passed the test and received a First Class FCC License. One person from the class was immediately hired by a radio station while the rest of us were pretty much ignored and turned away. If you have any brains you can surmise which member of the class went to work for a radio station and why she was hired. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It is merely an exercise in, and an example of, capitalism. Enjoy it, because with the coming socialism, we shall see fewer and fewer of them.
Steve
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/22/12 2:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

It isn't really about the product as such. The stubbornness of the one union is more interesting. I don't think of the Teamsters as pushovers. Yet, even they wanted to keep the company going. This one union will cost a lot of people their jobs. Better half a loaf than none at all.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 15:46:55 -0600, Dean Hoffman

More interesting is that the Teamsters wanted to keep it going, yet their employees won't have any problems finding new jobs. Bakers? Who's going to hire a whiny baker?

They're a few slices short of a full loaf, for sure.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:16:40 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

You seem to care enough to lie about the situation.

Of course you're wrong but that's nothing unusual, either.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Hostess did NOT overpay their executives. The company DID try to promote significant bonuses to keep the key players on the job during the liquidation, but that idea was shot down by the bankruptcy judge.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

So you're saying that the company clearly knew the game was over BEFORE the union went on strike?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
NotMe wrote:

No, I did not say that. Why would you insist on putting words in my mouth?
I can, however, imagine the following conversation:
Director of Operations: "Bill, if the company files for liquidation, I want you to understand I'm outta here. I've already had two offers of employment."
CEO: "Charlie, we need you to shepherd the process of the various plants and physical assets. What will it take for you to stay through the final dissolution?"
Director of Operations: "At least an additional $300,000."
CEO: "I'll see what I can do."
Point is, it would cost Hostess FAR more than the $300,000 (or whatever) if certain key employees left before the dust settled. This is not the case for the rank and file. They are nuts and bolts in the corporate machinery and can be replaced off the shelf.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The Director of Operations and the CEO were apparently part of the team that ran this ship aground.
They could always hire one or the other liquidation companies (several are coincidently based in DFW) to do the deed for far less money. And yes there are companies that do that sort of work, who are good at the task, are profitable at the game and they typically work for much less than the numbers put out on the raises/bonuses paid to the Hostess management.
Again it matters not as the company has been in the toilet for years and as a result of the current management. As a rule of thumb it's not wise to hire the captain who ran the ship aground as the person in charge of the salvage operation.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I would say they had a petty good idea, and were already scouting new locations. Watch how quickly they rebound, with the load of heavy union pay removed. Just how skilled a worker does it take to make a Twinkie with automated equipment?
Steve
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Who cares about the Twinkie or any of their junk food. There are plenty other junk foods sold. I would not pay the store price before this happened, I sure as hell wont pay more on ebay. Of course ebay only exists for rip off sellers to make a fortune and suckers to pay their outrageous prices. Thats why I have not used ebay for years.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:22:18 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

I don't agree about ebay if you are a smart shopper. As for Twinkies, I hope it's brought back for tradition tho I haven't eaten one probably 30+ years so I guess personally it won't matter to me. I too just laugh at those trying to sell Twinkies at ridiculous prices. I think they will be eating a lot of their own Twinkies <g>.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What is a "Mexican expat"?
An "expatriate" is a *person*, and it's sometimes abbreviated "expat". "expat" is also the name of an open-source XML parser.
I sure hope Twinkies don't come to life, unless they kill off the zombies.
I can only assume that someone writing news doesn't know how to spell "export". Twinkies might reasonably become a Mexican export. Perhaps they can be used as emergency levees when another hurricane is approaching. Just be sure they are marked "Danger: Do Not Eat".
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/23/2012 7:02 PM, Gordon Burditt wrote:

You may be suffering from H.I.S.I., pronounced "hissy". It stands for (H)umor (I)rony (S)arcasm (I)mpairment. People with that particular mental disease are said to have H.I.S.I. fits and often put on a big display of pseudo-intellectualism about the subject at hand when they fail to see the humor or bizarreness of statements made by someone who is attempting to pull their leg. It's also called The Mr. Data response in some circles. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 19:02:03 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@burditt.org (Gordon Burditt) wrote:

As Mitt Romney says "Twinkies are people, my friend"
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@burditt.org (Gordon Burditt) wrote:

I disagree. I think they were going for expat because they (erroneously) thought it was a cute headline and hook for the reader.
--
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late
to work within the system, but too early to shoot
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It is clearly a sign of a person who has not traveled much.
Steve
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.