The surveyors are coming!

"Chickens" pretty much says there is no zonng and probably no building code/permits. Agricultural buildings are usually exermpt from all this stuff and most places with zoning will "zone out" farm animals, partucularly chickens first.

Reply to
gfretwell

says there is no zonng and probably no building

My post was in reply to Jeff's story, not the OP's.

RicodJour

I don't know if he got (or even needed to get) a permit for what he did, though I suspect he didn't. However, I don't think that bringing the town down on him over that would have gained me anything other than giving him another reason to think of ways to "get even" with me.

Regarding the shed he added right against the property line, it is far enough away from our house and back yard and screened by foiliage so that it's not really a bother. Complaining to the town about that would not benefit us in any significant way and I would feel like I was just lowering myself to the neighbor's level.

I think my answer to that is what others here have said here so many times. Getting into a pissing contest with a skunk living next door rarely wins you anything you'd really want. YMMV.

It was a "dog in the manger" situation, the land the neighbor "grabbed" was nothing we could make practical use of without major landscaping efforts, but it was part of the lot when we bought it 21 years ago so we own it and pay taxes on it.

I figured if that neighbor had any class he'd agree to pay the taxes on the land he's using as though it were his, and we could both feel that were getting a fair deal. I also offered to sell him that bit of land for it's tax assessed value if he picked up all the legal and filing costs of the transfer, but he didn't spring for that either.

So, as one of my previous sig lines read, "What do you expect from a pig but a grunt?"

However, his house has been on the market for most of the past year. I spoke with and wrote a letter to the real estate agent telling her she'd be well advised to inform potential buyers about that encroachment and tell them they'd be wise to get it straightened out as part of any purchase process. She promised she would. We'll see if that happens.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Why is that? Chickens are allowed in many citys.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

"stay da course?" wrote in news:georgew.k- snipped-for-privacy@sn-ip.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net:

Burn it.

Reply to
Al Bundy

That's different. If it's for sale, you should definately make a legal stink about it, and then while that's going on, have an agent make a low-ball offer for it. Then you can solve the problem however you want, and either sell or keep the thing.

If the guy's moving out, why do you care how pissy he gets?

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

What state are you in, you better learn the law of Adverse Possession and find out how long he has been there and the building itself, and if he put it up or the previous owner, because he may OWN the encroachment and more if he has maintained it. He could have moved in yesterday and be "Tacking" on the previous owners desire or not . Laws might be from

5-30 yrs, in my state its 10yrs for Adverse Possession to be complete. Find out your states law and time limit and post back, you could be in trouble if he has a claim and is willing to enforce it so removing the building is not a bad idea now. Make friends now and try to feel him out. Im involved in that crap right now, you dont want to go there if you can avoid it. You need his survey , the county surveyors office or a surveyor will have one. You are going to get alot of wrong- bad advise here on this, and you have ,such as removing it before you research the facts and know the laws.
Reply to
m Ransley

Id suggest besides an atty take photos of the whole area, alot of quality digital photos now before the cold temps kill everything. I do mean details in photos down to any rock or peeling paint or pole, and where he cuts his grass, so take a hundred , its just a file to store.

Reply to
m Ransley

The only one I know of is Key West and they are feral pests.

Reply to
gfretwell

Depends on the state as to the effect of encroachment, certainly fencing encroached land changes rights in some state, but has no effect in other. My dad sold his place and the timber company that bought it had the land surveyed. They found that the actual property line was about

10 feet past the fence line. The timber company immediately moved the fence over. My dad had owned the land 50 years and the fence line was in before he bought it. Funny thing, my dad tried to buy a 10 foot strip over 14 mile long, the same one indicated above, but the neighbor didn't want to sell.
Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Only if he is generally a chicken!

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

When you bought it, you didn't happen to get title insurance did you?

You need to consult your attorney because you're in a quagmire. But before you do, go look at your deed and see what it says. There are various types of deeds where the seller makes various representations. The least representations are a "quit claim deed' where the seller doesn't even certify that he owns the property -- he is selling you whatever he owns, if he owns anything at all. The "best" deed for the buyer is a "warrenty deed" where the seller warrents that he owns it. If you have a warrenty deed and there are encoachments, you might have recourse against the seller. So go check you deed and call your attorney.

Reply to
Pat

There are plenty in Seattle.

Reply to
Bob F

I think recourse against the seller isn't gonna work in light of this:

"we bought this place with the understanding that there was an encroachment. "

And what would you try to make the seller do now anyway? The real issue is first to resolve the encroachment. Until that is done, the owner doesn't have any way to prove monetary damages, loss, etc.

Reply to
trader4

I wasn't in school yet and sent to feed the chickens. The damn rooster spurred me, so I got the entry closed and ran to the house. My GAunt grabbed the axe, and I had to select the lunch.. the rooster included dumplings and peach cobbler..yummy (grin).

-- Oren

Oren