The state of our country

Page 1 of 3
Well as of now whats your opinion? We have the war in Iraq, congressmen on the take, the feds monitoring every phone number we call, every internet keystroke and e mail, no doubt theres a master database for each ands every one of us.
A national ID card is sure to come to stamp out illegals. combing a AVID chip refering to our retina scan, photo, fingerprints and SS number, and DNA sample. That avid chip could be easily used to ID people as they pass by any location.
Now we know the feds have black prisons, approve of torture, permanent detention without due process.
basically is Bush doing a good job?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com, 6/2/2006,8:23:11 PM, wrote:

Negligible unemployment, roaring economy, lower taxes, no terrorist attacks since 9/11, and so on.
All in all, I'd have to say America is in better shape.
--
"Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." ~
Flannery O\'Connor
badgolferman wrote:

Hi, I know laughing is a good medicine. People like you provide that for other cool headed crowd. Thanks,
On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 02:05:25 +0000, Tony Hwang wrote:

I can assure you that I'm quite a bit better off today than I was 5 years ago. No question about it.
Now, for folks like you working for minimum wage, it probably does suck. Of course, it's easier to blame GWB than yourself, isn't it?
Linux Registered User #327951
Dan C wrote:

Hmmm, I am outside U.S. Retired comfortably have everything I need/want.
Dan C wrote:

Then you're one of the few.

things are great here too.

Tony Hwang, 6/2/2006,10:05:25 PM, wrote:

I'm not the one fretting over the state of the nation. Actually I can see the bigger picture than the OP and henceforth am much more cool-headed. Now, if we could get ILLEGAL immigration under control I'd be even more optimistic.
--
"The moral rot of political correctness runs deep today in both
national parties." ~ Patrick J. Buchanan

Apparently you don't pay property taxes.

run for city council or county commissioner..that's who controls your property taxes.The question was is bush doing a good job? your property taxes are not controlled by him.I think property tax should be outlawed.Why should I pay rent to the government for something I already own?

As off topic as this is...
...you don't pay rent. You pay for sewer lines, and a paved street in front of your home and garbage pickup and snow plows, etc...
Although property taxes really should be based on the number of occupants, not the value of the home.
Noozer wrote:

Lets not forget police, fire protection, schools (although that is a separate property tax in some areas), libraries, courts, storm water drainage system (separate from sewer - and REQUIRED in some areas)
All of our tax system federal down to local, is almost always a progressive tax. Those who can afford to pay more, generally do. Live in a big expensive house, the theory is, you can afford to pay more tax than someone living in a 750sq ft shack built in 1955 that looks like it is ready to fall down. You are by yourself in the 6000 sq ft mansion worth $2.5M, and 5 people share the 750 sq ft shack. Who should pay more tax??????
Robert Gammon wrote:

The five. Taxes should be REgressive, not PROgressive. The poor use more governemental services (usually), so why shouldn't they pay more? In your examples above, the rich (can) have their own security guards, send their children to non-government schools, buy whatever books they need, and are almost never found in night court or prison. The affluent don't get food stamps, rent supplements, or government health care, use subsidized public transportation, or receive the "earned income tax credit."
The rich should pay SOME taxes: they do take advantage of national security and, uh, roads.
On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 12:04:48 +0000, Noozer wrote:

Not quite accurate. I pay a *seperate* bill for sewer service and garbage pickup. I suppose the taxes pay for the sewer pipes that were put in, but how many years does it take to pay that off?

Hard to evaluate the number of occupants, and it can change pretty easily.
Linux Registered User #327951

There is no one perfect way to assess taxes. A quiet family of six will put less strain on the public systems that a a couple on welfare with a wife beating husband where the police come out on a weekly basis to haul hiss ass to jail overnight. Should snow plowing be assesed on the number of cars you own, the distance you drive, or the street frontage of your property?
If you promise not to go out after dark should you still pay for street lighting? If you don't drive should you pay for street repairs?
Don't get me started on the waste in our shool budgets.

Local governments receive a certain amount of federal dollars. As federal taxes are lowered, local governments receive less federal money. To make up the difference, property taxes are increased.

Depends on the state and how hard they make it raise taxes. Also, I have yet to see anything remotely resembling a 1:1 increase in state taxes resulting from a decrease in Feds.

federal
make up

I know this is off-topic for the group, but I can't resist jumping in here. Why should money for local functions go through Washington, so they can skim their 20% off the top? If it is money for local government functions and infrastructure, it <should> be paid by local taxes. This whole 'federal aid' thing is a scam. 40+ years of this 'free' federal money has resulted in way too much power flowing to DC, and Federal usurpation of functions that should be done at the local, county, and state levels. He who has all the gold makes all the rules, etc.
rant mode off
And to throw in a little to keep this on topic- last year, the township I am in decided to build a new fire station/municipal building. They also, on the fourth try on a non-standard election day, finally got a bond issue approved to pay for it. Last week, I got a letter stating they would be coming around to re-assess my house, and that I could expect them when they knocked at my door. I just replaced the HVAC, and the roofer starts Monday. Are these PM replacements likely to bump my assessment even more than they would likely raise it anyway?
I've got a folder from when I bought this place last year, showing what all the actual sale prices on this loop-street subdivision were for the last several years. Should I make a point of mentioning that if I am home when they do their walkaround? I <know> what the nearby houses are worth, so they shouldn't try pulling a number out of their ass?
aem sends....

It is a way of getting things approved. Uneducated voters will vote against a particular item if it is funded locally, but the idions will vote "yes" if the state or feds pick up 80% of htthe e cost. See, we're getting a good deal. Just try to explain where that state or fed money is coming from and they give you a blank stare.

Assessment is often required by law every 5 or 10 years. Normal upkeep should not affect anything. Adding rooms, adding a bath or pool will. You will probably find each house on the block to be very close to each other if no major changes have taken place. Most of the work is done by independent companies that have no interest in giving you a higher or lower than normal assessment. They have also heard every lame excuse too.
Assessment does not always mean a tax increase. If every property in town is doubles, the mil rate of the taxes would be cut in half. It does make for corrections if industrial property changes in relationship to residential though.
wrote in message

[snip]
It also helps cover the local cost of meeting new federal mandates, requirements which originate in Washington and direct local governments to do something but without providing funds for the task.