The state of our country

Page 2 of 3

wrote in message

the
And if the local governments say No, exactly what can Washington do about it? Cut off the money they stole in the first place?
Well, there is always the nuclear options- IIRC, the state legislatures, acting in concert, do have the theoretical power to call another constitutional convention, even against Congress' wishes. I know it'll never happen, and I shudder to think of what else they might change, but methinks somebody does need to remind Congress about who works for who.
aem sends...

But it is still OUR money. School boards complain about unfunded mandates, but in reality, they want them so they can continue to build an empire with taxpayer money, no matter the source. Sooner or later people will realize it takes more than money to educate children, but for not, they will just keep asking for more money.
wrote in message

Very true.

Not exactly true. In Illinois, taxing districts have the option to "capture" assessment increases. A typical example is when a 2 bedroom ranch is converted into 5 bedroom McMansion. Taxing bodies can be set up to use that increased assessment to collect more money.

That is allowed and one purpose of re-evaluation, to keep things "fair" according to real value. I'm talking about the same house. One day it is assessed at $100k, then next it may be $200k, as may be all the other houses in town doubled. If the town budget is the same, the mill rate will be lowered to reflect the changes.

Well, "we the voters" allow it to happen because we all get something from it. Have you ever voted against a congressman because he got funding for some project where you live? This is what congressmen really and truly do, they make sure that money flows back to their district.
> rant mode off

Nobody sees HVAC, but a new roof sure does look nice...

Say nothing and appeal your assessment if you don't like it.

Thats because:
1) as Federal funding decreases, local governments cut back on spending, and
2) local governments raise taxes in very subtle ways, nickle-and-diming the average Joe six-pack, and sticking it to businesses so that Joe six-pack is less aware of it. The money still has to come from somewhere.
On 03 Jun 2006 00:37:24 GMT, "badgolferman"

And no giant mutant octopi roaming the streets and sucking out people's brains.

Finally, somebody gets it.

Life is good.
Oren
They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction. Janet Reno, Attorney General, Friday, February 27, 1998

Sure. If I ran my credit cards up to the limit, bought plasma TVs, new cars, luxury cruises, etc, life would be good.
But who is going to pay the bills?
That's what this government has done. Your grandkids will pay for the "good times".
On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 13:48:53 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"

They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction. Janet Reno, Attorney General, Friday, February 27, 1998

Your grandkids???

Keyboard to chair malfunction. This was sent to soon, meant the next post.
Oren
They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction. Janet Reno, Attorney General, Friday, February 27, 1998
On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 13:48:53 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"

Get a date. Work hard, save and also have fun. Cut up the cards, plan for the plasma, pay off the car before you retire, enjoy the cruise.
Life is good....

Mrs "Buck Turgidson"?

Honestly tell me now that you have sat down with your grand kids and discussed financial planning.
Oren They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction. Janet Reno, Attorney General, Friday, February 27, 1998
My opinion is that you just want to stir up crap on a newsgroup. I'm sure the political groups would be happy to discuss it with you.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote in message

sure
Agree, unless GW is for hire to paint my kitchen, this is the wrong newsgroup. ;-)
Cheri
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message wrote in message

Maybe he thinks the White House is in need of repair?
Bob

Basically who cares? It's to late he's in. Politicians I don't lie except about lying.
Sacramento Dave wrote:

I spend a good bit of time answering questions on this board. if you dont care dont comment. sure its somewhat OT but so are lots of other posts. I just wondered what others who hang out think, and wether iraq will effect the next congressional election?
I am concerned someone hacking my wireless network could visit a porn site or terrorist connection and get me picked up, perhaps without duer process, without a search warrant etc.
heck they might torture me, to find out what I know which would be ZIP. The lack of concern for the loss of constitional protections has me very worried for the future.
heck if they can track so much why not just put microphones in every home? after all its for our protection.

Then you should know well enough to take the coversation to a group where it isn't off topic