The theory behind the riding mower

Just let it grow for 5 years. Then rent a self-propelled walk-behind high-powered brush mower (at least 30" cut with 17HP or better motor) and clear out all the weeds and bramble and smaller trees. Make a few wide paths that can be maintained with a riding mower.

I did this on 5 acres of my property and it looks great. Some of the trees are 18' tall after only 5 years. What a view from the bay window. In the middle I made a small clearing for a secluded picnic area surrounded by Honeysuckle and Serviceberry and Russian Olive.

Reply to
Ether Jones

According to ameijers :

For some strange reason, cutting down everything on the property is a rather common trait in home building. Then you have to buy back your own topsoil...

It's a good idea to consider "filling in" gaps etc., as part of good management practises.

If you can find a source of seedling trees (eg: a reforestation nursery), particularly conifers, you can plant a lot for cheap, and they usually require _no_ maintenance.

Back in '93, we bought 250 white pines for about $50 and planted them ourselves. Now some of them are >30', we've had

Reply to
Chris Lewis

On the other hand, walnut or beech trees will feed you in your dotage, and help put your grandchildren through college, so plant a mix. And *NOBODY* plants boxwood for lumber anymore. :-(

Reply to
Goedjn

not around middle georgia...land is fairly cheap..I have 15 acres on a modest income from a one job family.I only have 1 acre of grass though...lol

Reply to
digitalmaster

especially black walnut.

Reply to
digitalmaster

digitalmaster:

How cheap? How much would 15 acres set me back? Wooded or field, with access.

Reply to
Mac Cool