The things ya see in houses ...

Page 1 of 2

... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented. What were they thinking?

- a Usenet "apology"

They were probably thinking, there's no convenient means of venting to the outdoors, so we'll install one of those ventilators with an internal charcoal filter, the type that is made specifically for use in places where there's no convenient means of venting to the outdoors.

Yea I've seen those all over, in houses and apts. Usually caked with grease pretty bad.
On 1/21/2010 8:19 AM Doug Miller spake thus:

They may have *thought* that, but I can assure you that thought never materialized: no charcoal inside the vent, just a small fan.

- a Usenet "apology"
On Thu 21 Jan 2010 09:19:37a, Doug Miller told us...

Our kitchen is in the middle of the house with a microwave/ventilator mounted over the range. Apparently there was no problem venting it to the outside, as it had both options. Thankfully, the installer had better sense to not choose the recirculating option.

Worse yet; one vented into the attic spewing grease all over everything & waiting to become an accelerant.

That one I haven't had the misfortune to see yet. But the internal recirculators are just about useless in my experience. THey just blow things around and dilute the smells/odors.

I agree. Vent it outside or don't bother.

You really thought all range hoods were vented outside, old apartment buildings and places without ductwork are why units have the option to vent inside. Lighting is the main reason they sell.

re: "Lighting is the main reason they sell"
I thought the main reason was to hold up the microwave. ;-)
On 1/21/2010 12:59 PM ransley spake thus:

This one was vented *nowhere*. Whatever little air actually got sucked inside the thing would just spin around a little bit.

No lights in this one: it was between the top oven and some cabinets just below the ceiling, so no place for a light.
But hey, thanks for playing.

- a Usenet "apology"

Now I'm really confused. First you said it was a kitchen ventilator installed above a range/oven combo. That made sense. Those are common and are a small range hood type device. Some are vented outside and some use a filter and vent back inside. But, how the hell can you have a kitchen ventilator installed between the top oven and cabinets?

On 1/23/2010 6:21 AM snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net spake thus:

If one is an idiot, anything is possible. There it was, wedged (literally) between the range/oven combo and the cabinets up above. No hood: just a front door that could be pushed open to turn the fan on. Of course, even if it had been vented it would have been useless, as the cooking vapors would have had to curl up around the oven and into the intake.
Totally useless.

- a Usenet "apology"
David Nebenzahl wrote:

They may be safer than the ones that vent outside. Seems like no one ever cleans the ones that vent outside. The flue pipe gets filled with gunk.
Jimmie

"vent" but the light over the stove works fine.
By international code, unprotected combustibles can't be less than 30" above the stove top. So they put the metal hood over the stove, and as an afterthought they put in a light, and a fan and filter to make the owner think it's really gonna do something.

By international code, unprotected combustibles can't be less than 30" above the stove top. So they put the metal hood over the stove, and as an afterthought they put in a light, and a fan and filter to make the owner think it's really gonna do something.
International code ? Unprotected combustables ? WTF are you smoking ? Stop bogarding it and pass it over hear....LOL...
snipped-for-privacy@but.us.chickens says...

I may have run across the same handyman. A friend moved into a house a few years back. Come winter time, they asked me to look over the furnace as it only ran a minute or so at a time. It was a new 80% furnace and who ever installed it never cut out the side panel for the air return! It had no air flow except for what leaked and the over temp shut it down pretty quickly each time.
It was an old style open return sytem, no return ductwork. I cut it out and installed a filter housing and it ran fine.
--
Dennis

I had the same call, but it was the cold air return register in the living room. Someone didn't like it, so they boarded it over.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus