The things ya see in houses ...

Page 2 of 2

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Hi, Nothing wrong with it. They contain a filter(like fresh charcoal filter) to circulate air thru. Better than nothing. Who said it must be vented outside?
On 1/22/2010 7:58 PM Tony Hwang spake thus:

Hi, You're not reading, or not comprehending. THERE WAS NO CHARCOAL INSIDE THIS UNIT! Just a fan. Got it?

- a Usenet "apology"

No, post a photo.
On 1/23/2010 12:46 PM ransley spake thus:

You're joking, right?
Look, the thing is as simple as can be. I have it sitting in the back of my work truck, waiting to be recycled.
It's a metal box the width and depth of the range and about 3" high. In the front is a door that swings up lengthwise to open the vent in front, which pushes the power switch to turn on the fan. Fan is a small plastic jobbie on a shaded-pole motor. The thing sucks in air in the front, and discharges it out a back opening into a vent. Got it?
Except that the knock-out hole in the back was never removed, because there was no vent attached. (It was simply installed against the unfinished drywall behind the range, with a hole cut out for the power cable.) From the looks of it the unit was never used much anyway; there's a little grease on the fan blades, but not much. (There's one of those metal mesh filters behind the front opening that probably absorbed the bulk of the grease.) The current homeowner never used it, didn't even know about it.

- a Usenet "apology"
On Fri 22 Jan 2010 08:58:30p, Tony Hwang told us...

No one said it had to be, but it's a much better option.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Did it have or was it designed to hold a multi layered expanded aluminum screen? The recirculating types have the screen for collecting grease. And dust, of course, sticks to the grease buildup. If the filter is not cleaned regularly, the whole purpose of the hood is defeated.
TDD
On 1/24/2010 7:59 PM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

Yes, there was such a screen when you opened the door that operates it, but I'm telling you this was *not* a recirculating unit. Was never intended to be. There was a knockout on the back for the duct opening, still intact.

- a Usenet "apology"
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I've seen the same sort of insanity or slacker work.
TDD
On 1/25/2010 11:21 AM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

Check out the links Bill posted in the "Local Building Codes" thread down yonder. Just some amazing shit.

- a Usenet "apology"

In my attic....a fan in a gray metal housing attached to the inside of the roof, but with no hole to vent to the outside. Perhaps I might want to circulate the air inside my attic?
Mike