The things ya see in houses ...

No, post a photo.

Reply to
ransley

On 1/23/2010 12:46 PM ransley spake thus:

You're joking, right?

Look, the thing is as simple as can be. I have it sitting in the back of my work truck, waiting to be recycled.

It's a metal box the width and depth of the range and about 3" high. In the front is a door that swings up lengthwise to open the vent in front, which pushes the power switch to turn on the fan. Fan is a small plastic jobbie on a shaded-pole motor. The thing sucks in air in the front, and discharges it out a back opening into a vent. Got it?

Except that the knock-out hole in the back was never removed, because there was no vent attached. (It was simply installed against the unfinished drywall behind the range, with a hole cut out for the power cable.) From the looks of it the unit was never used much anyway; there's a little grease on the fan blades, but not much. (There's one of those metal mesh filters behind the front opening that probably absorbed the bulk of the grease.) The current homeowner never used it, didn't even know about it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On Thu 21 Jan 2010 09:19:37a, Doug Miller told us...

Our kitchen is in the middle of the house with a microwave/ventilator mounted over the range. Apparently there was no problem venting it to the outside, as it had both options. Thankfully, the installer had better sense to not choose the recirculating option.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 22 Jan 2010 08:58:30p, Tony Hwang told us...

No one said it had to be, but it's a much better option.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I had the same call, but it was the cold air return register in the living room. Someone didn't like it, so they boarded it over.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Did it have or was it designed to hold a multi layered expanded aluminum screen? The recirculating types have the screen for collecting grease. And dust, of course, sticks to the grease buildup. If the filter is not cleaned regularly, the whole purpose of the hood is defeated.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On 1/24/2010 7:59 PM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

Yes, there was such a screen when you opened the door that operates it, but I'm telling you this was *not* a recirculating unit. Was never intended to be. There was a knockout on the back for the duct opening, still intact.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I've seen the same sort of insanity or slacker work.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On 1/25/2010 11:21 AM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

Check out the links Bill posted in the "Local Building Codes" thread down yonder. Just some amazing shit.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

In my attic....a fan in a gray metal housing attached to the inside of the roof, but with no hole to vent to the outside. Perhaps I might want to circulate the air inside my attic?

Mike

Reply to
Mike