The things ya see in houses ...

... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented. What were they thinking?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

They were probably thinking, there's no convenient means of venting to the outdoors, so we'll install one of those ventilators with an internal charcoal filter, the type that is made specifically for use in places where there's no convenient means of venting to the outdoors.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Worse yet; one vented into the attic spewing grease all over everything & waiting to become an accelerant.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

That one I haven't had the misfortune to see yet. But the internal recirculators are just about useless in my experience. THey just blow things around and dilute the smells/odors.

Reply to
hrhofmann

You really thought all range hoods were vented outside, old apartment buildings and places without ductwork are why units have the option to vent inside. Lighting is the main reason they sell.

Reply to
ransley

re: "Lighting is the main reason they sell"

I thought the main reason was to hold up the microwave. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:hj9uqt$pb9$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Yea I've seen those all over, in houses and apts. Usually caked with grease pretty bad.

Reply to
Red Green

a lot of range hoods just filter and vent back into the room.

Reply to
Steve Barker

They may be safer than the ones that vent outside. Seems like no one ever cleans the ones that vent outside. The flue pipe gets filled with gunk.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I may have run across the same handyman. A friend moved into a house a few years back. Come winter time, they asked me to look over the furnace as it only ran a minute or so at a time. It was a new 80% furnace and who ever installed it never cut out the side panel for the air return! It had no air flow except for what leaked and the over temp shut it down pretty quickly each time.

It was an old style open return sytem, no return ductwork. I cut it out and installed a filter housing and it ran fine.

Reply to
DT

On 1/21/2010 8:19 AM Doug Miller spake thus:

They may have *thought* that, but I can assure you that thought never materialized: no charcoal inside the vent, just a small fan.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 1/21/2010 12:59 PM ransley spake thus:

This one was vented *nowhere*. Whatever little air actually got sucked inside the thing would just spin around a little bit.

No lights in this one: it was between the top oven and some cabinets just below the ceiling, so no place for a light.

But hey, thanks for playing.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Bought a house about a year and a half ago with one of those. Never use the "vent" but the light over the stove works fine.

Reply to
tom

ote:

Reply to
Michael B

International code ? Unprotected combustables ? WTF are you smoking ? Stop bogarding it and pass it over hear....LOL...

Reply to
benick

Hi, Nothing wrong with it. They contain a filter(like fresh charcoal filter) to circulate air thru. Better than nothing. Who said it must be vented outside?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I agree. Vent it outside or don't bother.

Reply to
Tony

Now I'm really confused. First you said it was a kitchen ventilator installed above a range/oven combo. That made sense. Those are common and are a small range hood type device. Some are vented outside and some use a filter and vent back inside. But, how the hell can you have a kitchen ventilator installed between the top oven and cabinets?

Reply to
trader4

On 1/23/2010 6:21 AM snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net spake thus:

If one is an idiot, anything is possible. There it was, wedged (literally) between the range/oven combo and the cabinets up above. No hood: just a front door that could be pushed open to turn the fan on. Of course, even if it had been vented it would have been useless, as the cooking vapors would have had to curl up around the oven and into the intake.

Totally useless.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 1/22/2010 7:58 PM Tony Hwang spake thus:

Hi, You're not reading, or not comprehending. THERE WAS NO CHARCOAL INSIDE THIS UNIT! Just a fan. Got it?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl